Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2019, 23:13   #61

Re: Lagoon Escape Hatches Falling Out

Hi Allen. My lagoon is a 380 from 2008. The hatch has no hinges and is adhered to the hull by sikaflex or similar. Moreover the inside wooden panel is overlapping the glas.consequently it looks like that the Lagoon 380 probebly doesnt have the problem described wtith the larger Lagoons. Could it be so?
Canarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 03:30   #62

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarios View Post
Hi Allen. My lagoon is a 380 from 2008. The hatch has no hinges and is adhered to the hull by sikaflex or similar. Moreover the inside wooden panel is overlapping the glas.consequently it looks like that the Lagoon 380 probebly doesnt have the problem described wtith the larger Lagoons. Could it be so?

As far as I know the fixed breakable glass hatches are all the same. If you read this thread, a similar vintage lagoon lost their hatch. Perhaps contact a lagoon dealer to get more info.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 13:36   #63

Boat: L450

This is how the Lagoon installed kit looks like three months after installation....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LagoonKit.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	205520  
sailnw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 16:25   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnw777 View Post
This is how the Lagoon installed kit looks like three months after installation....

That doesn’t look good at all. You should notify a lagoon dealer so they can know there is a potential problem.
Old 22-12-2019, 16:45   #65

Quote:
Wow, that is exactly the picture I had in my head upon first glance at this flimsy retrofit.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 17:35   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Wow, that is exactly the picture I had in my head upon first glance at this flimsy retrofit.
Already sent the photo to the dealer who will hopefully will forward to Lagoon. Clearly this is not a way to address a very serious safety issue potentially affecting thousands of lives at the moment....
Old 22-12-2019, 17:44   #67

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Really, really, dislike those escape hatches. Ive never heard of one being used for "excape", only for flooding a boat. Bad idea. Solid fiberglass over the opening would be a much more effective solution than those flimsy brackets.

...and those holes they drilled in your hull to install, did they drill them oversized and fill them? Is there core in that area?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 17:51   #68

Didnt see what drill bit they used since it was done by the dealer in Marmaris (really nice guy) from the dinghy. Hard to tell if its cored or solid around the hatch, but it is above waterline so most likely there is wood inside. Fiberglassing over or putting some other reliable fix is clearly the next step. Lets see what Lagoon is going to answer to the question - "is it safe to operate this vessel"
Old 22-12-2019, 22:39   #69

Quote:
Already sent the photo to the dealer who will hopefully will forward to Lagoon. Clearly this is not a way to address a very serious safety issue potentially affecting thousands of lives at the moment....
This is apparently an email recently sent to Lagoon owners. Perhaps you should send a note to Lagoon19009@cnb.fr with a photo which would get to Lagoon sooner.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Maintaining a permanent focus on the reliability and safety for our customers in our boat building is always a high priority objective for CNB LAGOON.

The safety standards that apply to Catamarans oblige us to fit our boats with emergency exits in case the boat capsizes. That is why our Catamarans are produced with escape hatches under the deck bridge.

Since 2007, we have installed GOÏOT brand fixed hatches, made of a “Securit” glass glued onto an aluminium frame and screwed on each hull. In case of capsize of the boat, the glass hatch must be broken allowing the crew’s evacuation.

However, over the past 12 years, since we have been equipping our catamarans with these products, we have faced a few rare cases of the glass detaching from its aluminium frame, causing water entry into the boat. This has revealed that those escape hatches have no safety device to prevent the fall of the glass in case of detachment.

LAGOON has designed with its supplier GOIOT retaining parts to secure these escape hatches easily, preventing the glass from falling in case of detachment.

LAGOON has set up a technical team ready to work with you to organize the installation - at no cost to you – of these retaining parts which can equipped your boat.

This team can be contacted at the following e-mail address : Lagoon19009@cnb.fr

In each e-mail that you send us, please indicate the boat type and identification serial number, dealer name where you bought the boat and/or the one of your boat maintenance shipyard.

THIS NOTIFICATION IS ONLY FOR CATAMARANS BUILT FROM YEARS 2007 TO 2019 AND EQUIPPED WITH GOIOT BRAND ESCAPE FIXED HATCHES.

If your boat was sold to a third party, kindly inform us of their name and address by return mail Lagoon19009@cnb.fr

Thank you for your understanding and waiting for your reply,

Yours Faithfully,

Yann MASSELOT

Chief executive”
Old 23-12-2019, 05:11   #70

Quote:
Didnt see what drill bit they used since it was done by the dealer in Marmaris (really nice guy) from the dinghy. Hard to tell if its cored or solid around the hatch, but it is above waterline so most likely there is wood inside. Fiberglassing over or putting some other reliable fix is clearly the next step. Lets see what Lagoon is going to answer to the question - "is it safe to operate this vessel"
To clarify: by fiberglass I mean remove the hatch and glass in the opening completely...its just a bad idea. I believe they are put in for sales and marketting purposes more than anything else...to address the fear of capsize..."oh look an escape hatch! No worries." [emoji849]

Glass em in...no worries for real.

I did an Atlantic crossing on a Lagoon 38 in May-June...it has the break away tempered glass variety...one sharp whack from floating debri and you've got a large hole in the boat at the water line. We precut plywood dead eyes for each of the escape hatches and for those big windows in the side of the hull (another liability) which could be installed quickly in the event of a hatch/window failure.
Old 23-12-2019, 05:37   #71

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
To clarify: by fiberglass I mean remove the hatch and glass in the opening completely...its just a bad idea. I believe they are put in for sales and marketting purposes more than anything else...to address the fear of capsize..."oh look an escape hatch! No worries." [emoji849]

I did an Atlantic crossing on a Lagoon 38 in May-June...it has the break away tempered glass variety...one sharp whack from floating debri and you've got a large hole in the boat at the water line. We precut plywood dead eyes for each of the escape hatches and for those big windows in the side of the hull (another liability) which could be installed quickly in the event of a hatch/window failure.
This is the right thing to do. Seal them up. Glass them. They are just a bad idea overall.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 14:14   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

- A liability, a bad idea, but I believe compulsory one in EU to get EU certification.

- how did you intend to tightly attach the plywood precuts, if needed? I keep thinking about best way to secure those liabilities, but cant think on anything both safe and practical
Valiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 14:29   #73

Boat is already built...no need to apply for any cert.

An alternative would be to build proper permanently installed dead eyes for them. Hinged solid covers that can be properly dogged down.

Our provisional solution was big ass screws and a strong battery operated drill w extra battery in charger. Worst case, big screw driver (In retrospect, lag bolts you could pop a ratchet/socket on might be better...esp if no power). Boards (plywood) were predrilled so would only need to make starter holes for screws in hull using boards as a template. Rubber sheeting on back to help form a seal. Even if seal less than perfect sure beats a big ass hole in the boat.
Old 23-12-2019, 14:47   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
- A liability, a bad idea, but I believe compulsory one in EU to get EU certification.

- how did you intend to tightly attach the plywood precuts, if needed? I keep thinking about best way to secure those liabilities, but cant think on anything both safe and practical

If you look further up the thread, there is a great solution, Post #44. They used plywood with a rubber seal, mounted outside. I think that is the only way to go, too much pressure for inside mounted solutions.

I inquired at a yard about glassing over the escape hatches, they refused citing potential liability.
Old 23-12-2019, 16:30   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
I inquired at a yard about glassing over the escape hatches, they refused citing potential liability.
You asked in the wrong country.

Tags
escape hatches, hatch, lagoon