Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2018, 05:56   #1

Lagoon - Forward Compartment Beds

We are deciding wether our not to fit out both forward compartments in our new 450F as additional sleeping areas. As you probably know, this is a factory option and we are strongly considering it. My thinking is that I can always cover the mattress in there and get some storage for fenders and the like when no-one is occupying the area. I am sure there will be a loss of space if I choose to do this but I am not sure how much. I am coming from a 43 foot monohull and just can't imagine what we will do with all the storage space on the new boat!

I would like to hear from other Lagoon owners regarding how much space for storage I lose if I choose the option to fit these both out for small sleeping areas. Also anyone who may have one or both set up with accommodations, I would like to know what your experience has been using one or both of them.

FYI: We ordered the 4 cabin layout and our boat will be in charter for years 1-4 (ish), afterwards we plan to cruise for many years with grandchildren, children and others visiting regularly.

You will see this post on FB in the "Lagoon Owners" group as well.
BobScaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 07:24   #2
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Lagoon - Forward Compartment Beds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobScaggs View Post
We are deciding wether our not to fit out both forward compartments in our new 450F as additional sleeping areas. As you probably know, this is a factory option and we are strongly considering it. My thinking is that I can always cover the mattress in there and get some storage for fenders and the like when no-one is occupying the area. I am sure there will be a loss of space if I choose to do this but I am not sure how much. I am coming from a 43 foot monohull and just can't imagine what we will do with all the storage space on the new boat!

I would like to hear from other Lagoon owners regarding how much space for storage I lose if I choose the option to fit these both out for small sleeping areas. Also anyone who may have one or both set up with accommodations, I would like to know what your experience has been using one or both of them.

FYI: We ordered the 4 cabin layout and our boat will be in charter for years 1-4 (ish), afterwards we plan to cruise for many years with grandchildren, children and others visiting regularly.

You will see this post on FB in the "Lagoon Owners" group as well.
if the boat goes on charter then IMO you should take that option, much better if the boat is rented with a pro skipper, at least one if possible. Just curious, how much that it cost ?

Mine didn't have the option and the previous (and first) owner installed floors & mattress by himself. I wish he had selected that option from factory... You can put the mattress on the sides and you still have a lot of room there !

The side cupboards that come with the option don't take much space (at least on a L440) and are welcome if someone is to sleep in there.

Last but not least, try not to put anything heavy in there. A good weight distribution is important to prevent hobby horsing.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 10:03   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
if the boat goes on charter then IMO you should take that option, much better if the boat is rented with a pro skipper, at least one if possible. Just curious, how much that it cost ?

Mine didn't have the option and the previous (and first) owner installed floors & mattress by himself. I wish he had selected that option from factory... You can put the mattress on the sides and you still have a lot of room there !

The side cupboards that come with the option don't take much space (at least on a L440) and are welcome if someone is to sleep in there.

Last but not least, try not to put anything heavy in there. A good weight distribution is important to prevent hobby horsing.
Not a Lagoon owner, but a charter captain who has run lots of Lagoons. When the forward spaces are outfitted for crew, we call them "crew coffins". They are fine for stowing crew and other such excess gear, but they are cramped with poor ventilation. If not opened up ventilated and cleaned regularly, like when turning around a charter boat, they tend to get funky inside...especially bedding or other similar materials.

Regardless of how you choose to outfit them, think about ventilation and regular thurough cleaning.

Personally, unless I planned to run the boat in charter, I would outfit them for lightweight gear storage. Maybe one side for docking stuff like fenders and lines, and the other a sail and rigging storage. Include ways to hang lines in both...like a stainless rail to hitch them too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 00:39   #4

If you use these compartments for storing fenders and mooring lines, as we do, believe me a mattress won't survive long in their company. It's often unavoidable to stow wet, salty fenders and lines in there. There's no such thing as too much storage. Or too much electricity, fresh water, fuel, etc. Perhaps wait til its out of charter and you have used it yourself for a while? Actually sleeping in there would be highly undesirable.

Then again, when the mother-in-law comes to visit. ......☺
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 01:07   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450

They would be just terrible sleeping spaces. They are valuable and very necessary storage spaces for fenders, rods, ropes, inflatable paddle board, etc,etc,etc.
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 10:37   #6

Boat: Lagoon 570

My Lagoon 570 has one side converted as a cabin from the factory. If I am not mistaken it cost 10,000 euros to do this. The previous owner did this when he bought the boat new. No one has ever slept in it, ever. But it sure sounds good to have an extra cabin. One person would fit nicely. I have seen no problems with the mattress or other items having any mold at all. Very clean. I pile tons of things in there to store them. Fenders, air mattress, suitcases etc. In my case open storage would be better. But if we ever get a boat load of family would be a great place to send someone.
Timreyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 12:45   #7

Boat: Amel 50

On my ex L450, the port forward compartment had the bed from the factory. This area has no ventilation unless you leave the hatch open. Also, my eyes would sting if I would stay in there too long. I would never subject anyone to sleep there. I removed the mattress and used the space for storage...
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 19:14   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450

I have that option ( both fitted as crew rooms with mattresses) and indeed one of them has a head and shower fitted ( under the folding floor). I have had a number of occasions to sleep in there ( when i had lots of guests on board) and i found it fine. In fact it was a nice escape from the rest of the boat. Mine both have portlights fitted that open to the inside of the hulls looking out under the trampolines. They also have the hatches over head and i have both fitted with insect screens. In summer with both opened it was a pleasant place to sleep.
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 11:05   #9

My has the beds fitted. This still leaves a huge amount of storage space when they are not being slept in. Having the beds does provide extra flexibility.
I guess it comes down to cost v benefit.
caymancat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, lagoon, men