Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2013, 00:51   #1
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Lagoon steering cable issue

Just a note for anyone to have a look at their steering cables/pulleys.
Today I decided to track the problem of squeaky steering we have had a long time but haven’t bothered to try fix. I greased the pulleys where the cable runs and adjusted the cable tension and no luck. Then I found the noise is actually coming from the pulleys at the rear, accessed from the engine bay. Close inspection showed the pins that hold the pulleys in place were working their way out. The port one was almost completely up. Also the split pins that are supposed to hold the pin from falling were broken in pieces both sides. I guess the constant turning eventually wears through the pins. I’m glad I found this before they came out totally and caused us to lose steering completely! Will need to find a permanent fix, I have asked Lagoon to advise.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 05:04   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Lagoon steering cable issue

A pic showing the pin with the temporary replacement coathanger wire I put through the hole in the pin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	64145  
Old 16-07-2013, 15:27   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Yes Monte,
This has been a known issue & has been mentioned a few times on the Lagoon Owners Forum. Its still good to remind & make people aware of the problem.

Fortunately for us my mate found the potential problem just before we left on our maiden voyage home after picking up Seabreeze from Hamilton Island.

Like you, we found the shafts nearly all the way out. Would have made for a great time at sea in the dark.

Dave
Seabreeze L380 #241
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 23:44   #4
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

thanks Dave, I couldn't really see any resolutions on the yahoo group, just a mention or two of it being an issue. Any ideas or links to ways to resolve it permanently?
Im thinking maybe a stainless bolt with no thread for the first 20mm and a nyloc nut under. Strange Lagoon hasn't altered the design.
Old 21-07-2013, 17:23   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
thanks Dave, I couldn't really see any resolutions on the yahoo group, just a mention or two of it being an issue. Any ideas or links to ways to resolve it permanently?
Im thinking maybe a stainless bolt with no thread for the first 20mm and a nyloc nut under. Strange Lagoon hasn't altered the design.
Monte,
I suppose the more permanent fix would be to remove the shafts & drill them to take a much larger split pin. In our case, as we were stretched for time, we used SS seizing wire tightened across the whole bracket above & inline with the pins to stop them moving upwards. Has worked well for 2 years now. We figured that all we had to do was stop the upward movement & that the existing holes through the shafts were useless for any decent size pins/wire so we ignored them. The wire above only has to limit the upward movement & not have to worry about the turning movement of the shaft.

It's a b..... of a job in the confined space.

I'll try to get a photo next time I'm at the boat.

Yeah you would have thought that Lagoon would have improved this setup over the 800 boats to date.

Dave
Seabreeze L380 #241
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, steering