Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2017, 05:23   #1

Large Symmetric spinnaker

Does any one know the dimensions of the large symmetric spinnaker for the Lagoon 450, Ie. the Luff Leech and foot length. I am interested in actual measurement or Sail maker specs, Thanks.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 05:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 2016 Lagoon 450F 45'
Re: Large Symmetric spinnaker

Following...
Houston450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 06:53   #3

Boat: L 450

buy a Wingaker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2039.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	154787  
Darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 16:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksyde View Post
buy a Wingaker
Far too expensive and less power.
Old 26-08-2017, 05:10   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440 OV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Far too expensive and less power.
LOL we have a 120 sq m Symetric Spinny which we like, our friends have a 140 sq m Parasail. Now that sail rocks. Set and forget.

The Symetric needs constant attention, even on a cat. If I were to do it agian I would get a bigger Asymetric, or Cruising Chute.

The parasailors and wingakers are not short on power
Old 26-08-2017, 10:22   #6

I am after the 2044 sq ft (190 m2) spinnaker dimensions that is an option on the Lagoon 450 - per the operators manual.
Old 27-08-2017, 04:46   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450

168 sq m Wingaker on L450. Great sail and enough power. https://youtu.be/Lo2_XBaZi6Q
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 06:47   #8

Getting it for a race not a cruise.
Old 27-08-2017, 16:09   #9

Smile Re: Large Symmetric spinnaker

I guess I'll just go with 60 ft luff and 37 ft foot * .9 = 2000 sq ft close enough I think. Can pick a good used one up for about $800 - $1200 less than 10% of Parasailor. I don't plan to use it to set and forget crossing oceans, more about close to DDW in light air. (we already have a gennaker and asymmetric for reaching) Not for true blue racing either. I like the challenge when coastal sailing or between islands, of catching and passing Monohulls or similar sized cats, keeps me occupied tweaking sales and strategising on wind shifts and currents. You can tell the challenge is on when they spot you and do a sail change. All in good fun.
Old 28-08-2017, 18:21   #10

I'm with you Bean Counter. Parasailors and Wingakers are asking crazy prices. Nice sails and all but the price tag?

Luckily for us we share the sailing community with others who don't worry about the price of things. Half their luck! This includes the Race Boys, who often regularly upgrade sails, selling nice used spinnakers quite cheaply. It's possile to stow a couple of these on a cruising boat in various sizes to suit the conditions, a big light air beast and a smaller heavier chute for DDW in a blow. All can be procured for a small fraction of the price of a Parasailor and you'll not be too concerned if they get damaged.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 21:33   #11

Boat: L 450

I paid 6 K for my Wingaker

M
Darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 22:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksyde View Post
I paid 6 K for my Wingaker

M
Hi M,
Not sure what currency is used on the Darksyde, but it sounds like you got a bargain.

I was quoted more that twice that sum in Australian Dollars for a new Parasailor, and then bought a good condition used symmetrical spinnaker for AUD$500. Still going strong 2 years and many downwind miles later. I'm with the Bean Counter on this one.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 03:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Hi M,
Not sure what currency is used on the Darksyde, but it sounds like you got a bargain.

I was quoted more that twice that sum in Australian Dollars for a new Parasailor, and then bought a good condition used symmetrical spinnaker for AUD$500. Still going strong 2 years and many downwind miles later. I'm with the Bean Counter on this one.
From what I know (just by lurking on sailing forums) Parasail much more expensive than Wingaker. Dont know about relative perfomances against each other though or if a diference in quality/lifespan compensates for pricing difference.
I might be wrong as well
Valiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:51   #14

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Hi guys,
Can anyone please help. I'm embarrassingly green and new and struggling with our gennaker. When we agreed to buy our boat, I discussed with our broker that I'd like a sail for broad reaching on long distance sails as we plan to sail around the world. It's become apparent to me that what we got is not necessarily what we really need. Plus I'm having real truoble flying it. In fact, everyone hates the sail but I won't give up.

I'll attach a pic of exactly what we got including sizes, I'm not even sure if it's a gennaker?

We also got a furling system as we are new, the plan was that this would make our lives easier until we got more confident. I always planned to drop the furled sailin strong winds and store it but our sail when furled is sooo loose the wind pulls the top out and we have not even tried to launch or recover in anything over 10kts.

Also our sail is much thinner than expected and really only good for very light winds which is fine but we will need something for down wind in 15kts plus.

Sorry if this is a high jack but I thought you guys are the right people to ask.
davedindubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:53   #15

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Send a message via Skype™ to davedindubai

Here's the sail pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	155214