Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 09:30   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450F
Location of AIS transceiver

Hi,

Anyone know where the factory optioned AIS (the NAIS400) is located in the boat. Expected to find it somewhere near the nav station but couldn't see it there.

Thanks
Dennis
dcareri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 13:17   #2

Re: Location of AIS transceiver

Mine is to the right of nav station, behind the settee, underneath the mast post area. Accessed through back of settee. L450 2013.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 03:49   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 2016 Lagoon 450F 45'

At risk of hijacking the thread, how does one change the name that is broadcast through AIS. In general, I'm looking for online help configuring and using all factory installed electronic systems (B&G). The manuals provided were not very useful.
Houston450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 08:01   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450F

PaulinOz, thanks for the info. I'm not sure why I didn't think to look there. It sure would be nice if stuff like this was documented somewhere. My large users manual is in Spanish so it hasn't been very helpful to a non-Spanish speaker but I don't recall seeing almost anything in there about the electronics which isn't surprising given that they are probably not installed but the factory.

Houston450, that's the exact process I'm going through since the 450 I purchased was previously documented in the UK and I'm changing to USCG documentation. From my research the AIS and EPIRB need to go back to the manufacturer or authorized service center to be recoded.

I'm also finding out that figuring out how and where the electronics were installed and configured is a bit of a mystery. I suspect you could hire someone to figure it all out for you but I prefer to stumble along and learn as I go.
dcareri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 08:37   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

You need the freeware "ProAIS2" on a notebook conected with USB to the NAIS 400 Mini-USB Port. But as far as I know the MMSI can only be entered once. This is also the case in the radio, however, B&G told me how to do the factory reset (B&G V 50). I would ask B&G / Navico for it.
Ulstue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 08:59   #6

Location: France in summer, aboard GALAWA in Caribeans in winter.
Boat: Catamaran PRIVILEGE 435

As ULSTUE wrote, you can change the name of your ship broadcasted by your NAIS 400 transceiver, using "ProAIS2" on a PC connected to the NAIS 400 Mini-USB Port.
But you cannot change the MMSI this way.
If you go to MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking made easy | AIS Marine Traffic you can change the description of your ship (i.e. photo, name, name of owner....) which other vessels can view when connected by satellite or AIS shore station.
Old 18-10-2016, 09:23   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

What you enter or change in "MarineTraffic" is only in Marine Traffic.
Other vessels can over AIS only recieve the data you entered in your AIS-Sender.
Ulstue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 10:21   #8

Location: France in summer, aboard GALAWA in Caribeans in winter.
Boat: Catamaran PRIVILEGE 435

ULSTUE is right about boat name,GPS position, boat speed, destination, ETA etc.... which are transmitted by your AIS
But your AIS transponder does not send past track, the photo of your boat, the name of the owner, etc...
These are recorded with MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking made easy | AIS Marine Traffic and can only be found there by other vessels if they have access to this web site.
Old 19-10-2016, 19:24   #9

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulstue View Post
You need the freeware "ProAIS2" on a notebook conected with USB to the NAIS 400 Mini-USB Port. But as far as I know the MMSI can only be entered once. This is also the case in the radio, however, B&G told me how to do the factory reset (B&G V 50). I would ask B&G / Navico for it.
Don't know where you are, if in the US, only a authorized installer can't enter this info. Says so in AIS manual. FCC violation to do it yourself.

Know many people who have used the SW and done it. Ssssshhhh!

USB cord from NAIS to your computer, simple to use, if it already has data in it, you just need the reset, just need to get the right tech on the phone to get the info.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 10:49   #10

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALAWA View Post
As ULSTUE wrote, you can change the name of your ship broadcasted by your NAIS 400 transceiver, using "ProAIS2" on a PC connected to the NAIS 400 Mini-USB Port.
But you cannot change the MMSI this way.
If you go to MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking made easy | AIS Marine Traffic you can change the description of your ship (i.e. photo, name, name of owner....) which other vessels can view when connected by satellite or AIS shore station.
Hi,

The MMSI in the AIS, and VHF can be changed... there is a way, as we had it done here in Malta for our boat... and remember to add the new MMSI to the chartplotter so it knows who you are and doesn't constantly alert you to danger.

Regards, Rick
Rickthesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais