Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2018, 03:32   #301

Re: Love my Lagoon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
we have extra factory installed stbd winch. works well and no probs handling screecher singlenhanded on both tacks.

Overnight we got most weather so far. Consistent 40-50 kn seen max 55 kn. 5 cats and 1 mono in anchorage our boat smallest. Screecher held up without a glitch.

Thank you. Very helpful.
rtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 20:22   #302

Boat: Hanse 348

Without uv coating, are you worried about leaving the sail up all the time? Also, I have a gennaker, what is the difference between that and a screecher?. Mine is also on a furler looking exactly like yours. Clew of sail has velcro to sort of hold it wrapped when furled.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 20:32   #303

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Without uv coating, are you worried about leaving the sail up all the time? Also, I have a gennaker, what is the difference between that and a screecher?. Mine is also on a filter looking exactly like yours. Clew of sail has velcro to sort of hold it wrapped when furled.
screecher gennaker, same thing to me. As I see it, it is just larger jib, another level of reefing. Say for upwind, up to 15 kn app - screecher, up to 20 full jib, up to 26 1 reef in main, etc, as per lagoon manual. It is 76m2, carbon. UV protection is that white stuff, apparently some high tech material, forgot the name. It is around 0.5m wide. See pic. It appears no rain comes thru either, as I have checked recently. Mold is killer for carbon sails. Maybe it is actually done well, still not sure.

I will have it on when in sailing mode, not really all the time. And is especially good in super light winds as it does not collapse even in 3kn app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UV.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	175914  
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 07:13   #304

Boat: Hanse 348

Looks like you have a high tech sail and sort of a cover. Mine is just dacron, and has nothing along the leech. Might be worthwhile for me to contact a sailmaker. I have had my boat for 2 summers now, and I just put this up 2x. I usually have very little help sailing, so if I have someone with sailing experience, easier to use.

One issue I had is that it was hard to furl. I have a very short continuous line that came with the furler, and basically had to lay on the trampoline to keep it from coming out of the groove, the angle to pull on seems critical. Then it also seems that part way through the furl, the wind would catch some sail and it would completely unfurl on me.

I was worried about leaving it up and having it unfurl on me. Your idea of putting a 'lock' through the furler is great idea. Any other tips are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180805_113442.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	175926  
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 01:10   #305

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Looks like you have a high tech sail and sort of a cover. Mine is just dacron, and has nothing along the leech. Might be worthwhile for me to contact a sailmaker. I have had my boat for 2 summers now, and I just put this up 2x. I usually have very little help sailing, so if I have someone with sailing experience, easier to use.

One issue I had is that it was hard to furl. I have a very short continuous line that came with the furler, and basically had to lay on the trampoline to keep it from coming out of the groove, the angle to pull on seems critical. Then it also seems that part way through the furl, the wind would catch some sail and it would completely unfurl on me.

I was worried about leaving it up and having it unfurl on me. Your idea of putting a 'lock' through the furler is great idea. Any other tips are appreciated.
you can check my blog, scroll down 3 posts or so. there are all pics of my setup. Note that it took many bottles of merlot to figure gennaker setup out.

I would verify first that your boat can actually handle forces that are required by gennaker. If you go upwind, your leech has to be very tight and that requires some real force in halyard. You can choose not to go against wind that sharp, if you not sure.

https://www.yit.nz/yacht/papiga

we had today nice passage, managed 50 % apparent with gennaker only. My wife is screaming at me why it took me so long to figure out.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 00:20   #306

Boat: Lagoon 450

What’s not to like [emoji16] https://youtu.be/gBdPnXzg-6c
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:12   #307
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

I could be wrong but I believe both sails are what lagoon calls "code 0". That is (allegedly) an upwind sail. Those are very flat and can reach 40AWA if properly setup, halyard tighten like crazy. That's the very best I can do with mine which looks pretty much like Jbinbi's. I would expect a gennaker to be slightly bigger and of course not that flat, typically meant for say 90AWA.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:22   #308

Boat: Looking now. Proud AP sailer

Hi Scottster. Stumbled on this thread then checked out your channel. Great info I must say.

Any updates?

Keep up the good work.
John_char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 15:16   #309

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Anybody know what happened to Scottster (OP for this thread)?
Old 21-02-2023, 08:21   #310

Boat: Lagoon 380

Have a 380 and love it as well. Very happy for you!!!
jamestaggart007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 08:24   #311

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
I think he moved to the relevant Facebook groups just like most people (for brand / model related info)
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 08:32   #312

Boat: Leopard 38+; Corsair F-31UC

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Currently in Australia headed to Tasmania.
Trvlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 22:11   #313

Boat: Looking now. Proud AP sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestaggart007 View Post
Have a 380 and love it as well. Very happy for you!!!

Just to revive an old thread.

Like many people here were are dreamers but getting closer and closer to our dream - still 5 years [emoji25]

Now is seams that some multihull aficionados(read: dreamers) prefer the larger multis maybe for the space, but how does the 38 - 40 foot multihull go? Are they still the goods for long cross ocean passages? Are they stable, does the hobby horsing get a bit much?

I ask as I’m reading the bumfuzzle blog, only half way through their first year, and they sail quite happily on their 35 footer.

Some insight into this would be appreciated?

For context. It’s only the missus and myself. We are still novice but do have a bit of experience club racing other people’s boats. We are content with smallish spaces, we are often on the road exploring with our small off-road camper - just upgraded with a nice lithium setup complete with Victron fanboy gear.

Cheers all.
John_char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 11:52   #314

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_char View Post
Just to revive an old thread.

Like many people here were are dreamers but getting closer and closer to our dream - still 5 years [emoji25]

Now is seams that some multihull aficionados(read: dreamers) prefer the larger multis maybe for the space, but how does the 38 - 40 foot multihull go? Are they still the goods for long cross ocean passages? Are they stable, does the hobby horsing get a bit much?

I ask as I’m reading the bumfuzzle blog, only half way through their first year, and they sail quite happily on their 35 footer.

Some insight into this would be appreciated?

For context. It’s only the missus and myself. We are still novice but do have a bit of experience club racing other people’s boats. We are content with smallish spaces, we are often on the road exploring with our small off-road camper - just upgraded with a nice lithium setup complete with Victron fanboy gear.

Cheers all.
Check the early YT videos of TheSailingFamily, IIRC around 2009/2010.
They sailed a 380 and posted a few detailed videos when YT wasn't yet a big thing.

Larger boat means more effort to clean and maintain, less time & money for nicer things.

We have a Lagoon 380 and simply love it.
The only thing we don't like is the round salon settee. There is simply no place to stretch out. Otherwise perfect boat.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2023, 08:19   #315

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3802...are_group_link

Scott feel free to join looking to add everyone I can find with a 400 to help create a wharehouse of knowledge about our vessels!
ascarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon