Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2016, 12:19   #1

Boat: Lagoon 39
Mounting Wind Generator on Transom of Lagoon 39

The time has arrived to install a D400 wind generator on our 2014 Lagoon 39.

The decision to determine which brand of wind generator is completed and ordered - a D400.

Now comes the time to install. For us a free standing tower vs an arch over the transom is the direction we are headed. For those of you with installation experience (especially on a L39) I'd love to hear where and how you mounted: guy wires, stainless, etc. Brake button? Heat Disipatator? And, if so kind as to provide and idea on installation cost?

Also, any helpful installation tips is appreciated.

The D400 micro wind turbine
faa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 18:40   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: Mounting Wind Generator on Transom of Lagoon 39

My 2 cents are to try avoid shading any solar panels, or your solar charging capacity might be severely restricted. If not possible to avoid shading research if you can minimize effects by connecting panels in parallel possibly (that's a whole other subject), and overall I found there are a lot to study to make an educated installation.
Other thing is safety, blades should be high and far enough so they can't mutilate crew..
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 19:07   #3

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Mounting Wind Generator on Transom of Lagoon 39

For the Caribbean, mount on the port side. With the predominantly east wind, the sun is usually falling on the starboard side and would cast shadows on solar if mounted there.

I just mounted a D400 on our monohull. We used 2" aluminum schedule 40 pipe up 6' and then welded 1-1/2" to the top of that (3'). You'll have to get the bearing machined to fit schedule 40 pipe. We have one 1" sch 40 pipe ran forward to the toerail from a height of 5.5' as a brace and a dyneema stay going to mid ship to brace the other direction.

I'm using a cheap $40 wind charge controller with solenoid connected to two 300 watt resistors as my dump load (haven't used it yet).

Matt

Tags
generator, lagoon, wind, wind generator