Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2016, 07:24   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Navigating Lagoons price list - Sails & Covers !

So, the sleigh ride to boat ownership continues.

After researching buying an ex charter and doing various renovations (as per other posts), we've huffed and puffed our way to a decision. That being, all starts aligning, we've ended up in the strange place of being about to order a NEW Lagoon 42.

However, the hurdle to overcome prior, is Lagoon's Price list !!. So looking for a hand with anyone that has done it to decipher it for sure.

NOTE: Yes, I know part of dealers job should be to do this, but i'm looking for, lets call it, independent commentary....

So. Can anyone explain EXACTLY what comes with each of these options ?

1. Sails:

- ASYMMETRICAL SPINAKER GEAR
- CODE 0 RIG AND POLE

I'm trying to determine, just what they come with. Some literature mentions a winch, some dosn't. It is unclear if they overlap with each other, or not.

It is also unclear if I should just not bother, and get this all LATER. But if it is a winch, I prob want it fitted from Lagoon.

Note: I'm aware this dosn't include the sail

2. Covers.

Anyone know the difference between these two:

- SIDES AROUND AFT COCKPIT WITH WINDOWS TAUPE
- COCKPIT SIDES AND AFT SUN CANVAS TAUPE

They seem mutually exclusive, or overlapping. But also a fair difference in price !

Regards
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 08:04   #2

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42
Re: Navigating Lagoons price list - Sails & Covers !

check PM
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 20:17   #3

What is the difference did you find out?
timandchanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 12:01   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post

Can anyone explain EXACTLY what comes with each of these options ?

1. Sails:

- CODE 0 RIG AND POLE

I'm trying to determine, just what they come with. Some literature mentions a winch, some dosn't. It is unclear if they overlap with each other, or not.

It is also unclear if I should just not bother, and get this all LATER. But if it is a winch, I prob want it fitted from Lagoon.

The Code 0 package includes the bowsprit on the front, fully rigged, two blocks towards the aft of the boat, and another winch on the non-helm side. It also includes the continuous furling hardware in a box. If you are thinking about a furling foresail other than the std genoa, it probably makes sense to get the factory install on this, as I imagine the aftermarket install of the winch and the bowsprit is a pain.

But be warned, you may never decide to get that sail, as spinnakers/wingakers/parasailors don't need the bowsprit or the rigging that goes along with it (but does need the winch and blocks).

I can't tell you the difference in the covers. There is usually an option for just covering the helm, and a different option for the entire cockpit.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:10   #5

Boat: Lagoon 42'

Hi Catapault

Regarding your query on the covers, I have obtained a photo of the first option. The covers are a series of individual panels of fabric that run from the bimini top and hang out and down and are tied off at the pushpit and lifeline stanchions. They are essentially designed as a series of sun awnings. They do not look practical to me as they obstruct access around the boat, and I don't think they are worth the money. If you PM me with your email address, I can send the photo if you wish.

My understanding is that the second option is the traditional set of clears with the vertical covers hanging around the perimeter of the bimini to provide full enclosure to the aft cockpit.

Cheers

Quote:

After researching buying an ex charter and doing various renovations (as per other posts), we've huffed and puffed our way to a decision. That being, all starts aligning, we've ended up in the strange place of being about to order a NEW Lagoon 42.

However, the hurdle to overcome prior, is Lagoon's Price list !!. So looking for a hand with anyone that has done it to decipher it for sure.

NOTE: Yes, I know part of dealers job should be to do this, but i'm looking for, lets call it, independent commentary....

So. Can anyone explain EXACTLY what comes with each of these options ?

1. Sails:

- CODE 0 RIG AND POLE

2. Covers.

Anyone know the difference between these two:

- SIDES AROUND AFT COCKPIT WITH WINDOWS TAUPE
- COCKPIT SIDES AND AFT SUN CANVAS TAUPE

They seem mutually exclusive, or overlapping. But also a fair difference in price !

Regards
Matagorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:02   #6

Much appreciated, thanks !.

I find it astounding they don't provide clear breakdowns for what is actually included in each option....

Its not even clear if the base boat comes with sails, or you have to pick the 'sails pack' option as an extra !

Regards
Old 08-06-2016, 08:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomda View Post
The Code 0 package includes the bowsprit on the front, fully rigged, two blocks towards the aft of the boat, and another winch on the non-helm side. It also includes the continuous furling hardware in a box. If you are thinking about a furling foresail other than the std genoa, it probably makes sense to get the factory install on this, as I imagine the aftermarket install of the winch and the bowsprit is a pain.

But be warned, you may never decide to get that sail, as spinnakers/wingakers/parasailors don't need the bowsprit or the rigging that goes along with it (but does need the winch and blocks).

I can't tell you the difference in the covers. There is usually an option for just covering the helm, and a different option for the entire cockpit.

Thanks !. Much appreciated.

Does this mean the Spinaker option comes with Winch as well, just no Bowsprit ? Also, Can I assume you don't need BOTH setups ? one of them will do ?. Its unclear what the Asym setup comes with.

Question: Why do you think may never get this sail ? From reading it seems to me on the new Rig its pretty much mandatory from about 60deg down to 120, then have a Parasailor/Asym spinaker take over for Running ?

Or am I missing something.

Regards
Old 08-06-2016, 09:50   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

Oh goodness, here we go again...

Catapault,
Sorry you are having such frustrations, but I have some info for you here that might help....
Quote:

Please have a look at some recent threads here, dealing with Lagoon Price Lists, and equipping/commissioning ideas and recommendations....
You will learn a lot...
(and I hope you get this info before you sign the contract!)

This one started with specifics on Lagoon 450:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1883554

This one started with specifics on Lagoon 40:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1906780

And, this one on the Lagoon 450, again:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2049368

Sorry, I don't own a Lagoon, nor any catamaran....but...
But, I do hope this helps...

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 14:31   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Quote:
Thanks !. Much appreciated.

Does this mean the Spinaker option comes with Winch as well, just no Bowsprit ? Also, Can I assume you don't need BOTH setups ? one of them will do ?. Its unclear what the Asym setup comes with.

Question: Why do you think may never get this sail ? From reading it seems to me on the new Rig its pretty much mandatory from about 60deg down to 120, then have a Parasailor/Asym spinaker take over for Running ?

Or am I missing something.

Regards
I do not know for certain what's in the Asym package, but I believe it is similar to the Code 0 without the bowsprit. Strangely, when I ordered you could only get one or the other. Note that the Code 0 package did not include the bow blocks.

For max speed, you probably want both sails (and maybe more!). But if your just cruising maybe not. The standard white sails do just fine, in my opinion, out to 110, and then ok/workable to 160 -- still 1/2 windspeed. I really only feel like I'm missing horsepower for close to directly downwind, and for long passages I feel it would be nice to rig a parasailor for long downwind passages, and I may not bother to rig the gennaker for the .75 knot it might give me over the standard genoa on reaches.

On the other hand, some people swear by wing/wing downwind configurations for long passages, with the genoa on one side and the gennaker on the other, and those people may never care to rig a spinnaker.

For max performance/racing, yes, you would want both for the angles you suggest.

Ideally, you would get both and see what works for you, but that assumes a large budget.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, price, sail, sails