Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2021, 18:48   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400
Need to replace boat zincs

The diver that keeps my hulls clean told me it’s about time to replace the zincs. Where can I find info on these so I can get them ordered? What size & how many on a 2010 L400? Thanks for your help
fthurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 19:09   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Need to replace boat zincs

There are usually two different types of anodes (zincs) a couple attached to the hull, these rarely need replacing, just a scrub (unless the diver says they are shot - and may be due to electrical leakage - which indicates a larger problem) and then those on the sail drives. You will need the brand and model number of the sail drive and propeller type. One would hope you have the manual, if not it will normally be stamped on the drive itself or a label on the engine room side. For example there will be two anodes per drive for a Yanmar SD50 with flexofold props- a split ring anode around the prop shaft and a propeller anode at the center nut. Your diver should have been able to tell you this anyway. The anodes for the sail drives are available from a multitude of anode suppliers in chandlers and on-line, you just need the model numbers. The sail drive anodes can usually be changed under water without need to haul out unless corroded on. There will be different materials the anodes are made from usually aluminum or zinc if the boat is to be kept in salt water. If in fresh water - magnesium or aluminum but not zinc.

As an example check out this site
https://www.boatzincs.com
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 05:20   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Need to replace boat zincs

Thank you for this info !
fthurlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat