Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2017, 10:23   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: New L42 owner - thoughts and questions

Whatever you do — do not go cheap on the paddles.

I have paddles and kayak raced probably 15k miles. 5 Times Everglades Challenge and once UFC. I say that not to brag, but to add credibility to my post.

The cheap aluminum paddles are heavy and you will get tired quickly. At the least read about a proper kayak stroke. It should not be an arm only motion. If your arms are getting tired, either the paddle is too heavy, or you are doing it wrong.

Snore
AKA SnoreBringGator
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 10:26   #32

Boat: Lagoon 46

Thank you. Yes I will keep you posted on the progress.
I bought the sails from Incidence- sails. They deal now with Lagoon. But I bought them separately. It’s one of the biggest sail maker in France
Tzigane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 15:46   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndfish View Post
Hi Guys- This is my first post on CF so hope I am following correct protocol...

Finally I would love to hear if anyone has any experience with the Iridium GO?
Welcome Houndfish, and congratulations on your new purchase. Yes, please keep us all updated with "the good and great, and the bad and ugly" aspects of your boat. This forum is great for sharing valuable information between owners.

We own and have used an Iridium Go! on coastal and ocean passages. There's plenty on this forum about the Go! , how to mount external antennae etc. I'll share our experience. We had quite adequate reception from inside our saloon with no external antenna. An external antenna would be the same or better, provided that the fragile inner cable isn't damaged during installation. We subscribed to the "unlimited" Atlantic Radio package. Downloading PredictWind forecasts and gribs was quite quick, as was texting to cellphone and other Iridium satphones. Be careful as calls and texts to other satphone carriers is very expensive. Voice call quality was variable, and therefore a bit unreliable. Email send and receive was quick and reliable provided no large attachments or graphics are sent or received. You must warn senders about this or else you'll choke your download. Finally, allow plenty of time to set up the Go! , downloading Apps and configuring them, and practicing using them. PredictWind suggest 3 days. We scoffed at first, but it's a realistic timeframe. Good luck and cheers.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 04:55   #34

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCut View Post
Congrats. We have Hull #20. In TMM fleet and very satisfied.
Definitely the 57 hp, cockpit fridge, generator/A/C.
TMM was able to add 2nd water tank increasing to roughly 135 gallons. Since looking for cruising later on, may consider water maker now (Although with DYC, water maker may not change the charter stats for your boat).

I was advised against the teak and for charter I think this makes since. Was told by 5 years in charter it would definitely show and if desired, it can be added.
Congratulations on the L42, most interested where and how the extra water tank was fitted.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 05:02   #35

Boat: Leopard 39

Congratulations! The L42 is a GREAT vessel. I hope that your dream is realized long term. Best wishes, and fair winds.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 13:41   #36

Boat: Lagoon 42

Hi all, I just created a Lagoon 42 Owners group in FB. You should be able to find it by searching "Lagoon 42 Owners Group" in FB but PM me if you need the direct address. Best.
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:37   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 2016 Lagoon 450F 45'

to the current 42 owners, trying to help a customer decide between a 65 or 85 Mantus anchor. The 85 seems a tad large almost hitting the code 0 pole. Anyone with experience?
Houston450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:35   #38

Boat: Lagoon 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston450 View Post
to the current 42 owners, trying to help a customer decide between a 65 or 85 Mantus anchor. The 85 seems a tad large almost hitting the code 0 pole. Anyone with experience?
We have a Rocna Vulcan 73lb anchor on our L42 and it fits nicely. Plenty of clearance around the Code 0 prodder and stays.

If I would go again, I would consider fitting an 85lb Mantus. For me, 65lb is getting too small for a comfortable night's sleep.

Am currently installing a Quick Chain counter. Much easier than messing with chain markers and its an easy retrofit.

Also considering upgrading the 1000W Quick windlass to 1500W. Only change required is a new gearbox and circuit breaker (according to Quick technical rep).

Cheers
Matagorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 14:13   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matagorda View Post

Am currently installing a Quick Chain counter. Much easier than messing with chain markers and its an easy retrofit.

Also considering upgrading the 1000W Quick windlass to 1500W. Only change required is a new gearbox and circuit breaker (according to Quick technical rep).

Cheers
The upgrade to 1500w would also include the replacement motor. Compare the upgrade cost with whole new windlass. Perhaps another brand? In our country, parts and service for Quick is, well, not very quick.

Chain counters are convenient but not so reliable, so I'd also mark the chain.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 10:38   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matagorda View Post
We have a Rocna Vulcan 73lb anchor on our L42 and it fits nicely. Plenty of clearance around the Code 0 prodder and stays.

If I would go again, I would consider fitting an 85lb Mantus. For me, 65lb is getting too small for a comfortable night's sleep.

Cheers
How do you think a Rocna Original would fit? Either the 73lb or 88lb? Not to start a big debate, but why would you switch from Rocna to Mantus?
MattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 18:02   #41

Boat: Lagoon 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
How do you think a Rocna Original would fit? Either the 73lb or 88lb? Not to start a big debate, but why would you switch from Rocna to Mantus?
Hi Matty

I am surprised how well the Rocna Vulcan (without roll bar) fits in the gap between the Code 0 prodder and its stay. So I believe that the Rocna Original (with roll bar) would probably fit OK also, but I would need to verify.

I think the shank length of the larger Mantus would probably fit into the deck recess OK, but need to take some measurements to be sure.

The three main factors that would influence my decision to move from Rocna to Mantus (in this particular size range) are:

1) The overwhelming endorsement for the Mantus 85lb anchor from owners of similar boats that have this anchor fitted (such as the Lagoon 450, and other similarly sized production cats). I am confident that the Rocna and the Mantus are both very good new generation anchors, and from many anchors tests done they both seem to rate very highly. At the end of the day, all other things being equal, if the Mantus is a popular choice for others, it is probably going to be a sensible choice for me.

2) Price. If I upgraded the Rocna 73lb to an 88lb anchor the price increases significantly (to circa USD1,000). However, the 85 lb Mantus seems to retail at around USD800.

3) The Mantus can be dismantled and stored fairly easily. Right now I am struggling with a choice for a second anchor. I will probably buy a Fortress FX-55 as a second anchor, but the idea of getting a stowable Mantus is tempting if I can put up with the extra weight.

An anchor is very much a personal choice, and one that hopefully results in peace of mind. I understand that others may take different factors into account and have different criteria in their decision making. The points above simply explain I would approach the decision to upgrade if and when I do. I do not propose that others will necessarily follow the same logic.

Cheers
Matagorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 06:48   #42

Boat: Lagoon L42

Could someone who opted for the factory 12V water maker provide some information/opinions on that system please? I'm weighing options as we'll have the big generator and currently leaning toward the Cruise RO SM30 system. I do like the ability to produce water from batteries/solar as we'll be adding some panels. Thanks!

Chuck
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 09:06   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
Could someone who opted for the factory 12V water maker provide some information/opinions on that system please? I'm weighing options as we'll have the big generator and currently leaning toward the Cruise RO SM30 system. I do like the ability to produce water from batteries/solar as we'll be adding some panels. Thanks!

Chuck
I have a second Lagoon 42 on order. Our first 42, Ocean Song, was an Irma casualty. Although we did not go with the factory water maker on either boat, we did look closely at it. We have decided to install the Cruise R/O system. There are other good options out there but everything I've heard and read about Cruise R/O is positive. I've talked several times with Rich and met him at the Annapolis Boat Show. He has answered every question I've had and several owners of his water makers told me the customer support they have received is outstanding.

Please let me know what your final decision is and the type of installation you go with, regardless of the water maker you choose. Our new order (also Ocean Song) has an ex-factory date in June 2018 and will be in the 2018 Annapolis Boat Show. I hope to hear feedback from Lagoon 42 owners who have installed after-market water makers on their boats.
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 12:06   #44

Boat: Lagoon L42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Woodall View Post
I have a second Lagoon 42 on order. Our first 42, Ocean Song, was an Irma casualty. Although we did not go with the factory water maker on either boat, we did look closely at it. We have decided to install the Cruise R/O system. There are other good options out there but everything I've heard and read about Cruise R/O is positive. I've talked several times with Rich and met him at the Annapolis Boat Show. He has answered every question I've had and several owners of his water makers told me the customer support they have received is outstanding.

Please let me know what your final decision is and the type of installation you go with, regardless of the water maker you choose. Our new order (also Ocean Song) has an ex-factory date in June 2018 and will be in the 2018 Annapolis Boat Show. I hope to hear feedback from Lagoon 42 owners who have installed after-market water makers on their boats.
Thanks Jim. You've confirmed what I think is the good path with water makers and the Cruise RO in particular. Everything I've heard about Rich and his SM system is positive. I really like his approach to hardware choices and Dow OTS membranes. Have you decided on a mounting location yet? Under the port forward bed looks like a logical choice but I'll need to see thru hull options and plumbing runs.

I'm glad you have a secured another build slot for 2018 to replace Ocean Song. I assume that you're going to put her in charter with TMM? We are supposed to be ex-factory the third week in July and have the boat sometime by summer's end. We're considering a trip to France to see the boat being put together but have a few months to decide. Good luck with your boat and I also look forward to other's posts regarding their aftermarket installations.

Regards,
Chuck
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 12:21   #45

Chuck:

The 42 is set up for water maker installation in the port-side engine compartment. There are glassed locations for thru hulls there and access to the water circuit. Rich said an engine compartment installation is not an issue so long as the engine compartment is well ventilated. I have thought about other installation locations, including under the forward berth or one of the forward lockers. I think accessibility might be better somewhere other than the port engine compartment but Lagoon has engineered that area and the water circuit so that it may be the most logical location. There is plenty of room and the compartment seems to be very well ventilated. I've been hoping other owners will share their experience. At the moment I'm leaning toward the engine compartment but another location may prove to be better.

Jim
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote