Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2022, 09:38   #1

Power Consumption

Hi All

I have made a decision to purchase a 440 for my wife and I to go cruising. In order to save time I am trying to gather information whilst looking for a 440 owners owners version.

I am first looking at future Solar, wind and hydro installations I will be implementing, but I need to know the base and optional power consumption out of the yard. For this I am looking at gathering all the systems requiring power and all the white goods, lighting and equipment, together with their power consumption rating and average use (hours) per day.

Can anyone help?

I have contacted Beneteau with no response.

Regards

Toby
TobyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Power Consumption

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Toby.

Some examples:
Template ➥ https://www.emarineinc.com/pdf/vesse...-Estimator.pdf
https://www.emarineinc.com/pdf/vesse...-Estimator.pdf

Jeanneau Model SO 390i

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:06   #3

Thanks, I have seen this and others which I am using as a guide.

Toby
Old 03-01-2022, 10:23   #4

Good estimate- damn close to what I calculated for a similar sized boat a year ago.

Also, always appreciate your work on CF. Many thanks - Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 20:15   #5

Boat: currently boatless

Gday Toby, We have recently sold our 440 (reluctantly due to health reasons) they are a sensational vessel and hopefully in the future we will replace our old boat with another 440. In regard to power our boat originally had 4 by 100 watt solar panels. As a electrician I knew this was way to small from the getgo. I did a very very quick power usage calculation based on fact we had one freezer, two fridges, 20 Led internal lights, nav equipment etc. We also had a 6KVA generator on board. In the end I opted for 4 by 320 watt Jinko solar panels and two 50 amp Fangpusen MPPT solar controllers to feed our battery bank of 800 AH.
During the three years of ownership and cruising up and down the east coast of Australia I never saw less than 25% usage of our batteries. IE batteries were still 75% full each morning before recharging other than several overcast days when I would have to run the genny for a couple of hours to assist recharging the batteries. In the tropics we would normally be be at 100% capacity by 11am or 12 noon.
We did practice power management but truthfully we did not scrimp. We also had an icemaker on board as well as a water maker and once we were at 100% these would be turned on to make ice or top off our tanks.
While this system worked very well for us if I would add another two 320 watt panels to upgrade from 1200 watt to 1700 just for my own benefit but in reality what we had was ample.

Greg H
Former 440 owner
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:17   #6

Hi Greg

Thanks for the reply. I am putting a schedule together of all base build and factory option systems and equipment together at the moment and I will share with you if that is alright, just for comment.

I am thinking of putting a questionnaire together for 440 owner and ex-owners so I can have a good platform to start with.

Thanks again.

Toby
Old 05-01-2022, 14:45   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Toby, I concur with Greg's observations. Our real world cruising experience of electrical power use is on a Lagoon 400, 3 cabin, two head, so similar features to your soon to be 440. Our situation is normally two people on board, sometimes five, and lots of larger social gatherings with meals while sailing the East Coast of Australia for the last two years. The first year we had 900 watts of ten year old solar, I upgraded to 1400 watts with MPPT controllers and it changed the boat's "liveability".

Power Supplies:
3000W Victron inverter for 230 Vac supply
1400W Solar via two Victron 100/50 MPPT
Two engine based 12Vdc 30Amp alternators
840 Ah of AGM batteries
Honda Portable generator 230Vac @ 2200 watts

230Vac Loads:
Galley has:
• Jug 1200 watts
• Microwave 1200 watts
• 3l Air Fryer 1200 watts
• 2 Slice Toaster 1500 watts
• Coffee Maker 900 watts
• 2Litre Blender 600 watts

Note - OEM Propane system for ENO oven, 3 ring stove top and BBQ

40L (Quick Brand) waterheater 1200 watts
160L / hour (Australian Watermaker Brand) watermaker 3000watts
Television 500 watts
Computer 600 watts
Colour printer 500 watts

All standard Lagoon 12vdc features plus:
• Full navigation suite including 12" MDF, radar and 3d Sonar
• Two 80L fridges, one 80L freezer
• Four Sirocco Fans
• One Harken electric winch
• One 5.5barg Wash down pump
• Cell Fi Go and 12vdc Wi FI modem for internet
AIS transceiver
• Two SeablazeII RGBW underwater lights
• LED RGBW effect lighting in galley and cockpit
• Hot water reticulation pump system
• Hot water heater energised via the inverter once we are at > 90% SOC (normally by 11:00 each day)

Operation and observations:
We are only mindful of the total 3kVA limit on the inverter when multiple galley appliances are being used to prepare large social meals, but otherwise for us, our boat living is the same as apartment living. (Fresh coffee via coffee machine , followed with fresh butter croissants via the air fryer first thing in the morning etc.) With good power and water maker capacity we supply potable water to our washdown pump as it keeps the cockpit nicer, shower with hot water daily and cook what ever / whenever we want.

The largest battery draw down on any occasion is when the solar panels are finished generation for the day and we have a 40 - 50 minute draw in an evening by the Air Fryer doing wonderful roasts. Majority of foods only takes 3 -20 minutes. in our option, the Air Fryer food turns out better than that cooked in OEM galley heating ENO Perigold Gourmet oven. My main advice to you, is to ditch the gas oven and any microwave, and install a combi AirFryer/Inverter Microwave combi oven and use that in your electrical calculations. You will save space and have a very happy admiral, plus better food, and less galley heat.

Conclusion:
Four months sailing the East Coast of Australia during 2021 winter, lowest daily (24hour) SOC recorded in a morning was 55% of the 420 Ah limit (based on 50% usable of total AGM.) We only used our Honda portable for a total of 5 hours during the 2021 trip, and that was when we had 4 day rain / wind event while at anchor and wanted hot water, more potable water and to boost the batteries, so ran it twice during that one event. When the AGM eventually run their useful life, I'll upgrade to LiFePO4.
OldGreyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 22:57   #8

Hi Old Grey

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. That is great.

I just need to get is the list of 12v Lagoon standard and optional features and I am on track.

Regards

Toby
Old 06-01-2022, 13:28   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyD View Post
Hi Old Grey

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. That is great.

I just need to get is the list of 12v Lagoon standard and optional features and I am on track.

Regards

Toby
Toby,

Attached is the Lagoon 400S2 technical specification manual. I was going to attach the electrical manual, / wiring diagrams but its too large to post here. PM me with a return email address if you want that too. The equipment level is inherently the same as the 440, which since you have settled on as the "one", you will already have a good idea of equipment levels.

However if you want the Lagoon 440 OEM versions of those manuals, you should be able to obtain them from the Lagoon FB group (Since there has not been a L440 CF member yet add to this thread).

Note that by now, most Lagoon owners have converted all the OEM halogen lighting to LED. Typical G4 LED runs @ 200mA for your calculations.

If you are thinking about going fully electric galley, then CatNewBee has done all the work for you on his L400, so read his thread.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ey-201795.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lagoon_400_S2-Spec 2016.pdf (482.2 KB, 29 views)
OldGreyB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
consumption