Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2020, 04:54   #1

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421
Pre-breakage davit replacement

Hello Everyone

Can anyone explain the davit system on a 2010-era Lagoon to me?

I would like to understand exactly how the davits mount: there is an outer SS flange that bolts onto the outside of the hull, and then a steel tube runs diagonally internally from there to what looks like a socket on the transverse beam below decks.

How is this tube attached to the rest of the davits?
If I were to remove the bolts that I can see from the outside, would the whole davit come free? What would the situation be with the diagonal support tube?

We have a 2010 L421. The davits of that time all seem to be the same design for other models, however.

After hearing of several folks having trouble with their davits breaking, usually on passages we have decided to upgrade to an arch-like system that reaches high enough to hold our solar panels at the same height as the bimini.

In order to do this, it seems prudent to use the strongpoints as designed by Lagoon, hence my question.

Thanks for any constructive pointers and information.

This post has been cross-posted on the 420/421 FB page.
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:26   #2

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421
Re: Pre-breakage davit replacement

Here is a sketch of the davit in profile. I am trying to understand the relationship between the external tube and the internal strut tube, i.e. how and where are they attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Davits.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	206328  
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 18:21   #3
DK2

Boat: Lagoon 440

You’ve described it correctly. The davit slides into the ‘socket’ on the crossbeam. Undoing the four bolts on the transom flange allows it to be pulled out of the socket.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 18:30   #4
cruiser

Good call Bignut. Ours cracked on a 2012 lagoon. We are going to just have a thicker walled upright piece installed.
Knot Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 05:03   #5

Anyone know of a source for replacement davits? I have a lagoon 400 with bent davits from previous owner. I don't really want to change the design, just need to find replacements.
Old 18-06-2020, 00:55   #6

I saw a Shipwright straighten bent L400 davits with the help of a small crane. Davits had been bent from dinghy painter dropping into water and getting caught around prop. Once straightened they stayed straight for a number of years. Hope this helps
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men