Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2016, 18:45   #16

Boat: Lagoon, 39
Re: Removing Ikea cabinetry to access electronics and electric winch control box

The chart plotter removal is fairly easy to do. There is a plastic bezel which is removed by prying it off carefully. Once the bezel is removed, mounting screws are revealed which can be easily removed. There is a gasket between the chart plotter and the FRP. This gasket has adhesive on one or both sides. It is likely to be damaged when you remove the chart plotter. I used clear marine silicone instead of the gasket to make this water tight. You do not want to use 3M5200 here because it will be very difficult to remove in the future. Another option is to get the gasket prior to removing the chart plotter. Disclaimer, I removed my plotter to change the electrical supply to the plotter, I was not looking at the winch.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mardi Gras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:42   #17

Boat: Lagoon 39
Re: Removing Ikea cabinetry to access electronics and electric winch control box

Mardi Gras

Thanks for the detailed instructions, find them very helpful. We plan to remove the chartplotter and possible two 5' square Raymarine data screens one of which is the auto pilot display which are between the chartplotter and winch control box to gain access to the control box.

I plan to stop by Island Marine to see if they have replacement gaskets for all three, if not I have white silcone on board will check the brand as you advise.

Wish me luck we hope to replace today with a generic windlass control box and reintall the electronics. Plan to head for Antigua tomorrow if all goes well. We have a weather opening of two days.
faa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 13:36   #18

Regarding the silicone, it was just marine grade. I don't recall the brand. Probably identical to home repair type but more $. I don't think you will gain much additional access by removing the two small displays (Auto pilot and data). The opening for the chart plotter is huge. Good luck, let us know how it went.

Old 14-06-2016, 10:27   #19

Sorry for our delayed response. Once our nightmare of repairing the electric was behind us, both the Admiral and I were eager to set sail for the open sea.

We sailed to St. Barts, then St. Kitts, St Nevis and arrived in Antigua. Electric winch worked great the rare times we used it. More importantly, we learned the circuit breaker for our watermaker is the same one used for the electric winch. What idiot installed it this way I don't know, but that is a project for the future. Not only were we without an electric winch, which I can live without, water on the other hand is a no go decision.

After a electrical engineer and I worked for an hour, we were finally able to remove the chartplotter. My first words were "OH S---!!!!

We found immediately to the left of the chartplotter a solid thick fiberglass bulkhead support. Absolutely no access to the electric winch motor or control box. Back to the cabinets. Three, that is three hours of solid work, sawing out panels and dismantling parts of the cabinets, we were finally able to gain access to remove the control box. It is a simple Harken windlass box, no big deal except the price Harken charges. A quick dinghy trip to IWW, $178 later we were back onboard our boat. The engineer replaced our broken unit in less than 30 minutes. Reinstalled our chartplotter and siliconed everything back in including the foot switch for the electric winch. Total time on project by vendor 5 1/2 hours for $357 and three diet cokes.

IMHO, this is a significant design flaw by Lagoon. These parts require maintenance and/or replacement every 3-5 years if not more. My control box lasted two years!

The route we choose, is least destructive to our boat and ensured maintaining a watertight environment. For those of you who face a similar problem I hope you find our experience and post helpful.

All boats have flaws. Some worse then others. I can live with this one, but it seems a fairly simple and not costly fix by Lagoon. Hopefully, they ask Ikea to make some minor alterations providing access panels to this equipment.
Old 14-06-2016, 15:11   #20

Sorry to hear you were not able to access the winch components from the chart plotter opening but glad to hear you did have success through the cabinetry. Also glad to hear of your successful sail.

Tony

Old 18-06-2016, 17:27   #21

Here to report electric winch still working perfectly and we are using it a lot. We use it to trim the jib, raise the mainsail, etc....

Sailed from English Harbour, after dropping a lunch hook in Falmouth Harbour. Seven hour later we arrived in Deysha, Guadaloupe then on to Saints Islands off of Guadloupe. This morning we hoisted anchor, set the first reef and set sail after sunrise and sailed to tranquil Roseau, Dominica with its nearby rainforests. 18 kts wind nearly the whole way and got to hull speeds of 7-8.3 kts with following seas.

Beautiful day of sailing along Dominca's beautiful coastline. The boat performed well and continued to exceed our expectations. The 39 is a very comfortable cruising boat IMHO.
Old 19-06-2016, 08:09   #22

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Well done faa!! Wish were there with our boat, currently bolted to the dock.

More fair winds.....
Joe
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 09:05   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by faa50 View Post
Sorry for our delayed response. Once our nightmare of repairing the electric was behind us, both the Admiral and I were eager to set sail for the open sea.

We sailed to St. Barts, then St. Kitts, St Nevis and arrived in Antigua. Electric winch worked great the rare times we used it. More importantly, we learned the circuit breaker for our watermaker is the same one used for the electric winch. What idiot installed it this way I don't know, but that is a project for the future. Not only were we without an electric winch, which I can live without, water on the other hand is a no go decision.

After a electrical engineer and I worked for an hour, we were finally able to remove the chartplotter. My first words were "OH S---!!!!

We found immediately to the left of the chartplotter a solid thick fiberglass bulkhead support. Absolutely no access to the electric winch motor or control box. Back to the cabinets. Three, that is three hours of solid work, sawing out panels and dismantling parts of the cabinets, we were finally able to gain access to remove the control box. It is a simple Harken windlass box, no big deal except the price Harken charges. A quick dinghy trip to IWW, $178 later we were back onboard our boat. The engineer replaced our broken unit in less than 30 minutes. Reinstalled our chartplotter and siliconed everything back in including the foot switch for the electric winch. Total time on project by vendor 5 1/2 hours for $357 and three diet cokes.

IMHO, this is a significant design flaw by Lagoon. These parts require maintenance and/or replacement every 3-5 years if not more. My control box lasted two years!

The route we choose, is least destructive to our boat and ensured maintaining a watertight environment. For those of you who face a similar problem I hope you find our experience and post helpful.

All boats have flaws. Some worse then others. I can live with this one, but it seems a fairly simple and not costly fix by Lagoon. Hopefully, they ask Ikea to make some minor alterations providing access panels to this equipment.
this saved me a lot of time already, thanks for sharing your information. I'm trying to change the manual 40 winch with a electric one, do you know which position is the motor? looks like there is one right and left version: https://store.offshorespars.com/coll...eft-mount-700w
ers61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, control box, electric, electronics, winch