Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 22:46   #1

Boat: currently boatless
Replacement Genoa Car

Hello All,
well we finally have the new (to us) lagoon 410s. We are very excited and proud new owners and currently Hamilton island Marina here in Oz while we start doing some work to make her our boat IE new boom bag, shade cloth over trampoline and shade over bimini etc.
One thing that has got me flummoxed is that one of the genoa lead cars was missing. It was something I was not worried about at the time and did not consider it a major issue to get another one. WRONG. I have since been told that the manufacturer of the lead car and T track that it runs on is no longer made or that there is a suitable replacement. The boat is only a 2004 model and I have seen younger boats than this with the same system. not only on Lagoons but many other craft.
I have checked the latest catalog from Harken and it still lists a Genoa car for a 32 mm T track but apparently this is wrong. I really dont want to replace the whole track and car system just to replace to replace one lousy genoa car. If anyone has gone through this or can assist in any way I would me most appreciative.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
L410S
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 00:44   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241
Re: Replacement Genoa Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hello All,
well we finally have the new (to us) lagoon 410s. We are very excited and proud new owners and currently Hamilton island Marina here in Oz while we start doing some work to make her our boat IE new boom bag, shade cloth over trampoline and shade over bimini etc.
One thing that has got me flummoxed is that one of the genoa lead cars was missing. It was something I was not worried about at the time and did not consider it a major issue to get another one. WRONG. I have since been told that the manufacturer of the lead car and T track that it runs on is no longer made or that there is a suitable replacement. The boat is only a 2004 model and I have seen younger boats than this with the same system. not only on Lagoons but many other craft.
I have checked the latest catalog from Harken and it still lists a Genoa car for a 32 mm T track but apparently this is wrong. I really dont want to replace the whole track and car system just to replace to replace one lousy genoa car. If anyone has gone through this or can assist in any way I would me most appreciative.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
L410S
Greg & Sue,
Firstly congrats.

What is wrong with the car. Is it just the nylon rollers? Both the main horizontal roller & the two small vertical rollers? Are the original rollers still there?

I'm not 100% sure that they are the same cars as on our 380, but pretty sure they are. When I picked up Seabreeze the rollers were just about non-existant.

If so then Captain Don on this forum has made new replacement rollers that many of us have bought from him to replace the old rollers at very competitive prices including the freight from the US.

Here is a link to my reply on the Lagoon Owners forum about fitting Don's replacement rollers:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...messages/18720

He now has his own website for his manufactured stuff but I can't find it right now.

Dave
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:49   #3

Hi Dave,
finally a Lagoon owner. At Hamilton Island and its bucketing down .
The genoa car was missing when we took the boat for a test sail. I thought it would be an easy job of replacing the car and as we were having other things more important on our list of things we wanted done prior to purchase I was not to worried.
It was not until today that I found out that Harken do not make the unit anymore or have any type of replacement. Only in the last hour have I found a Genoa lead car that appears to be compatible with the Harken T Track. Its built by Barton Marine who have been around for quite some time. Should have an answer tonight or tomorrow and if positive I will place an order ASAP.
Interestingly as part of Sunsails changeover they must have a certificate of compliance for the gas installation. The gas fitter was here yesterday and the stove/oven had some major issues we did not know about. The cost of repair was quite substantial so we came to an agreement that we would pay for half of a new stove as the cost of the repair to the old one was an unknown. Very happy with that. The old stove may have cost more to repair than a new one.
As luck would have it we are watching the weather very closely as there is "watch and wait" on a tropical depression off the solomons that may be upgraded to a cyclone that is headed this way.

Greg and Sue
Old 05-03-2014, 02:03   #4

Greg & Sue,
Believe me ... you are not the only ones watching that #$@&@ low heading our way. We're supposed to be witnesses at a friends wedding on Saturday in Port Douglas. Have told them that we will not be able to make it depending on the track forecasts in the next couple of days. Last nights forecast had it heading south of us (towards the Whitsundays) ... I know you didn't want to hear that!

Here's a hint for up here. Check out Oz Cyclone Chasers & even download their App for iPhone & Android. These guys are based in Townsville & have nightly YouTube Cyclone updates during the "season". They really are crazy guys who have gathered a huge following for their comprehensive forecasting. Usually their nightly YouTube update is around 9PM.

Check out Oz Cyclone Chasers - Australia's first dedicated tropical cyclone documentary team

Or their FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/ozcyclonechasers for even more updates during the day.

Talk to the Sunsail guys at Hamo for advice what to do/where to go if the **** hits the fan this weekend. Whatever you do .... DO NOT go over to Shute Harbour or Airlie ... insurance has banned those locations.

Good luck

Dave
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
Old 05-03-2014, 02:09   #5

Greg & Sue,
Forgot to say that our Gas Certificate didn't arrive till the day we planned to leave Hamo. But in our case all was good.

So Sunsail hasn't got any genoa cars to fit to your boat. Hmmm ... did you end up purchasing the boat still in 1F survey like we did ... if so they are required to hand over in survey standard. And I would think that would include the gas certificate all OK & with a genoa car.

Dave
www.sea-breeze.com.au
Old 05-03-2014, 14:54   #6

hello all,
well I spent the night surfing the net and trying to find a replacement for tne Harken Genoa car. I did find a Barton genoa car on ebay but the seller has not got back to me at the moment. I then found Downwind Marine in San Diego and shot them off an email as their web site stated they had them in stock. When I get up this morning I was greeted with an email to say they had "two in stock"and they will post to Hamilton Island yeeha. First thing this morning we sent off the order and payment (via paypal) and the units should be here in a week or so. I can get by in that time. I also sent an email off to Mauri Pro who advised that Harken no longer manufacture this line but they will make them up from spares but would take some time. Cant figure it, they carry spares adn can make a whole unit but do not supply a ready made up unit
Its been raining cats and dogs here with very hard downpours at times. We only found one very small leak. It just had to be right over my head in the rear berth. Hopefully i have solved that problem today. New gas oven should arrive today or tomorrow.Looking forward to its installation.

Greg and Sue
Old 05-03-2014, 15:03   #7

Greg & Sue,
I found this a while ago when I was looking for Genoa Cars for our L380. Not sure if you found these people.

Catamaran Equipment - Sailboat Rigging - Sailing Gear and Accessories

PS .. There's possibly a lot more rain to come this weekend for you. You're lucky you only found the one leak .... I've stopped all ours now. The thing is "tropical rain" seems to find all the places to get through

Dave
www.sea-breeze.com.au

Tags
Genoa, men