Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 01:32   #16

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Sea Recovery De-sal Problem.....

Sounds like a plan.

Has been some good discussion on this thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ose-93582.html

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:40   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440

Yes i've been following it, i started this thread to document problems one can have and now it seems it's showing up just how expensive the big players are in this industry.....
As always thanks....
Old 23-05-2013, 05:05   #18

A follow up for anyone in the future with mechanical problems on their Sea-recovery unit.

1) Replacement membranes from SR are exorbitant IE $1200:00 EACH simply because SR decided to go for a unique diameter membrane, which is actually more compact space wise , in the long run it's cheaper to change over to a complete housing and membrane unit from someone like Cruise Equipment- Water and Power Solutions for Cruisers-Low Prices

2) The 'Energy Transfer Device' has 4 actuating rod seals that by a system of valving receive the feed pressure (around 35psi) and alternately squeeze the raw water through the membrane at around 850psi.
A replacement set will set you back around $450:00 however poly seals are very available and i replaced them for $35:00..........

3) Feed pump that sends the clean feed water up to the EDT are also available once you research the codes, i replaced mine for $280:00 as against $1100:00.

Our water maker is now running sweet, i was about to throw this one away but persisting with research has saved us a shipload.....

Cheers all.
Old 20-09-2013, 20:18   #19

Hey frank. Scott and Tracey from YOLLATA. We bought our 440 not long after you in Romania. I too am now having trouble with the SR ULTRA WHISPER that came with the boat. A squeezing sound and no pressure led to a seal replacement in the BVI in April. About 350 hrs later we are in panama and blow me down the same issues... Squeal etc. one of the two places that are recommended by SR pretty much refused to replace the seals due to it being a diddly job and stated the RTD 's are a can of worms. The other recommended guy is up for the task. I have had seals flow in from Florida as SR are out of em in the USA for another 5 weeks ( geez what a surprise eh?).

My q to you is I took a look at the valves and the boot and could see just a little orange water in there. No major wear on the seals. Could I be looking at the same problems as you? If so what questions should i be asking or what work should I be getting this bloke to do. A a side point. A getting a huge tarp made up for over the foredeck. It will invert soi can catch water in it and use it as a sun shade during the day. Bugger SR......
YOLLATA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 22:33   #20

Gooday, ours has died again, i replaced the seals (all 4) and surfaced the valve slides to perfection and we have exactly the same drama, it won't stroke to pressure any more and is back to the squealing.
When i'm back in Aussie at xmas i'll build a new unit salvaging the parts that i can from the SR, i'll bring the bits back here and fix it once and for all.

Now if you look where the stainless rod threads into the plastic piston you'll find the rust comes out from inside that thread, either the SS rod is say 304# or theres a steel washer these pricks put in there. SR are a terrible unit, i tried to make it good BUT they are rubbish.

Cheers Frank.....
Old 02-10-2013, 07:04   #21

Hey frank. Further to my last.... Investigation of try ETD showed up. Fair bit of rust. The nuts on the shaft ends were rusted badly apparently only 302 stainless. Bloody cheap b*%^#$ds cut corners. I have also emailed sea recovery a number of times asking for some direction with maintenance, service etc.... That as three weeks ago....... I am currently in panama. There are two techs down here who are listed on the SR web site. Interestingly one of them refused to work on my ETD saying they were a pain, fidly, and a can of worms. He offered to sell me the seals, valves and give me the working diagrams on how to pull apart an ETD. He also wanted to sell me a reconditioned ETD but with no warranty for 300USD. I did find a guy down here to do the work and he is brilliant.

Good luck with it mate.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:06   #22

P.S - when I get to Guatemala in a month or so I am going to get a very large canvass water maker for the foredeck that converts to a sun shade.... That should reduce my reliance on SR. Eventually I'll replace it with a better reliable unit that has been built without cutting corners or basic incompetence.