Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 16:47   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Searching For A Lagoon

Hello,
I am new to Cruisers. In fact I am new to the bluewater/liveaboard altogether. I have owned 40' and 50' powerboats and cruisers. however I only have a small amount of ocean and sailing experience. I am a instrument rated pilot so I am hoping weather and nav will come easy. I also have a 40' diesel motor home so have dealt with 12v and inverter systems. I now live in Thailand most of the year. I have decided to attend a sailing course for catamarans. In my research for a boat, I have decided that a late model lagoon 380 S2, 410, 440 is what I will focus on. my current budget would be up to 250,000 with an additional 50,000 set aside for upgrades and replacements.with a annual budget of living and boat maintenance of about 50,000 a year. We have a nice place on the sea in the Gulf of Thailand so when at home can tend to her easily.
My current thinking is to spend a year or so sailing Thailand, Malaysia, Myanmar, Indonesia and gain some experience. then set off for the South pacific and the Americas.
Thus the reason for posting on the Lagoon Tread. if you come across someone that is ready to take a brake and they have a boat forsale. close or near to Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Papua New Guinea. I would be interested. the South Pacific might be a little far.

I have a few questions.
1. what is the cost to have a engine rebuilt if this happens while traveling.
2. from my research if taken care of these engines should be good to 10,000 hours?
3. any suggestion on how one finds a good marine person to do a full and competent inspection on a boat?
4. am I on the right track?
5. or does my lack of khowledge show immensely?
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 04:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Searching For A Lagoon

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mike.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 07:09   #3

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabimike View Post
I have a few questions.
2. from my research if taken care of these engines should be good to 10,000 hours?
3. any suggestion on how one finds a good marine person to do a full and competent inspection on a boat?
1. It would depend on the amount of damage to repair....if the cost is too much, buy a new engine.

2. Possibly 10,000 hours. Even 7 or 8,000 is getting up there. I pull engine oil samples every so often and have them analyzed by a reputable company that provides this service - I use Fluid Life in Edmonton, Alberta and the cost is around $30 per sample. It's like a blood test and tells you if you have any current problems like glycol or fuel dilution in the oil, viscosity, wear materials, etc. Fluid Life reports the data with comparisons from a cohort of other Yanmar engines to compare. This will steer you to any required repairs BEFORE you are into bigger problems or a rebuild. If you are buying a boat I would make the sale contingent on successful survey AND acceptable engine oil analysis results.

3. Ask around, talk to other cruisers, check online...

4. For sure, buy a boat and get sailing!

5. No. It's a continuous learning process for everyone.

Best of Luck & welcome to CF!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 19:13   #4

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

I would second the oil analysis by a reputable firm. Another option is Blackstone Labs.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 08:13   #5

From what my mate tells me the 2005 Lagoon 410 is the go if you are hell bent on owning a wedding cake.
Doublewammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 08:20   #6

Boat: None at this time, still looking for my next great looper

A well maintained motor, in a boat or automobile, will last many thousands of hours or miles. Diesel motors maintained and oil samples taken at regular intervals will run longer the i'll probably be alive. I have my diesels sampled every 3-6 months depending on the usage. A cheap investment with sample kits and postage.
KidSheeleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 09:03   #7

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Rebuild on small diesels can be very expensive, especially if you have to ship parts in and pay VAT etc. Cost depends on damage but figure in the $5k-$10k range to be safe. Don't forget the drives as well.V drives/sail drives , again thousands not hundreds.
10k hours is quoted all the time but... If it was maintained and used under the owner's care vs. the abuse of being in charter. Charter is really a wild card when it comes to catamarans. 4K hours can equal 10k hours of normal "owners" use.
Don't forget to factor in berthage when estimating your costs. If you're going to go where the wind blows, but a cat that sails well. Many that were built primarily for charter don't sail well and you will regret their inability in short order.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 13:08   #8

The other thing you should look into are the sail drives, not just the engines. Yanmar sail drives (SD 50 for example) come with issues such as premature clutch wear, oil seal failures and the like. These are also expensive units to replace and repair. You can down load the service and operator manuals for the engines and sail drives and see for yourself the items that need servicing/ replacing at various hourly or monthly intervals. There are some expensive replacement items required at 2 and 5 year intervals. At least with a catamaran you have power redundancy. In past lives we have spent a month running on one engine, just makes docking a little more tricky.

The other issues you should be aware of is the state of the rigging. The sails when hoisted will look pretty obvious as to their condition, but the rigging is another matter. Stainless steel rigging needs pretty close inspection preferably with the mast down, it does have a life, we replaced ours after 10 years, even when there was no sign of potential failure. (Also replaced the wire forebeam brace). ALong with the rigging are expensive items like sheet winches, which need maintenance, and the sheets, halyards and blocks do wear out from chafe and UV.

A top class LLoyds or similar accredited surveyor is well worth the money.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 19:50   #9

yes I think he is correct! I like it too!
Old 26-03-2016, 20:31   #10

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabimike View Post
Hello,
I am new to Cruisers. In fact I am new to the bluewater/liveaboard altogether. I have owned 40' and 50' powerboats and cruisers. however I only have a small amount of ocean and sailing experience. I am a instrument rated pilot so I am hoping weather and nav will come easy. I also have a 40' diesel motor home so have dealt with 12v and inverter systems. I now live in Thailand most of the year. I have decided to attend a sailing course for catamarans. In my research for a boat, I have decided that a late model lagoon 380 S2, 410, 440 is what I will focus on. my current budget would be up to 250,000 with an additional 50,000 set aside for upgrades and replacements.with a annual budget of living and boat maintenance of about 50,000 a year. We have a nice place on the sea in the Gulf of Thailand so when at home can tend to her easily.
My current thinking is to spend a year or so sailing Thailand, Malaysia, Myanmar, Indonesia and gain some experience. then set off for the South pacific and the Americas.
Thus the reason for posting on the Lagoon Tread. if you come across someone that is ready to take a brake and they have a boat forsale. close or near to Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Papua New Guinea. I would be interested. the South Pacific might be a little far.

I have a few questions.
Hi Mike, I was considering the same as you last year so looked extensively in Thailand,
Phuket is a major bailout point for world cruisers that don't want to continue west so keep your eye out at the local marinas and contact the multihull dealers in Phuket. For 300k there were a number of cats , 1 lagoon last year that were for sale. Another option would be to consider buying directly in the French Carabean as you can get an ex charter Lagoon 44 for the price you are considering.
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 23:21   #11

I looked at a 410 S2 owners version this last weekend and really liked it but he is high on the price and doesn't care if it sells or not so I will continue my search! But thumbs up on the 410

Sent from my SM-N920C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
arc, lagoon