Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2016, 06:06   #16

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Slightly milky oil in saildrives

If you can change the oil enough to get it clean (again, I "changed" the oil 9 times), and then keep it clean, you should be able to hold off until your scheduled haul out. You will need to keep a close eye on your oil condition and level.

This is exactly the position I was in 12 or more years ago. Cleaned up the oil, and installed the oil header tank. Hauled the following winter.

FWIW, Amsoil (I am a disinterested party) sells marine gear oil that they claim can tolerate 10% water, or something like that. That's what I use.

Other than the potential water contamination issue, the gear oil in a saildrive has an easy life, I'd say. With the housing immersed in water, the oil is not subjected to extreme heat, as in a truck differential or transmission.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 06:09   #17

Location: I am in Sydney, Ki(dec) is wrecked on a reef off Niue
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Thanks for all that.

I had a go at changing the oil while the boat was in the water. No luck!

I inserted a stiff plastic tube into the oil suction pipe. ( see Sail-drive operation manual p 24) I then connected that plastic tube to firstly to an electric oil pump and then my manual oil evacuator. Neither worked in terms of getting most of the oil out. The stiff plastic tube would not go far enough down the oil suction pipe and I soon sucked air. It seemed to hit an obstruction stopping it going further down. I could only get out a few mls.

Is there a trick to getting the oil out this way? Note I have successfully changed the oil when the boat was on the hard. You just unscrew the lower plug on the drive. Very easy.

I am loath to use the drives without at least an oil change. Even that is only a temporary measure and would require monitoring. If I can't work out how to change the oil in the water, I might have to bring forward the next slipping.

Thanks

Brian
b_rodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 06:38   #18

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

I know it's the industry standard, because it's easy and cheaper.
But I don't like saildrives
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 06:44   #19

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I used a 1/4 inch OD hard plastic tube connected to a manual pump, and was able to remove about 1/3 of the oil. That's all, which is why I repeated for a total of 9 times.

I'm working my grey matter here, but I think I recall someone posting here of a full change in the water.

Something like removing the drain plug and jamming a plastic tube in the hole. Then slowly (it would have to be slow) pumping oil into the top (sealed fitting), and capture the oil coming out the tube. Keep the fill cap or fitting on while you replace the drain plug so water won't enter. All hard to do without losing a little oil. Then check oil level.

Or you can beach your boat!
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:09   #20

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

When I had a Yamaha OB and needed to change the oil, Yamaha had a special fitting that screwed in place of the drain plug. I was suprised that virtually no oil came out. Does anyone know the actual thread of the Yanmar SD20 drain plug. I bet there is a good chance it is the same thread.
Connect the suction drain tubing to the drain plug and manually suck it out - would need a long piece of tubing. Beached at low tide would be much easier.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 23:33   #21

Location: I am in Sydney, Ki(dec) is wrecked on a reef off Niue
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

Has anyone been able to get most of the oil in a SD60 saildrive out by suctioning through the oil suction tube?

Brian
b_rodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 00:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rodwell View Post
Has anyone been able to get most of the oil in a SD60 saildrive out by suctioning through the oil suction tube?

Brian
At the risk of giving more advise that may not be relevant to your SD60, perhaps try to fit a vacuum suction hose over, instead of inside the oil suction tube?

I know that you are following the instructions as per the manual, but it may work better.
Our SD50s have plugs where your's has a tube. We remove the plug, insert a barbed tube fitting and fit a suction tube over this fitting. The hand vacuum pumb removes almost all of the oil. Good luck.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 06:32   #23

Boat: LAGOON 400

believing sd 60 somewhat similar to sd 50, my method may work:

use 12V pump attach to one of openings and create positive pressure in saildrive, this will drive oil up in extractor hole. Ensure pressure low enough (< 1 bar), so seals dont get damaged.

I use this method, have adapter as well, and oil change is simple 10 min task.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, sail, saildrive