Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2018, 15:08   #16

Re: Sold on a 450. Dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedindubai View Post
Great choice! You should check out the 450S. I know Bean Counter would prefer one [emoji6]
Well, I would prefer a 450S to any other 45ft offering same layout from the competition, yours is particularly beautiful, though
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 09:22   #17

Re: Sold on a 450. Dammit!

So... You guys are gonna kill me. I don't think a 450 is in my (immediate) future after all. Let me explain.

I have a buddy of mine that might as well be family. He and I have broken all the rules - we've started businesses together, partnered on boats and airplanes together, we've done all the stuff that is supposed to ruin a good friendship and yet here we are. The intention was for us to partner on this too and any time he wanted the boat, we'd move ashore and 'suffer' in some nice Caribbean hotel until he went back to the States - or heck, as close as we are, we'd likely never want to kick the other person off and we'd just all stick together and cruise.

However, I've done a ton of soul searching between my wife and I and the question we came up with was: This is going to be our new home for us and our children. What happens if the unthinkable should happen, i.e. he gets hit by a bus. How would we be expected to weather 100% of that financial burden now that costs are no longer split 50/50. I'm not talking about financing either, I won't finance a depreciating asset - I'm talking about the ongoing maintenance and CapEx costs that go into a complex piece of gear like a L450.

So in the end, we both decided that absent us befalling an unknown fortune (I'm still waiting on my plus sized underwear modeling contract to come in) I think we're going to downsize until we can safely tackle the 450 and her inherent costs without having to rely on anybody but ourselves.

The 450 is still my dream but heck, if I'm honest, it WAS a bit intimidating in size. I've owned 45' flybridge power boats before but this is a different animal - tameable to be sure, but I'd rest easier learning on, perhaps, a 380, 39 or a 420.

I intend on sticking around this board and updating everybody on my progress and I didn't want anybody making voodoo dolls of me when I break a bottle of champagne over something other than a L450, after all the help and advice you all provided - which I hope will not end!

Thanks,
Tim
timinfla2 is offline   Reply With Quote