Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2021, 13:35   #16

Boat: Columbia 9.6 meter
Re: Sweet water in bilge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockDoc View Post
When sailing up north in Nova Scotia i noted a lot of "sweet water" aka not salty water in the bilge. I was pulling up the bilge hatch 3 times a day freaking out about it until I got a good look and saw every inch below the water line was glistening with condensation. I am not sure if that is your issue but it sure put a lot of water in the bilge, which went away when we were back in warmer waters.
That's what I'd suspect.
And, it can recycle daily, with moist outdoor air entering the space and contacting cold surfaces like engine block, or surfaces of tanks, etc., which are still cold.
~ 9.6
Ninedotsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 14:46   #17

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagu View Post
Any Lagoon owners here who have experience with rain water problems?
As others have said, condensation is the most likely cause, especially if the boat has been poorly ventilated.

We have rainwater that collects in the starboard hull occasionally. It comes in on very rare occasions in heavy rain and strong winds, but it seems like it is sucked in by differential air pressure rather gravity. I think it probably comes in infront of the helm, possibly the Bimini mount. Maybe the wind puts an upward force on the bimini post and water is sucked in the around the post mount.

Another problem place is the saloon door track. We siliconed around the end of the track to prevent rainwater seeping around it.

The forward hatches in the saloon allow rainwater in if they are left open in the rain. Rainwater on the saloon roof run over the 'brow' of the roof and in through the hatch. A lot of water can come in this way, but you pretty soon learn to close these hatches if it starts to rain. Some people fix something to the 'brow' to divert the water.

Basically, any deck or roof fixtures can allow rainwater in. It's really just a question of finding the source and tightening the offending nut or replacing any sealing washer. All such fixings should be tightened regularly as part of regular maintenance.

The Lewmar hatches can leak through the hole that the lock goes through. Again, it's just a question of tightening the nut.

In short, I don't think it's likely to be a serious issue, but tracking it down can be vexing.
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 18:58   #18

Do you have air conditioning? If so the condensate may be collecting in the bilges before discharge by the bilge pump. Shower sump pump may also be leaking.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 22:56   #19

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Automotive antifreeze is VERY toxic. Do not try to taste it. Please.
M
Only in extreme cases, but it does cause kidney (or is it liver?) damage at lower doses, so the upshot is the same, do not taste it. Additionally as it is a glycol, cracked from light crude it will coat any gas sensor and that will detect it as hydrocarbon, shut your gas supply (if you have a solenoid) and will destroy the sensor. If it is in the bilge then get rid of it before sailing or cooking becomes hard that night without any gas.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 06:21   #20

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 (2008)

Check the hot water tanks. If there's one on each side then that may be the culprit. Does the water pressure pump come on with no water being used (all water outlets off)? If so you may need to start searching for the leak in the fresh water system.
kmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 19:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagu View Post
Hi,

I am interested in buying a 420. Examined a 2007 model recently and found sweet water, maybe 20 to 30 liters in both hulls. Hull survace behind bathroom cabinet is also wet and mouldy.

Any idea were the water can come from? Are there particular leakage or weakness with this lagoon model? Hatches seems to be quite ok.

Bernd

Is this the 420 for sale in St Petes, FL?
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 19:54   #22

Boat: Hanse 348

Probably your shower hose or nozzle on the stern leaking. That never shuts off well, or has a kink and hose cracks. I tracked my leak back to it, and when i told the dealer, he told me a common problem.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 21:56   #23

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
could well be a leak in plumbing somewhere.

we don't have a lagoon however we do get fresh water in our port side bilge. i know it's from some minor leak somewhere in the FW system but it's too complex to find - and not a problem anyway

do you ever catch yr FW pump cycling on even though no-one is using a tap ?

cheers,
It would be quite unfortunate to get a fresh water leak in the plumbing in both hulls - not impossible but unlikely. More likely to be a rainwater leak. If it is, find it and fix it. Nothing rots cabinetry quite as well as fresh water.

I know this.

But yes, the fresh water pump cycling without obvious reason is a good indication that something in the plumbing is not good.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 09:41   #24

We live in Southern California so we don't see much rain, but we do get water in the bilge after a wash down.
Laurief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, water