Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 13:42   #1

Location: I am in Sydney, Ki(dec) is wrecked on a reef off Niue
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
pirate Temperature Sensors for MPPT Controllers

I have a Lagoon 400 S2 with almost 2 KW of solar panels and 2 x Outback Flexmax 80 controllers. I run 2 fridges, a freezer and an autopilot. Next summer I will be running a watermaker. I am trying to determine whether I should add 2 temperature sensors to these 2 controllers. I have 720Ah of gel house batteries.

I use my solar panels in mild to warm conditions. If it was cold I would be in a marina on shore power and not need to use the solar power.

I am told that a temperature sensor can add to the efficiency of a controller and, importantly, add to the safety by reducing the charge settings when the battery is too hot.

Should I spend the money?

Brian
b_rodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 13:48   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Temperature Sensors for MPPT Controllers

The temp sensor is for your batteries not the solar panels. Check the charging profile for your specific battery, here' s an example showing the changes desired based on battery temperatyre.
Old 02-09-2016, 13:55   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Temperature Sensors for MPPT Controllers

The temp sensors should not be expensive and gel batteries are sensitive to charging voltages so the answer is yes.

In the meantime you can adjust the charge voltages manually on the Flexmax controllers very easily. It would be a pain to do in Sydney with the erratic temperature but quite practical in Greece and Turkey where the stable temperatures mean the setting would only need changing a few times a year.

Tags
mppt