Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2015, 07:37   #1

Boat: Lagoon 38
Topping lift

Ok rookie question I know. On our 380, as well as most cats, when the main sail is up the topping lift will touch the sail if it's on the leeward side. When I raise the sail I do it so the topping lift is on the windward side but when you tack then it's on the leeward side. Will this cause wear on the sail? Once the sail is up I will take the tension off the topping lift.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:37   #2

Re: Topping lift

Invariably, I ease the topping lift once the main is up. The side the line lies is simply determined by whcih side the roach is lying as you go to windward to hoist the sail. It pays to always watch the leach/roach as the main goes up as it can snag on the topping lift with part of the sail lying to the windward side and part to the leeward, in which case you ease the line early to avoid damage to the leach and any battons affected. Once the sail is set, simply pull the line tight by hand only and then you avoid it both flopping about, getting tangled on things if loose or distorting the sail shape (specifically the roach) if too tight. as you tack, you may need to check the tension again to ensure it is not interferring with sail shape. In essence, it is should be lazy bearing minimal weight as you sail, unless you are using it in certain conditions to shape the sail up high as in light wind conditions. Remember to tension it as you lower the sail so as to ensure the boom sits where you intend, and not as can happen, sitting on your bimini frame for instance.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:43   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Greg we have ours on the L400 wrapped around one of the horn cleats just behind the jammer. I can't remember if the 380 has the same horn cleat there. We have it set so that if the jammer is open, the cleat will stop the boom from dropping on the deck. The cleat rarely if ever needs adjusting. If you set the topping lift to where the boom almost touches the coach roof, when the sail is raised the topping lift should be loose enough that it won't impair the main on either tack. I think we used to allow our boom to actually sit on the sliding hatch rub rails so it couldn't swing around at anchor.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:59   #4

Boat: Lagoon 38

Thanks to both of you great information and kinda confirms what I thought. I think wrapping it around the horn cleat after adjusting it as low as possible is the trick for our boat - good idea!
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift