Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2021, 06:16   #46

Boat: 1992 Lagoon 42 TPI
Re: TPI Lagoon 42

Hi Chris,

Yes thats me, I believe I scheduled with your wife a tentative meet up time.
Thanks for the name for the windows i have been trying for a while to get a decent quote on them. I would love to get together to exchange ideas, especially with the owners layout i want to confirm the bulkhead locations to see how they designed that model as i have been working off old technical brochures.

Look forward to catching up.

ps. you will love the new sails , night and day different.

Joe
joe_goodgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 06:22   #47

Boat: Lagoon TPI 42

JOe, you sent that to me. btw I had good luck changing the compression tubes on the hatches with fuel hose. tighten right up!
mifi601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 07:31   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_goodgame View Post
Hi all,

Good to see this thread has been revived again, not too many threads out there with 42 TPI information. There is a fairly active Facebook group "Jeanneau Lagoon Catamarans 1987-1996" which covers all the old Lagoons, i have had some good advice on there.

Some info about my boat, 1992 42 ft TPI named freebird. We are based up on the Chesapeake bay. We love the boat and it sails beautifully. I upgraded the Main and Jib to expedition membranes by Evolution Sails, added a 5ft Bowsprit and Code Zero. I find she comfortably sails at 8 knots in 12 knots on the beam and with the new sails which are so much lighter than the old Mack Sails canvas she will sail all the way down to 2-3 knots of breeze without an issue. Changing out the boom for a new canoe style next month with single line reefing lead back to the cockpit and going to pick up a parasailer at some point.

On the clearance, i sailed up the Chesapeake into 30knots and steep seas and the movement was very comfortable with minimal slamming even at 60degrees to the wind. I can also fit my dinghy an OCTender 300 with a 9.9 yamaha under from the dock but like others i do need to lay down.

I have sailed with a very experience delivery captain who has logged countless hours on modern lagoons, leopards and FPs and says they are not a patch on this old lagoon for sailing ability. He says it sails more like a performance cat than production cat (you have to remember she weighs the same as a Catana 431). I have sailed on the Seawind 1260 and she sails as well and also doesn't bounce around as much. Just remember she is keeled and not dagger boards so not out and out performance but the depth of the keels and the slimmness of the hulls means she moves through the water very well and points nicely.

Hulls are narrow compared with modern production cats but still enough for the rear births to be nearly queen size. I am currently in the process of converting her from 4 cabin to three cabin and moving the starboard head forward.

As per the comments earlier i did swap out all of the old seacocks, the original ones were going string after nearly 30 years, but i feel more comfortable replacing them with some new bronze ones.

I agree with the comment on the davits, i am not keen on how low they ride so am having a new aluminum solar arch built with integral davits.

Have fun out there
Yes the bridgedeck clearance is better than most modern cats. I could get my 10 ft RIB under it but had to squeeze down a bit because the Yamaha motor would hit just a tad.

I thought the davits were fine, they held my heavy double floor RIB with the Yamaha 15 on it fine. It wedged nicely between the hulls. You just dont get seas bumping up back there where the davits are, the boat lifts up from stern seas, and head seas just dont do it.
My '92 had Marelon seacocks which the handles would break off of.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:50   #49

Hello all,
Thanks for this thread - some really useful info as I am looking to buy.

Can I ask a simple numpty question? I have a drying mooring and love to beach our old mono lifting keel. Do these TPI lagoon 42s beach / dry with no trouble or is there an issue with the keels/ props/ rudders?

Thanks in advance
Adiethesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:11   #50

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiethesailor View Post
Hello all,

Can I ask a simple numpty question? I have a drying mooring and love to beach our old mono lifting keel. Do these TPI lagoon 42s beach / dry with no trouble or is there an issue with the keels/ props/ rudders?

Thanks in advance
They are designed to sit balanced on their keels. We have no problem when on the hard, but havent ever beached.
We have settled at dock in a few places, to maybe a foot below the waterline, and had no problems.
The rudders are very close to same depth, so that is something to keep an eye on though.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 13:16   #51

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks in advance
No, they are deeper draft than many. 4.4 ft.

Old 10-07-2021, 14:14   #52

Thanks Cheechako and Chris Mac,
So this is the one:
https://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boat...or-sale/669506
Any thoughts?
We go to view Monday but I have been waiting a while for one to come along. Need to be able to sail single handed round UK (on my bucket list) and also be a family boat around SW UK, the Scillies, Brittany and across to N Spain.
Retiring next year so will have time and needs to be comfortable to live aboard at anchor while I potter!
What should I look out for other than the normal stuff?
Thanks again - all help is HUGELY appreciated.
Adiethesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 14:21   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

That is certainly a lot of boat for the money, good luck.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 15:58   #54

Quote:
So this is the one:
Any thoughts?
We go to view Monday but I have been waiting a while for one to come along. Need to be able to sail single handed round UK (on my bucket list) and also be a family boat around SW UK, the Scillies, Brittany and across to N Spain.
Retiring next year so will have time and needs to be comfortable to live aboard at anchor while I potter!
Evidently the engines have been replaced, that's good.
The engines they put in have a leg drive instead of good old shaft drive, that's too bad (to many of us anyway) That's one thing that is very nice about the TP! 42 is the shaft drive.You will have to research that and make your own decisions.
I'm not aware what that particular Nanni diesel is made from as a base motor.

One thing I like about the TPI 42 is the transition from the middle structure to the hulls was made with a big wide radius and not a sharp corner. Structurally good. But on any cat inspect those areas for cracking as it's high stress.

The vinyl ceiling covering falls down after time as the foam under rots. Look that over. Big messy job to fix or replace. But not the end of the world.

One rudder was waterlogged on mine in 1999 and it was a 1992 model.

Looks like a very good price to me, not sure why. Maybe the engines? look deep into the Nanni info from other users.
Good luck!

Old 10-07-2021, 23:25   #55

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:

So this is the one:

Any thoughts?

I agree with cheechako. The price looks good, but drop leg is less desirable than the original shaft drive.
That said, the pic on the hard looks like its shaft drive, or a very small drop leg.
There are some very definate owner mods(as most boats have) so I would pay attention to the quality of work in those areas. It will give you a better idea of the care and maintenance level.
It looks like a 4 berth model converting one to the workroom. Converting one to double bunks(maybe it was an option but I've never seen it) and the fridge looks to be changed in placement and type.
For general overview pay close attention to the entire hull. Above and below waterline. Water intrusion or soft spots particularly. Also windows for adhesion and leaks. Although I just had mine rebuilt and left my old ones as molds. So new ones can be made easily enough(in Florida)
Other than that it's all age and maintenance issues to look for.
Good luck, they are great boats

On edit
As for water logged rudders, ours had one as well(previous owner) and I have the blueprint onboard for any owners needing it
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 13:16   #56

Quote:
So this is the one:
Any thoughts?

How was the viewing, did you put an offer in?? She looks solid but as others have said the sail drives aren't the most desirable which is a shame.
Brackyinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:41   #57

Boat: Lagoon TPI 42

I am selling mine! PM me, if interested! Photos are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BKyvCT3nErseiw968
and specs here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
asking 199K, located in Miami
mifi601 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon