Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2012, 07:34   #1

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Upcoming improvements in the Lagoon Hybrid systems?

Has anyone seen any indication that the next-gen hybrids will improve on past designs?

I like the hybrid concept, and would like to have an electrically powered boat, though I think there should be some sort of direct-drive backup in case things go bad. I like the idea of having a single engine on-board, instead of three, and especially one which is optimized specifically for power generation.

Also, I think the fixed prop was the wrong way to go. The props should be retractable, or at least foldable so as to not create drag when underway.

Retractable props, direct drive backup feature, and maybe adding some additional sailpower to be used while generating...

Would that fix the 420 series? Anyone know if the new crop is likely to have similar improvements?
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 01:45   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Upcoming improvements in the Lagoon Hybrid systems?

I think for a production boat builder it would be a big risk to venture into such an offering as you list as their goal is to be profitable.

Probably if you started from scratch you'd design a very lightweight boat so loads are much less.

Also intermittent loading and unloading in a seaway doesn't lean towards an electric drive, those conditions chew power very quickly.

Maybe an auxiliary on a fast sailing yacht of any hull configuration would have been the best place to start.

I think Lagoon erred when effectively they chose a hull form that was more a motor sailer, i cannot imagine the costs they bore to send engineers around the world doing sex changes, no doubt the innovater who convinced them to fit hybrids now is a storeman working on LED's.

Only my thoughts.

The idea is great but it might be a while yet before a production yacht can confidently rely on electric drive.
Old 20-06-2012, 04:54   #3

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

Art,
A few comments.
One of the advantages of the props being in the water is regen. Removing or folding the props would eliminate that. My 410 can regen as much as 430 watts at 8 knots, that's as much as a couple of solar panels.
Shaft drive is what I got and wouldn't own a sail drive for all the problems I've heard about. Direct coupling to the motor is clean and simple.
The problems with the 420 have been documented and the 420 is NOTHING like the 410 SE system. Lagoon in there infinite wisdom decided to go it alone and paid the price. To add to that they sold a system that wasn't well understood by a number of owners and then some of those owners decided to put their boats into charter to people who for the most part beat the hell out of them, more so than a standard ICE boat. When the systems started to fail and Lagoon bailed on them why wouldn't an owner go back to something that is better understood. It's not that the system was to complicated it just took a different mindset to operate it. Add to the fact the 420 hull was designed for the battery bank fit and not for speed and you have another set of complaints.
3 410 SE's where built and all 3 are still operating with Electric Drives
1 of them was resold at above market price the beginning of the year, on the market 1 week.
I've continued to improve my system and plan on a LiPo4 battery bank when my current AGM bank goes bad (5 years old and still going strong) which should double my run time at 1/3rd the weight and size. Electra Glide came over from France on it's bottom and drive system and did the Islands then up to the Chesapeake. The delivery captain up to the Bay had no problems and had an abundance of electricity. I've burned 39 gallons of diesel in 4 years using the genset and most of that was because I'm getting most concerned about the fuel going bad. I can do 8 knots and in most cases get off the dock, sail all day and back home without using any dino fuel.
In other words I love my 410 and the system I have. I'll be interested in seeing if the Gunboats and several others will continue to use pretty much the same system I have in the future. Yes it's not for everyone but then it took a while to go from reines to a steering wheel. I also think I've become a better sailer running electric.

Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 SE
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 07:40   #4

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Thanks Hyprdrv. The idea behind the folding props, or liftable props was the ability to sail without regeneration, picking up some additional speed as a result.

My reality is that I prefer to sail with no motors whatsoever to the greatest degree possible, knowing of course that some motoring is essential. A hybrid system is not vital to that end, given the apparent ability of solar panels to provide substantially all required power to many people. However, I'd rather motor electrically (I think) than under diesel power, and would rather have a generation set than a prop-connected set if I have to run a motor at all, due to it's steady operation at a single speed, and only as long as is needed to regenerated battery power.

Definitely interested in finding out more about your system, and whether it'll be available in upcoming 410 or 420 models!
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon