Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2017, 13:21   #1

Used 400 vs used 420

Have been shopping around for a while and have decided I really like the lagoon as a live aboard. Was recently on a 400 and have not sailed a 420. From all the info I've read, it appears the 400 may sail better than the 420. Is this a correct assessment? Any big pros/cons between the two for anyone that has lived aboard. I would definitely get an owners version. Any input is appreciated.
stevenm2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 13:38   #2

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Used 400 vs used 420

L400 was designed for additional screecher. Presume 42 as well. Older lagoons have not been engineered for screecher that is why white sail plan more powerful and sail better under white sails. But then you need to reef earlier too and at that point boat with less sails will sail more efficiently.

When people refer to sail abilities is only white sails. Good screecher will get you going in sub 10 kn winds well, depending on how much effort put into trimming. White sails will be used in 8-10 + kn.

So, i would concentrate on other aspect of boat, before worrying about performance. All lagoons sail similarly.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 15:37   #3

Many aspects to consider. As Arsenelupiga said, sailing performance is just one and to get it on either model be prepared to fly bigger sails. It matters more to some cruisers than others. It also depends on your cruising grounds and lifestyle; some cruisers do lots of long distance legs, for others a 30 nm leg is a long passage.

You haven't said where you are, so the supply of suitable used boats may be quite limited, so perhaps don't narrow your choice down too much. Maybe if a good owner's version of EITHER comes up, you should look closely.

The L420/L421 is quite a bit bigger and heavier than the L400, so it depends on what size suits. Many L420s were originally "hybrid" powered with electric motors. This experiment was a bit premature technically, and many were converted to diesel. Unfortunately those vessels often retained the huge and heavy genset that is way too powerful for a diesel powered sailing vessel.

I know owners who are very happy with each vessel and wouldn't swap for the other.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 18:10   #4

Currently in Ft Lauderdale area. Initial intent is to live aboard just wife and I while cruising the Caribbean for a year or two while getting used to her. Longer term goal would be to cross the pacific and who knows from there. Would keep her up north during summer. Not looking for performance or speed. Highest on list is creature comforts. I understand that the L420 is heavier than the L400. Really like the interior of the L400 owners version. First time onboard was like "I want one of these"

Will be at the miami show in February, however, definitely looking at used and not new.
stevenm2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 22:28   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

I have no idea how the 420 sails. I can comment on some other details (I have went through the boat yesterday at Dusseldorf boat show).
420 has better design of stern steps (wider and shallower) which makes them much safer.
420 has better access to internal (behind bulkheads) plumbing and electrics.
The access to the engines is little better.
Mast is located further back. This must influence sailing behaviour. The boat I have seen had self tacking jib but I understand that this is an option and some boats have normal jib.
The new mast position caused the internal mast support to be placed in the middle of the saloon (on the L400 it is on the front of the saloon, out of the way).
Aft cabins have extra windows - better lighting.
Soloon front windows have hatches that open inward - less safe but easier to operate.
Old 24-01-2017, 23:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
I have no idea how the 420 sails. I can comment on some other details (I have went through the boat yesterday at Dusseldorf boat show).
420 has better design of stern steps (wider and shallower) which makes them much safer.
420 has better access to internal (behind bulkheads) plumbing and electrics.
The access to the engines is little better.
Mast is located further back. This must influence sailing behaviour. The boat I have seen had self tacking jib but I understand that this is an option and some boats have normal jib.
The new mast position caused the internal mast support to be placed in the middle of the saloon (on the L400 it is on the front of the saloon, out of the way).
Aft cabins have extra windows - better lighting.
Soloon front windows have hatches that open inward - less safe but easier to operate.
I think you are talking about the Lagoon L42, current model where as what the OP is after is comparison between, L400 still a current design or the L420 discontinued in 2010. Replaced by the L421 until last year and now superseded by the L42 that you inspected at Dusseldorf boat show.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 23:04   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Sorry. My post referred for sure to the new L42.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 02:03   #8

Boat: Lagoon 420

Tuskie hit it pretty much spot on. Both boats are lovable and have their shortcomings. Having owned a 420 for almost 5 years after a prolonged search coming down between a 400 and a 420, I am very happy with my choice. Performance is the last thing you should worry about unless you are ready to buy an Outremer or Gunboat. Production boats of a given age sail roughly the same. I have found that proper loading of the boat, sail condition & inventory, and captain's skill are far more important to performance than the boat itself in this category.

I love my 420 for its roominess, ease of access to most things, easy motion at anchor and at sea (provided you keep weight aft), connectedness between galley/salon-cockpit especially at sea (have 17k+ blue water double handed with wife), high bimini making it feel open bright and airy when sitting aft, and security with great handholds even in the roughest seas. But I am certain a 400 owner would say exactly the same thing.

My recommendation is to focus on the best used boat for your money unless something about the 420 or 400 grabs you (but this will be a passing fancy) and find a first class surveyor. Everything else can be worked around if you factor it in to the purchase price.

I for one would not trade my 420 for a 400 or the new 42 after inspecting both thoroughly. But that is me.

- Paul sv Blue Sky, Lagoon 420 #57 Owner's version
Seaqul is offline   Reply With Quote