Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2021, 18:04   #16

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: UV blocking film or treatment for catamaran salon windows

It makes for a cave, but with those big windows, this does keep the cabin cooler: I have snap on covers made of white (or pick your color) sunbrella on top of black sunbrella. The black keeps the light out. These also protect the plastic from uv.

In each cover, I have a strategically located "porthole" with a velcro attached cover that can be removed as needed. When working out this plan with the canvas shop, she said square holes would not be well supported, should be round. I had her do octogons to make sewing the velcro strips easier.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:56   #17

Boat: Farrier F32AX

You can find it here:
https://www.ifoha-folie.com/en/sun-p...k-2003065.html
I tested myself and it does make a substantial difference.
The need for special purpose film for acryl comes from different thermal behavior from glass, so the film has to cope with that.

Just a note regarding installation and usage - my windows have a frame on the outside of the boat therefore I was able to cut the film right at the inner edge of the frame and so it somewhat protects the edge of the film which is very lightly glued to the acryl. Glue is also supplied at link above.
If your windows are just applied (maybe with some fixing screws) on the outside of the boat than you will have an (sort of) exposed edge of the film that could come off with some light mechanical action from a line or whatever else.
You will see how it will behave only in practice.
Regards,
Paul
rpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:28   #18

Boat: Lagoon 39

Would one of you be onboard a L39 now and able to tell me the exact measurement in height of the salon windows please? Thank you in advance.

By the way I have received samples of the Avery R Silver 20X Poly and a few other products that I will be testing on my boat next weekend. Results to follow with pictures for those interested.
BenCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 16:36   #19

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

We use the stuff sold fairly cheap to shade balconies, also know as privacy screen by some folks.
Between 60 and 90% see through prevention.
Lots of colors available.
Outside shading keeps the heat out and prevents UV damage.

To protect window glue lines on acrylic windows we painted the outside perimeter of the glass with black 2 part polyurethane.
It does not harm the acrylic.
Actually many window bedding compounds are polyurethane based too.
Old 02-11-2021, 16:53   #20

Boat: Lagoon 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
We use the stuff sold fairly cheap to shade balconies, also know as privacy screen by some folks.
Between 60 and 90% see through prevention.
Lots of colors available.
Outside shading keeps the heat out and prevents UV damage.

To protect window glue lines on acrylic windows we painted the outside perimeter of the glass with black 2 part polyurethane.
It does not harm the acrylic.
Actually many window bedding compounds are polyurethane based too.
Thanks. I'll look into the paint options as the caulking between panels does suffer from the heat and UV too. Is the paint applicable on the caulk?
BenCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCo View Post
Thanks. I'll look into the paint options as the caulking between panels does suffer from the heat and UV too. Is the paint applicable on the caulk?
No need to apply on the caulk (even though that's possible too, Sikaflex can be painted upon.).
The glue joint of the expansion slot is not exposed to UV and the caulk itself is normally very resistant to UV. In case of Sika 285UV.

It's the glue joint failing under UV which creates leaks, not the breakdown of the caulking, at least if Sika 295UV is used.

You use two levels of protection (at least with Sika as glue) a black primer on the inside window surface which comes in contact with the Sika and on the outside perimeter a paint strip which is wider than the gluing surface.
For the outside we painted 3 layers of Internationals normal 2 component PU paint in black.
Wet in wet.
One layer was not thick enough.

The width of the outside perimeter paint depends on the width of the internal gluing surface and needs to be wider than it.

Sika have a very good manual on this.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:06   #22

Phifertex Plus shade covers with Reflectix panels slipped between them and the windows. 10F cooler, by my measure, and I also don't feel like I'm in a fishbowl. If I had a choice, I'd glass the damned things in and install opening hatches.

The term for the painted perimeter is "fritting."
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:29   #23

Btw. Despite the seemingly logical choice of white color for the sunshades it was suggested to me that this may not be a good choice for windscreens as you can't see very well through them from inside, especially at night (most people leave them on for the whole time when at anchor).
Dark colors allow you to see out at night. The difference in heat blocking is there but it's not as much as one thinks.

The privacy screen material has the big advantage that it is very low budget. You can buy it from a roll, or prefitted for balconies and sew and hem it to shape yourself.
We reinforced ours with truck tarp along the perimeter.
Old 10-04-2022, 23:12   #24

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

there is a 3M product especially for plastic windows, mirror finish outside, looks very nice, works very well, but after 4 to 5 years it started with bubbles, when I tried to remove it, the glue sticks on the window, the thin plasitc film comes away, have to change all windows now, there is a lot of crazing on the windows, both flat and bend. If in relation with the tinting foil I can not say.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 00:25   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
there is a 3M product especially for plastic windows, mirror finish outside, looks very nice, works very well, but after 4 to 5 years it started with bubbles, when I tried to remove it, the glue sticks on the window, the thin plasitc film comes away, have to change all windows now, there is a lot of crazing on the windows, both flat and bend. If in relation with the tinting foil I can not say.
Try with simple veggie oil, or petrol. Neither should harm your windows.
The vegetable oil works surprisingly well.

It's a similar approach to cleaning your blackened dirty hands after changing a bike chain.
Put some oil or butter in your hands, work it in and wash with warm soapy water.
Look mama, clean hands.
I could not believe this when I was told that, but it really works brilliantly.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:24   #26

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Try with simple veggie oil, or petrol. Neither should harm your windows.
The vegetable oil works surprisingly well.

It's a similar approach to cleaning your blackened dirty hands after changing a bike chain.
Put some oil or butter in your hands, work it in and wash with warm soapy water.
Look mama, clean hands.
I could not believe this when I was told that, but it really works brilliantly.
oder Baumharz, mein Auto parkt unter einer Fichte ;-)
Danke für den Tip

LG
Heinrich
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 20:51   #27

Boat: Lagoon 380

FYI. The decals perform a very important role, they protect the glue that holds the window in place from UV damage as many of you already know.
Removing the decal / protection and the glue will start to fail - and then your windows will leak and eventually fall out.

I know this because my windows nearly fell out due to glue failure. They came out alarmingly easy once I tried to pull them out.

I'm guessing the glue is Sika295UV - in which case the manufacturer advises, "a blackout tape must be fitted to the outside of the window as secondary UV protection ...".

Might be the same glue on those pesky escape hatches. Who thinks those pretty little aluminium brackets supplied by Lagoon are going to solve that problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9392.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	261615  
John Lagoon 380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 07:59   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lagoon 380 View Post
FYI. The decals perform a very important role, they protect the glue that holds the window in place from UV damage as many of you already know.

Removing the decal / protection and the glue will start to fail - and then your windows will leak and eventually fall out.

I know this because my windows nearly fell out due to glue failure. They came out alarmingly easy once I tried to pull them out.

I'm guessing the glue is Sika295UV - in which case the manufacturer advises, "a blackout tape must be fitted to the outside of the window as secondary UV protection ...".

Might be the same glue on those pesky escape hatches. Who thinks those pretty little aluminium brackets supplied by Lagoon are going to solve that problem.
Very true.

By the way you can paint with black 2 component PU paint on Lexan/Polycarbonate to achieve the same protection as the stickers and is easier to do than cutting very precise stickers.

We did this on all our windows.

Just needs 2-3 coats.
PU paint is basically the same chemistry as the 295-UV stabilised Sika glue but prevents the UV from reaching the glue joint underneath, provided the painted perimeter is slightly wider than the glue joint below.

Sika has more details on the width required in their manual.
Old 24-10-2022, 07:10   #29

So glad I did this and its done. Didnt do it all at once, but step 1) remove all (remaining) matrix leaving border. Used acetone/ water rinse. Got no hazing, well that i can see anyways) by doing small sections then rinse well. 2) Slapped some interior static cling Gila film for acrylic/poly. Light soap w/water for install 3) just did this step so not sure how long it will hold, 3) used spray paint for acrylics over the. Ext boarder.
Peace
Sohum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, men, salon, wind