Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 07:14   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Washing machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Anyone try a spin dryer on their boat? Seems like you could hand wash clothes in a bucket and then use this to spin clothes. For folks with limited space? IMHO the worst thing about hand washing is wringing out clothes...
Spin Dryer Junior

Granted not as easy as a washer if you have space...
Friends have a White Knight portable spin dryer and they have been very happy with it. The spin rate is around 2800 rpm (as opposed to around 1000-1500 for most small washing machines). With most of the moisure removed, clothes dry very quickly. I would consider this before buying a conventional dryer, as the power draw is much lower.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 16:09   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We don't have room for a drier, my plan is a small washer, sitting on top of the aft head. That way it's removable if we decide we don't like it. Plus I have no desire to cruise anywhere I need more clothes than shorts and a T-shirt, warm climates only.
On our boat building a washer in would be a lot of work, lost storage and to me the best way to guarantee it would break and a replacement one that would fit, wouldn't exist.
If I were to do a built in, I'd spend some bucks on a high quality one, not the $300 or so I'm planning on spending.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 16:37   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Friends have a White Knight portable spin dryer and they have been very happy with it. The spin rate is around 2800 rpm (as opposed to around 1000-1500 for most small washing machines). With most of the moisure removed, clothes dry very quickly. I would consider this before buying a conventional dryer, as the power draw is much lower.

SWL
I was introduced to these as a student in Germany. They work amazingly well, and your clothes feel better because there is less dried minerals from the water in them.

Not just less power, but much less time. It just takes a couple of minutes.

For warm/dry weather cruisers, an excellent thing. For the rest of us, the problem is that it does not eliminate the need for a dryer, and three (!) laundry devices is going to be a bridge too far, I fear.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing