Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2015, 10:54   #16

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Wat's the Performance of the Lagoon 52 under Sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
Ratings list from Catamarans Cup i Greece, some based on dimensions from yards, other from measured boats.
All Multi2000 as used in France and Finland (!) ST = Square Top Main

does not look right. Belize is considerably faster than Lavezzi, yet rating almost the same. Sailed both. Is this boat model based rating or it goes down to individual boat ?
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 00:45   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
Is this boat model based rating or it goes down to individual boat ?
Here is the complete list, some boats are properly measured, others calculated from designers specifications, and boats have different downwind sails http://www.cmid.dk/pages/Multi2000-all.xls
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 02:30   #18

Boat: Simpson Slipstream 50 Catamaran

I have been working as a crew on both the 52, 450 and the 440. If there are one thing Iīm impressed on itīs the value of a safe, comfy (at anchor) boat. But performance wise they are medium performers. All of them are ok in calm seas. But as soon the wind kicks up and there are heavy seas, they have big problems. And the problem is the low wingdeck clearance. Surfing down the boat stalls as the seas pack up under the wing and the boat slides sideways. Not to mention the noise of seas slamming.
The 52 have a nice working station. Not so on the smaller sisters. People tend to run into each other on the narrow bridge, and the helmsman must go out of the way all the time. Its meant to sit down working.
But the 450 i liked a lot as its a great boat for small money. But donīt lean on anything inside, it may break. But that goes for all the new lightweight interior nowadays.
And they feels pretty safe all the time even when surfing at 17 knots.
later I did a few mods on the 52 go get the screecher to an electric winch who made it easyer for one person to handle as more sailarea is better.
Old 15-02-2015, 23:37   #19

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkus View Post
I have been working as a crew on both the 52, 450 and the 440. If there are one thing Iīm impressed on itīs the value of a safe, comfy (at anchor) boat. But performance wise they are medium performers. All of them are ok in calm seas. But as soon the wind kicks up and there are heavy seas, they have big problems. And the problem is the low wingdeck clearance. Surfing down the boat stalls as the seas pack up under the wing and the boat slides sideways. Not to mention the noise of seas slamming.
The 52 have a nice working station. Not so on the smaller sisters. People tend to run into each other on the narrow bridge, and the helmsman must go out of the way all the time. Its meant to sit down working.
But the 450 i liked a lot as its a great boat for small money. But donīt lean on anything inside, it may break. But that goes for all the new lightweight interior nowadays.
And they feels pretty safe all the time even when surfing at 17 knots.
later I did a few mods on the 52 go get the screecher to an electric winch who made it easyer for one person to handle as more sailarea is better.
Can you elaborate on sea conditions that caused cat to stall? I have not gone thru storm yet.

My ultimate storm strategy is running away as lagoons are too fat to go against serious weather, i imagine. I will try when get a chance though, just to make sure. One can probably vary angle 60 deg each side of downwind that gives decent chances of avoiding most of real bad stuff.

Sea anchor is in my opinion no-no for lagoons as boat of that shape will not be pulled thru seas.

Buoyant hulls are best used when running away with drogue. In confused seas although noisy, i think fat hulls will do better than thin ones - more stable. And one hopes construction quality is good enough.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, sail