Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2010, 06:46   #1
Marine Service Provider

12vdc Smoke Detector ?

Does anyone know make one?

Seems a little crazy to have to constantly replace 9v batteries.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 06:53   #2

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Just search the web for 12vdc smoke. You'll find lots. My (hard wired) home security system includes a 12vdc smoke detector. pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 07:54   #3

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
I like the battery ones, ( I use the ones that take 6 AA). Because you are still protected if the main 12v goes down. An alternative is to use the ones that take external power and also have an internal (rechargable) 9volt battery. Not recommended but I have attached a radio shack 12v to 9v regulator to power the ones that eat batteries. (Home Depot smoke and CO alarm $50.00, Marine grade $200+)
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2010, 19:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Thanks Pete. Who would have thought having the DC in the search made all the difference in getting any results.

Damnit Bill, now you have me second guessing this. If only 9v NiMH batteries were more reliable.
Old 21-08-2010, 20:19   #5

I'm rocking one of these guys. It's got a readout of the carbon monoxide levels as they're happening. Kind of interesting to watch when you've got diesel exhaust or open flames in the cabin. You can watch it go up; it's smart enough to alarm at high levels or low levels for long periods of time. Amazon.com: Kidde KN-COPP-B Front Load Battery-Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display: Home Improvement

In regards to changing batteries the AA (I think?) we put in there have lasted over three years. If you get the lithium batteries they should last even longer. I specifically wanted one that didn't depend on the ship's 12v. My $0.02.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 19:03   #6
Marine Service Provider

Pretty cool! And they make a talking smoke/CO combo alarm too. Although there is one review that's a little scary, but could have just been a faulty unit.
Old 23-08-2010, 05:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
For gasoline, natural gas, or propane powered equipment, carbon monoxide is the primary gas of concern.

For gas detection applications, in which diesel engines are employed, nitrogen dioxide (NO2) should also be measured.

See the Installation Considerations here
Carbon Monoxide Review Page

Ideally, I’d recommend a combination detector for CO/NO2 (Carbon Monoxide & Nitrogen Dioxide). I haven’t sourced a practical unit, yet.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 05:10   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
12V dectectors should always have a battery back up. So you won't get away with eliminating the battery issue. Kinda pointless to have a 12V system that's not if you have an electrical failure/fire. Rebel, I'd be a changin those batteries at the least every year. Chances are good that's recommended on your units anyway. AAA, AA etc. are pretty cheap insurance.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 20:03   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I haven’t sourced a practical unit, yet.
No ****! I did a quick search, and even stand alone NO2 detectors seem to be a few hundred.

I may just skip on the NO2. Besides, my engine and tanks are on the transom, which is isolated from the rest of the boat. With the layout on the Gem, very unlikely to get inside the cabin.

Also just found out that talking CO/smoke one, for some reason, they say not to use on in RV or boat?
Old 24-08-2010, 14:05   #10

Don't know if you need a detector for nitrogen dioxide.

Quote:
Nitrogen dioxide is toxic by inhalation, but this can be avoided as the material is acrid and easily detectable by smell.
Nitrogen dioxide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 14:24   #11
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O
Detectors made for home use have two drawbacks on a boat or RV.

1. They are too sensitive to styrene emmissions and emmissions from vinyl upholstery.

2. They contain materials that are easily degraded in a marine environment.

When CO detectors and smoke detectors were first used widely on boats there were a lot of problems with false alarming and failing detectors. Since then the detector industry has improved the designs to make them less sensitive to the types of emmissions you commonly have on boats and to be more resistant to a salty damp marine environment

I would echo the comment to change batteries once a year, and the industry also recommends replacing the detector every five years (although, I have to admit I haven't done that).

By the way, I know mine work, they always alarm when my wife makes pancakes on the propane stove.
Old 24-08-2010, 14:32   #12

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
I found a co2 smoke detector in Home depot.. talks to the other hulls alarm so everyone on board will hear it, also has a test function to ensure its still working.... i put it in almost two years ago batteries are still ok. 9v.
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 18:12   #13
Marine Service Provider

Ike, Are you saying you should only use a marine unit? Or as long as it doesn't warn not to use in a boat, you're ok?
Old 25-08-2010, 21:59   #14
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O
No. I'm saying that marine units are less prone to false alarming and more durable in a marine environment. I was replying to your comment;

Quote:
Also just found out that talking CO/smoke one, for some reason, they say not to use on in RV or boat?
Old 26-08-2010, 07:35   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post
No. I'm saying that marine units are less prone to false alarming and more durable in a marine environment. I was replying to your comment;
Ok, well even the old one I have, no false alarms. I know it's working, though. Mine also always always seems to go off when breakfast is on.