Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2023, 10:11   #1

Boat: Beneteau Evasion 36
1992 Beneteau Evasion 36 Electrical and Grounding System

I bought a Beneteau Evasion 36 (my first sailboat), and after crossing the Gulf from Florida to TX, I realized the bilge pump wasn't pumping. After doing some searching, I eventually found that the terminal block for the bilge pump behind my DC power panel was no good anymore. It somehow has lost continuity across it, or so it seems. After doing some more digging around in that area, it looks like it's time to replace many of the terminal blocks as there are some serious signs of corrosion and other problems. A good general cleanup is needed, too.

Another big question I have -- does anyone know what the grounding location is supposed to be on this boat? I'm not sure if it's a keel bolt or if it's supposed to ground to the water through the prop shaft or something else...

I have limited information on this boat's electrical system, and I'm wondering if anybody can point me in the direction of anyone that might have some info on it. I reached out to a guy at Beneteau USA (Ward Richardson) whose name I had found in this forum, but he hasn't responded.

Does anyone know, just by looking at this, what type of terminal blocks these are? Most of what I see online doesn't have the piece that plugs into the front of these -- they're mostly just one connection in, one connection out, and a spot for a jumper. But maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

I've attached some photos and a PDF of the area as well as some of the documentation I have. One sheet says Evasion 360 at the top (my boat and seems relatively accurate), and another that shows the terminal blocks (sort of) is for a different boat (a 370) and the boat diagram isn't accurate.

For what it's worth, I'm currently reading through the almost 500 pages of Calder's book on boat electrical systems to become more familiar. I'm an engineer, but not electrical, and these boat electrical systems are a mystery to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	275166  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Beneteau Electrical Schematic Info.pdf (301.9 KB, 59 views)
brajgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 10:50   #2

Re: 1992 Beneteau Evasion 36 Electrical and Grounding System

I would just use good solid terminal strips and avoid those type. However, maybe you can find them and someone else will chime in.

I do see corrosion. Some of those wires will have to be stripped back a bit to expose fresh wire.

The first thing I would do is identify each wire by where it leads and/or which breaker activates power in the wire. Label each wire. At least you have a starting point with that PDF.

Then you can clean things up and reorganize to come up with a layout where to put your connection strips. If you spend the money for end fittings with shrink tube built on you can seal the wire ends well. They are more money though.

This process may be more helpful than the factory on this stuff.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, cal, electric, electrical