Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2015, 20:16   #31

Boat: Grand Banks 49
Re: 20 kW generator replacement ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
you shouldn't need to be replacing sensors to test it. just a matter of either disconnected or shorting them one by one (which way you' have to figure out, you really need a wiring diagram). untill the problem no longer happens. then fix that one problem.

someone who knows what they will doing will probably find it pretty quick. there is only a few things that would stop it.
===

If he uses GCME in Ft Myers Beach they will find it quickly. It's important to note however that it's not necessarily a sensor problem. Westerbeke's have a relay in the sensor alarm circuit that frequently has problems.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 17:32   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 351

I have the Westerbeke genset, mine did the same thing, and what I always do is call the manufacturer, ask for technical support, and sweet talk my way into their technical technical people, which is just what I did. The head tech guy said that the start switch bypasses all three sensors (oil pressure, internal water temp, and high exhaust temp) to let the engine start, and if it dies when you release, it is one of those three sensors. He said start with the oil sensor, make sure you have oil, and that the oil pressure gauge comes up when it starts. If it does both of those, replace the sensor, that is probably what it is. The sensor was less than $40.

Down load the manual from the Internet, and order the parts based upon model # and serial number, on my 7.9, the fan belts changed depending upon serial number.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Former: The Spike, Island Packet 44 #14; Bali Ha'i, Pearson 10M #14
Pirateking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 21:46   #33

Thanks to you all for the information and support
autolake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 05:17   #34

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 351

Autolake, I just retread my manual, the preheat switch bypasses the oil pressure sensor. It does not seem to bypass the high temp for water and exhaust. So if you start holding preheat, then show oil pressure on gauge, but does when release preheat, replace oil pressure sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Former: The Spike, Island Packet 44 #14; Bali Ha'i, Pearson 10M #14
Pirateking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 07:52   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateking View Post
Autolake, I just retread my manual, the preheat switch bypasses the oil pressure sensor. It does not seem to bypass the high temp for water and exhaust. So if you start holding preheat, then show oil pressure on gauge, but does when release preheat, replace oil pressure sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I already replaced my oil sensor and sender. Thanks
autolake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, men