Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2019, 18:36   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
24v Temp and Voltage Sense Location

Just installed the 6 new Fullriver Batteries yesterday in a Parallel/Series configuration for 24v.

To get a more precise and useful reading of Voltage and Temperature Sense for the Batteries, where would you connect the sensors?
Attached photo, top right gives the choices.
Probably being anal about this, but interested to know which location and why?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 1 1 1 2019 A Battery Plan FINAL Sense .jpg
Views:	110
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	202499  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 19:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I would put the voltage at the last battery connection which if I’m looking right is 6.
Or put it where the fuse is, shouldn’t matter.

Temp I would put on the neg post of battery number 2, reason is it’s the most centrally located point, batteries on the periphery could be slightly cooler

My Balmar temp sensor connects to the neg post which should be best, right? So does my Magnum.
My outback temp sensor glues onto the outside of a battery case which you would think would suck, but you know what? They all read the same.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 19:20   #3

Re: 24v Temp and Voltage Sense Location

Neg post of 2 I agree with. Probably warmest spot. But Will make very little diff.

Volt sense won’t even be a readable diff. Where ever is easiest.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 19:31   #4
CF Adviser

Thanks Guys, nice to have a concensus.

My Outback 80 did not come with a temp sense,.... should it have?
Old 01-11-2019, 19:39   #5
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

My Balmar temp sensor connects to the neg post which should be best, right? So does my Magnum.
My outback temp sensor glues onto .
Yes, The Victron Temp sense can only be connected to Neg.terminal
Is it an issue that #2 neg terminal is a SERIES connection?
For Voltage sense understood
POS #6. / NEG # 4
Old 02-11-2019, 00:39   #6
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Yes, The Victron Temp sense can only be connected to Neg.terminal
Is it an issue that #2 neg terminal is a SERIES connection?
For Voltage sense understood
POS #6. / NEG # 4
If that probe asks for a Neg it's because it's connected to a Pos on the other side. 24V I guess. Most probably it will not like to be connected to #2 neg which is then 12V. And even though we're talking very low power use, it is not good practice to pump one single battery out of a serial bank.

Which brings to balancing if you don't mind: it looks rather good considering the complexity of the bank but it is not perfect, and it can't be. May I suggest you do a test pumping a steady say 150A from the bank and check with a clamp ammeter that each 3 battery couple is providing (close to) 50A ? (the more you pump the better the test works !)
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:07   #7
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
If that probe asks for a Neg it's because it's connected to a Pos on the other side. 24V I guess. Most probably it will not like to be connected to #2 neg which is then 12V. And even though we're talking very low power use, it is not good practice to pump one single battery out of a serial bank.

Which brings to balancing if you don't mind: it looks rather good considering the complexity of the bank but it is not perfect, and it can't be. May I suggest you do a test pumping a steady say 150A from the bank and check with a clamp ammeter that each 3 battery couple is providing (close to) 50A ? (the more you pump the better the test works !)
Hi ROM
Yes the temp sense is a 2 wire connection at the Neg Terminal with a positive and negative connection at the Multiplus, so I was concerned about the 12v power to the temp sense .

My batteries now have lots of spacing between them for circulation so I thought # 1 NEG, closest to the Engine Room bulkhead and the first point of battery resistance would be the hot spot if batteries had problems

Plan on doing 300 amp load test and measure differences as you suggest
Old 02-11-2019, 01:40   #8
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
My batteries now have lots of spacing between them for circulation so I thought # 1 NEG, closest to the Engine Room bulkhead and the first point of battery resistance would be the hot spot if batteries had problems
I did not install the temp probe myself but if I were to I would use my 50EUR voltmeter/ammeter which also comes with a 1 meter temp probe to measure Neg 1 4 5 to find the hottest. Of course you could be unlucky, place it on 4, and have an internal short on 1 without the probe noticing. That is not the primary function of that probe though, so any Neg should do...
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:44   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Thanks Guys, nice to have a concensus.

My Outback 80 did not come with a temp sense,.... should it have?

If you want voltages temp corrected. It seems to rarely make a difference. But all my charge sources are temp corrected, not sure how important that really is though, I guess it depends of course on how hot the bank gets, I don’t go where it can get cold.
https://www.solarflexion.com/product...BoC00YQAvD_BwE
At least it’s a dead simple install. Stick it on and plug it in.

An Outback is I guess like anything else meaning the bare device will work fine, but you may want a Mate ( the remote control) and a Flexnet DC, and if you have that you have to have a hub for it to communicate.
Depends on how complex and how expensive you want it to become.
I recently learned from Nolex that an Outback can be made to terminate charge at an exact charge current, and for my AGM bank that’s the ideal way to ensure exact full charge and no overcharge, but it takes the Flexnet Dc and a hub (another $400) to get there. I already had the Mate.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote