Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 23:42   #1

Boat: Kia Orana. Roberts 44. Sloop. Steel
Send a message via Skype™ to mark ayre
3 stage charger for ex honda 350

Hi has any body got an idea as to what size three stage charger i can get with killing this EX honda generater, oh yes it is 240 ac generater.
mark ayre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 00:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I assume you mean "without Killing"
I assume the Genny is 350W, or is that 3.5Kw?The 240V is the voltage.
If it were 350W, then that is rather small and you will power about a 15- 20A charger. If it is 3.5Kw, then you could happily run any charger that would run on single mains voltage.

Ummm....you have a 44' sloop on Lake Wanaka?

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 00:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
the Honda ex350 is indeed 350 Watt, which should power up to a 20A 14VDC Battery Charger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ex350.jpg
Views:	3271
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	2586  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:05   #4

Boat: Kia Orana. Roberts 44. Sloop. Steel
Send a message via Skype™ to mark ayre
That got you thinking at least some one is awake. We keep Kia Orana in whangarei at the moment and she is up on the hard.
mark ayre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:17   #5

EX350

I couldn't find the specifics of weather 350W was total (12VDC + 240VAC) output or just the 240 line. But assuming Honda has a marketing dept. like everyone elses I'd bet that was total power output.
From here it would seem there are 6 DC coils and 15 AC, it would be reasonable to assume that you could get a maximum of 250 W of power out of the AC line. That will end up below 17A of charge into the batterys.
It seems the 12VDC line is intentioned for charging batteries. I wonder if you coud utilise that seperatly, i.e. charge a single battery from that and the rest of the bank from the 3 state. I can see trouble trying to couple the outputs togeather, probibly best to leave them seperate or not use the DC at all.
ywfbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:24   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
DC in most Genny's I have seen are 8A 12V. Why is that by the way. It doesn't matter how big the Genset, they are always 8A.
Anyways, these Honda's will happily put out 350W, but that is also loading the thing to it's max. 25A is about the max, so 20A is a fudge factor and allow's for losses.

Mark, that's a long way between you and the boat. But I suppose hopping on a plane from Queenstown is not too far in reality.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:48   #7

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
generator's internal inverter

The nominal 12V output would need a "buck-boost" dc/dc converter with a "3-step" regulation control. Don't know of such a product.

The EX series consists of an internal alternator that feeds an internal ac inverter so that the engine can run at a speed variable according to load....the way of the present and future generators.

To most efficiently utilize such a genset find a "switch-mode" 3-step charger with harmonic correction (sometimes called "PFC") rated at the generator intermittent (continuous if you have continuous dc loads, otherwise for battery charging the intermittent rating will help you maximize current charging) output power rating.
Old 04-02-2008, 13:15   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
To most efficiently utilize such a genset find a "switch-mode" 3-step charger with harmonic correction (sometimes called "PFC")
"Power Factor Corrected"

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 19:47   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: 3 stage charger for ex honda 350

This is an old thread, but I just bought one of these generators. Would like to power the max size charger to charge gel bats. I think that would be 15 amps, but was maybe going to try the xantrex 20 as the gel output is less volts and therefore less AC amps required.

Of course the bigger chargers can be detuned, to output a lesser amount. I'd rather stick with something simple.
Old 02-03-2024, 18:04   #10

I have the same generator. I'm trying to figure out if I can charge my 12V 100AH lead acid sealed starter battery, and the house bank of 2 x 6V in series totalling 12V 225AH. If I get a 110V 8A charger and connect it to the generator 110V AC output and to the batteries terminals will the 350W Honda be sufficient to get the batteries full? They are about 1 year old and have been sitting with no charge or loads for 3.5 months.
And, is it advisable to connect the generator's DC 12V 6A max output directly to the batteries terminals?
Yoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 19:20   #11

buy a couple solar panels. trying to charge a boat with a 350w gen is absolutory ridiculous.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 19:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoya View Post
I have the same generator. I'm trying to figure out if I can charge my 12V 100AH lead acid sealed starter battery, and the house bank of 2 x 6V in series totalling 12V 225AH. If I get a 110V 8A charger and connect it to the generator 110V AC output and to the batteries terminals will the 350W Honda be sufficient to get the batteries full? They are about 1 year old and have been sitting with no charge or loads for 3.5 months.
And, is it advisable to connect the generator's DC 12V 6A max output directly to the batteries terminals?

charging 325ah of battery with a 6a charger would take 54 hours of running the gen.

if they have been sitting for 3.5m they will be in bad shape and maybe no longer usable. they should have been charged every 1-2 weeks to maintain them.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 20:07   #13

I have 300w of solar panels. I don’t think they alone will be able to bring the batteries to a full enough state . I was thinking to get the batteries to 70-80% with the charger and then the panels will do the rest with the help of the 55ah engine alternator. I’m not sure what is their state. They were supposed to get charged by the panels but the anchor light which I left on is no longer on. Could be the bulb but could be the controller stopped charging them for unknown yet reason . The caretaker is disfunctional. The current setup is that panels only charge the house bank. I want to get a charger that will make it possible to do some charging in case they are very low, before I return to the boat because it will be difficult to get this stuff once there.
Yoya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda