Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2020, 07:09   #1

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
(4) 30amp pedestal to 50amp?

We are bringing our “new to us” boat up to our marina slip, which has a pedestal wired for 30amp plugs.

The boat is wired for both US 120V 60 Hertz and Euro voltage 230V 50 Hertz. Has a 3000 watt US voltage 120 60 hertz inverter with 6 outlets throughout the salon. The generator and a/c units are 230v. The p.o. ran the boat from 2 50amp outlets.

The marina will let us convert the pedestal to 50amps, but I’m still learning 12v (!), and clueless when it comes to electricity. Can anybody give us an idea of what that would entail, and an idea of the cost?

Thx in advance,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 10:55   #2

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: (4) 30amp pedestal to 50amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
The marina will let us convert the pedestal to 50amps, but I’m still learning 12v (!), and clueless when it comes to electricity. Can anybody give us an idea of what that would entail, and an idea of the cost?
The short and slightly snarky answer to that is that it will entail a phone call to a qualified marine electrician and it will cost whatever he asks.

I'd be surprised if the marina will let anyone not professionally qualified do anything to the marina shore-power pedestal. While the electrician is there, get him to explain the shorepower systems on your boat. Someone who self identifies as "clueless" and wishes to live long shouldn't be starting their electrical education with 100 amps of shorepower ... get pro help with that until you are a bit beyond "clueless".

good luck.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 11:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
The short and slightly snarky answer to that is that it will entail a phone call to a qualified marine electrician and it will cost whatever he asks.

I'd be surprised if the marina will let anyone not professionally qualified do anything to the marina shore-power pedestal. While the electrician is there, get him to explain the shorepower systems on your boat. Someone who self identifies as "clueless" and wishes to live long shouldn't be starting their electrical education with 100 amps of shorepower ... get pro help with that until you are a bit beyond "clueless".

good luck.
No sweat if it’s snarky, and while I said clueless, what I really meant was I can’t do that kind of wiring, and wouldn’t. I can safely add receptacles at home (110v) and other basic things, but I’d hire a marine electrician in any case. It’s not my first big boat, but it’s certainly my first that began as 230v 50H and now has lithium, and a mix of 230 and some 110 outlets.

I was hoping someone had done something similar and had a rough idea of the what’s involved - a snapshot, if you will. Your last idea of having him go through the systems to check them out and explain is a good one that I planned on.

Thanks.
Old 15-03-2020, 11:30   #4

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post

I'd be surprised if the marina will let anyone not professionally qualified do anything to the marina shore-power pedestal. While the electrician is there, get him to explain the shorepower systems, and their connections on your boat. Someone who self identifies as "clueless" and wishes to live long shouldn't be starting their electrical education with 100 amps of shorepower ... get pro help with that until you are a bit beyond "clueless".

good luck.

I second that. Even running two 30 amp cords off of the pedestal, not to be blithely attempted if you do not KNOW your electrical system, and how you are SUPPOSED to ensure it is safe. I've worked with electricity quite a bit, and I RUN to the electrician, when I do not fully understand something. The risks just aren't worth it.

These forums are full of very good information, please make use of them, but, please, heed warnings.
Old 15-03-2020, 11:59   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
pirate Re: (4) 30amp pedestal to 50amp?

converting a dock pedestal would definitely involve shutting down the dock electrical system. it would also require knowledge of the actual dock wiring and be able to do what needed to be done fairly quickly
Old 15-03-2020, 12:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
converting a dock pedestal would definitely involve shutting down the dock electrical system. it would also require knowledge of the actual dock wiring and be able to do what needed to be done fairly quickly
There’s a thought; I’ll check to see who does their wiring.
Thx,
Old 15-03-2020, 12:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
I second that. Even running two 30 amp cords off of the pedestal, not to be blithely attempted if you do not KNOW your electrical system, and how you are SUPPOSED to ensure it is safe. I've worked with electricity quite a bit, and I RUN to the electrician, when I do not fully understand something. The risks just aren't worth it.

These forums are full of very good information, please make use of them, but, please, heed warnings.
Yep, been here a long time through 5 boats, and the one area I avoid working on is electrical, other than 12v. That’s why I usually start here with the forum, with my flak jacket already on!
Old 15-03-2020, 13:03   #8

It would be done by dock staff or somebody they hire.

I would tell them to include the outlet change as part of your dock contact and have them pay for it. The monthly fee for renting a slip with 50a plug will be more then a 30a plug. So they
Will make the costs back.

As for how the boat works. I would suggest the past owner explain it to you. Or hire somebody to look at it and explain it to You.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 09:29   #9

Are you in Maryland?
I would tread carefully on the initial discussion. MD has been getting cranky on docks and a licensed electrician might be wary of anything that is not up to code.
Specifically, past the wiring up to size etc, the state wants all outlets GFI protected. Having a European wiring system makes that a piece of challenge.

Start by recognizing if you need that kind of power- might be 220/230 50 amps- but if loads are balanced onboard you might get away with 220/230 30 amp combined. Just understand the breaker on dock will pop if load exceeds 30 amps.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 10:17   #10

Boat: 75' steel sutton ketch,Warwick 70' aluminum sloop

the easiest way would be to make or buy a pigtail .... super doubtful that you would ever remotely use a full 50 amps of 120v power....just get a 30 Amp male to 125/250 50 amp female and plug your cable into the 50 amp socket and the 30 amp end into the pedestal. When you are running the generator there is no relation between the two voltages usually depending on wiring. Dual cables were probably for A/C load in a warmer climate......The PO may have run a dozen cables to 50 amp sockets,,,,, but it doesnt mean it was necessary.
s/v michaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 10:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
Are you in Maryland?
I would tread carefully on the initial discussion. MD has been getting cranky on docks and a licensed electrician might be wary of anything that is not up to code.
Specifically, past the wiring up to size etc, the state wants all outlets GFI protected. Having a European wiring system makes that a piece of challenge.

Start by recognizing if you need that kind of power- might be 220/230 50 amps- but if loads are balanced onboard you might get away with 220/230 30 amp combined. Just understand the breaker on dock will pop if load exceeds 30 amps.
Yes, in Md., although the boat isn’t here yet. I bought 2 50 to 30 amp adapters that mate to the two 50 cords that came with the boat. Then I was reminded that I have access to both sides of the pedestal since it used to be two slips, now converted to one cat slip. So I have access to 4 30amp outlets, and trying to figure out the best usage.

Thx,
Old 16-03-2020, 11:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Yes, in Md., although the boat isn’t here yet. I bought 2 50 to 30 amp adapters that mate to the two 50 cords that came with the boat. Then I was reminded that I have access to both sides of the pedestal since it used to be two slips, now converted to one cat slip. So I have access to 4 30amp outlets, and trying to figure out the best usage.

Thx,

Best to have the electrician look. The pedestal could be wired L1 - N - G 110V one side, L2 - N - G 110V on the other. 220V across. I wish they would put schematic on the pedestal, to make it easier to know. Don't know how your boat AC side is configured. Don't want to find out, with a surprise. Could be an expensive surprise.
Old 16-03-2020, 14:45   #13

Boat: 75' steel sutton ketch,Warwick 70' aluminum sloop

simple to figure out with a voltmeter.....
s/v michaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 15:39   #14

The OP stated he is not electrically adept/inclined.
Old 16-03-2020, 16:03   #15

Boat: 2013 Aquila Power Cat

We use this when at 30 amp docks https://www.amazon.com/Hubbell-Wirin.../dp/B0000AQQT9
lhuff35204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pedestal