Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2020, 23:54   #1

50a DPDT AC relay ?

trying to search for a 50a-60a DPDT relay (120v coil) for auto shore power / inverter switching. (6000w 120v inverter)

so far I can find 50a DPST contactors. and 40a DPDT online.

anyone?

or I guess two ST contactors that were mechanically interlocked?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: 50a DPDT AC relay ?

Furrion 50 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch ➥ https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...042&id=1832863

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Furrion 50 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch ➥ https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...042&id=1832863

I don’t want the 60 sec delay and control circuits. as it’s not not for a gen. I just want the relay itself.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:17   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

The industrial world uses mechanically interlocked relays at those currents.

65A relay - https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...p/sc-e3-110vac

Mechanical interlock - https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...o_80_amp/sz-rm

They also have auxiliary contacts that you may need depending on what you're doing. $180 gets you the whole shooting match

You can look for "reversing contactors" and find some places that will sell them assembled though there will be a phase reversal harness you'll then have to discard.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:55   #5

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II

You don't want a standard DPDT for this, unless it's forcibly-guided. There's a risk of one pole fusing closed or failing to switch, which would leave you with a neutral connected to the inverter and a hot connected to shorepower. Potentially dangerous.

Either the Furrion that GordMay linked to, or a pair of the Fuji contactors & mechanical interlock that Jammer linked to, would seem appropriate. Defender and AutomationDirect are both very good suppliers. (The Furrion switch is, internally, just a pair of contactors with a mechanical interlock between them. If you really don't like its control logic, just keep the essential guts of the thing and control the contactor circuit directly. I have a similar device made by GenerLink on my home's main connection, it just clicks over when you're generating your own power and switches back to the grid when you stop.)
Old 09-12-2020, 12:04   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

This 2P NO 2P NC contactor would do the task as specified. Looks like it's a Telemecanique (Schneider) product but I can't find the 120V coil version in their catalog.

Whether or not it would meet the interlock requirements discussed above or whether or not the contacts are break before make?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:10   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
trying to search for a 50a-60a DPDT relay (120v coil) for auto shore power / inverter switching. (6000w 120v inverter)

so far I can find 50a DPST contactors. and 40a DPDT online.

anyone?

or I guess two ST contactors that were mechanically interlocked?
easy enough to find in 230Vac land , search for 110V 60A changeover contactor
Old 10-12-2020, 11:50   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

I can’t imagine what you use a 6kw inverter for? Must have huge battery bank. Our sailing yacht is wired from shore power to dpst relay. Shore power energises relay coil and the shore power is connected to the n/o contacts. The inverter to the n/c contacts. Battery charger and water heater are on the shore power side of relay so are only supplied when shore power is on. Boat power is connected to the common/centre terminals. Only power outlets are supplied when relay de-energised (microwave and tv) that is from the inverter. When relay switches there is little or no load to burn contacts. I usually leave the inverter turned off but that wouldn’t matter anyway as far as load when switching. Just can’t imagine what anyone needs 6kw for. Guess I’m a unimaginative.
philcun50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:00   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcun50 View Post
I can’t imagine what you use 6kw inverter for? Must have huge battery bank. Our yacht is wired from shore power to spat relay. Shore power energises relay and the shore power is connected to the n/o contacts. The inverter to the n/c contacts. Battery charger and water heater are on the shore power side of relay. Only power outlets are supplied when relay de-energised (microwave and tv). When relay switches there is little or no load to burn contacts. I usually leave the inverter turned off but that wouldn’t matter anyway as far as load when switching. Just can’t imagine what anyone needs 6kw for. Guess I’m a unimaginative.
You need big invertors to start motors etc , I use a 4000w inverter on a 300Ah bank for example
Old 11-12-2020, 11:35   #10

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

I have used these in the past.

https://www.se.com/us/en/product/LC1...egory-id=50430

Schneider makes alot of stuff like this but it tends to be a bit expensive.
Old 16-12-2020, 12:45   #11

FYI I ordered the furrion and it has a dip switch to turn off the 60 sec gen delay. So it’s working perfect for shore / inverter switch over. With no delay. Without having to figure out how to bypass the delay.