Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2023, 08:32   #31

Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Re: 50amp shore power question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
I have never seen one at a dock either. But I know they sell them for the dock end and the vast majority of arguments in favor of putting it on the boat apply equally to the dock.
I didn't press for details, but at the boat show">Annapolis boat show the smartplug people were telling me something about marinas installing them. For those that use marinas or plug in when they do use one, that is a troubling concern.

While it is more of an aberration than a real issue, I have a guest slip at my dock and my boat is normally plugged in. But when a guest visits, I unplugged the cord from my boat and plug it into theirs. Because the plugs are an established standard, it is super convenient. Admittedly, this is not a major justification for using or not using a smartplug.
There is practically zero market penetration on the dock side. Not much higher on the boat side, although we have two.

I'm sure an adapter will be available if a Marina swaps as almost everyone has something other than the Smart Plug.

Their SP cords are more expensive but appear to be better made.

Most economic arguments say prices go down when adoption goes up, or least that's my understanding.
Old 06-11-2023, 08:37   #32

I have a 50 amp Marinco cord from 1985 used maybe twice. It's only problem is it needs a severe cleaning. $200 plus shipping, located in Camden ME
midnightlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:42   #33
MEC

Boat: Hinckley Sou'Wester 52 Dauntless

I converted my boat's shore power fitting and cable to Smart Plug several years ago and am very satisfied.

A significant percentage of yacht electrical fires are caused by corrosion in the bulkhead AC receptacle and/or cable plug. The smartplug system reduces this risk significantly. I have converted Marinco type shorepower cables to Smartplug and found the non-tinned conductors corroded, as others have. I purchased the smartplug shore power cable assembly. I feel the molded cable plug is sealed better than the splice on plug. Also, Smartplug shorepower cables use tinned conductors.

A final recommendation is to purchase a dacron sun protection sleeve to cover the shorepower cable from UV aging.

Hope this information is useful.
MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:58   #34

Boat: Lock Crowther 37' Catamaran - ORYOKI

Your discussion appears quite off the mark. Why? Because everyone I know who has installed a Smart Plug has ONLY DONE IT AT THEIR OWN BOAT END.

I haven't heard of any marina even thinking about doing it at their end.

Spoke with a marina operator and asked about fires and shore power plug. Said a few fires, but all at the pedestal end.
Old 06-11-2023, 09:20   #35
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

there is also a brand named "park power" by marinco that may have somewhat better prices.
Old 06-11-2023, 13:53   #36

Boat: Catalina 30

I am coming in late on this however...

The Marinco EEL Shore Power cable write-up states the cable wires are indeed tinned.. Not sure if this is accurate, but that's what it says...

Write up: https://www.fisheriessupply.com/shore-power-101

BTW, I have an older version of this cable on my boat.

I really like the boat-side connector. You squeeze the clamp, insert the plug and turn, then release the clamp. Clamp holds it firmly in the boat connector. Never had an issue..

The dock-side connection uses a normal connector.

YouTube Video (No, I do not work for Marinco...):

Marketing it to have a "flashlight" LED on the boat end plug is kind of dumb, as you should not be connecting a "hot" plug to your boat. The power-on LED's on both ends are a really nice feature however.

The 30 amp cable is relatively cheap boat-wise speaking: (between $60 and $120 depending upon length.)

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/mari...ordset/cs30-50

The 50 amp cord is off-the-charts. You will need to sell a kidney to afford it..

My two cents

cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 17:04   #37

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Most economic arguments say prices go down when adoption goes up, or least that's my understanding.
That probably applies when there is competition. But in a monopoly, as you get more and more places where you "need" it (your boat came with it, your yacht club has converted, peer pressure from your friends, etc), you are making less of an optional decision and more of a mandatory decision. And so a monopoly would find strong incentive to raise, or at least not drop, pricing. Look at some well established drugs that don't have competition for whatever reason -- the prices have nothing to do with current (or historical) costs.
In this case, selling at or below costs to establish market presence, and then raising prices as it reaches a "critical mass" would be a reasonable business model.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power