Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2020, 06:50   #31

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: 6 volt vs 12 volt Trojan batteries.

When I went looking for a remote watering kit for my Trojan batteries, I looked at Trojan's first. Local dealer wasn’t interested in a special order. Two Internet-based Trojan dealers gave me lots of run-around because they didn’t want to ship "international," even through a Miami forwarder. I finally managed to order it. When it arrived, it was in Flow-rite packaging. I’d suggest that you just talk to Flow-rite directly.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 07:04   #32

Boat: Norseman 447

WRT measuring amp-hours. It’s easy. Assuming that the metering circuitry itself is accurate, you should be able to measure your CONSUMPTION within few percent. Where the confusion arises is when people try to use amp-hours used versus amp-hours charged to attempt to determine what the battery state-of-charge is. The meters aren’t "dumb," you just have to use them within their capabilities.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 07:18   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Check out the Firefly batteries if you want a better system. They have 2V and 4V (@450 A*h, which should be at least as good as 600 A*h of conventional lead battery design).
That is exactly what I am looking at, but I will keep 440 AH, now probably down to 300 AH of my other AGM’s in a second bank, because I’m nervous that if I lose one of the Fireflies, I’m dead in the water.
However I recognize the defects built into parallel connection of batteries with SOC drift etc, where series doesn’t have that issue.
However what’s making me nervous is the Hype, over 5,000 cycles? Yes I know thats at the perfect 77f and other temps drop the number, but still 4,000 cycles assuming you were on the hook every single day of the year is still over 10 years.
I would never have to buy another bank, and never have to do any maintenance either.
Oh and the cost of $5.20 an AH is tough too, when you can get Flooded for $1 an AH.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 07:22   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
When I went looking for a remote watering kit for my Trojan batteries, I looked at Trojan's first. Local dealer wasn’t interested in a special order. Two Internet-based Trojan dealers gave me lots of run-around because they didn’t want to ship "international," even through a Miami forwarder. I finally managed to order it. When it arrived, it was in Flow-rite packaging. I’d suggest that you just talk to Flow-rite directly.
We bought Flow-rite watering kits for our Trojans via Marine Warehouse in Brisbane, very happy with them....

https://www.marinewarehouse.com.au/c...-pro-fill-kits

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 07:28   #35

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Oh and the cost of $5.20 an AH is tough too, when you can get Flooded for $1 an AH.
I don’t understand why people use flooded batteries in the leaving spaces. Self-destruction instinct? They belong to golf carts, but not under your bed.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 09:10   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

First off I don’t have any batteries under my bed, an airconditioner yes, and it’s likely as dangerous as the batteries.
I wouldn’t worry about the hydrogen for several reasons, largely cause it’s only given off when charging, and that’s not when I sleep, then it’s only in small amounts and hydrogen isn’t dangerous unless in larger quantities and contained and you get neither in a battery box.
I would say the fire danger is much greater than hydrogen myself and that is there regardless of battery chemstry.

Why would anyone put batteries under their bunk? Is your bunk in the center of the boat?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 11:07   #37

Boat: Island Packet 349

That was a proverbial expression, however, my batteries are under the couch that converts to a double bed, which is the most comfortable sleeping surface on the boat.
I am not concerned about hydrogen at all. Acid fumes. Don’t want to inhale them even in low concentrations.
Actually, I do have two jet thruster batteries (24 V) directly under my bunk in forward cabin, come to think of it. To shorten the length of cable, obviously.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 14:46   #38

Boat: Camano 41

Just this week came down to decision time for my Federal group 31 deep cycles bought in 2013. Of course it was out on the hook, that's how this stuff is figured out. The whole 12v 4 battery bank kind of gave up at once. My advice was to check each cell after a full charge. First battery all indicated recharge with the hygrometer, and would not hold a charge. Second needed 1 gallon of distilled water, which I also just did 4 weeks a go. Third needed 3 quarts and the fourth had 5 ok cells with one bad one. Rinsed the hygrometer after each cell. Then I called the priest for last rites, followed by my marine electrical guy. We went through the options, 6v, 12v, Trojan, Interstate and Surrette. His questions about loads, appliances etc were very thorough, but I also have a 9kw Kohler. He felt the Interstate, well made but 98 amp hours, are a little wimpy, the Trojan and Surrette were identical at 130, but the guarantee on the Surrettes is longer. Surrette is slightly less expensive, but that is of no concern. His opinion of series and wiring was less preferential to 12v banks so we went with the Surrettes.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 16:01   #39

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

I'm about to replace my 12 X 2V 600Ah Sonnenschein Solar 602's.
I can't seem to find anything that is better to spend the $$$$ on so will probably go the same again.
These have been on a hire boat & I can almost bet they have been brutally abused. (what hirey wants to listen to a genny?)
Even so they lasted 15 years.
Seems like RPC might be the best option in Australia.
https://www.rpc.com.au/catalog/sonne...ies-f-176.html
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 17:39   #40

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I tried a number of different batteries over a few decades but finally gave up on everything but Trojan T105s and would have them in the boat I have now except the battery box is not tall enough.

Keeping water in them is a pain in the but though.
I added the the Trojan battery caps that all interconnect with hose. A squeeze bulb services all the batteries at once.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 09:00   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I don’t understand why people use flooded batteries in the leaving spaces. Self-destruction instinct? They belong to golf carts, but not under your bed.

Why, what's the problem?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 09:02   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That was a proverbial expression, however, my batteries are under the couch that converts to a double bed, which is the most comfortable sleeping surface on the boat.
I am not concerned about hydrogen at all. Acid fumes. Don’t want to inhale them even in low concentrations.
Actually, I do have two jet thruster batteries (24 V) directly under my bunk in forward cabin, come to think of it. To shorten the length of cable, obviously.

Oh, I see.

I don't think sulfuric acid in low concentations is particularly harmful.

But FWIW, my battery boxes are vented to the outside, through the transom. Never smell a thing.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 15-05-2020, 09:11   #43

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Why, what's the problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Oh, I see.

I don't think sulfuric acid in low concentations is particularly harmful.

But FWIW, my battery boxes are vented to the outside, through the transom. Never smell a thing.
If a battery is charged at very high current or is overcharged it can generate hydrogen gas which can be explosive.

Battery electrolyte can a splatter out during charging. Electrolyte is 30-50% sulfuric acid. It doesn’t do well with a whole bunch of different materials and is really hard on electronics that may be in the vicinity.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 09:20   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
If a battery is charged at very high current or is overcharged it can generate hydrogen gas which can be explosive.

Battery electrolyte can a splatter out during charging. Electrolyte is 30-50% sulfuric acid. It doesn’t do well with a whole bunch of different materials and is really hard on electronics that may be in the vicinity.

Well, sure, but that's why God invented battery boxes, isn't it?
Walt Whitman
Old 15-05-2020, 09:42   #45

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

They mostly contain the acid splatter but do nothing for hydrogen. By mostly I mean there is some that is aerosolised that will escape a battery box.

Regardless of my knowledge of the risks involved my batteries are in the middle of the cabin with no box around either. There just isn’t room.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries