Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2020, 09:45   #46

Re: 6 volt vs 12 volt Trojan batteries.

Most 6V batteries are constructed with thick heavy plates due to their main use as golf cart power. The heavier the plate, the more cycles a battery will do.
If your 12V battery weighs as much as two 6 volt batteries you're fine. But it never will!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 10:21   #47

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Oh, I see.

I don't think sulfuric acid in low concentations is particularly harmful.

But FWIW, my battery boxes are vented to the outside, through the transom. Never smell a thing.
Maybe it is not particularly harmful, but I do not want to be a test subject. Iron rusts excessively in the vicinity of flooded batteries, which is enough of a warning sign for me.

Venting battery boxes outside is a very good idea and should probably suffice if done properly. I remember long time ago I had an Audi with a battery vented outside (it was under the rear seat in the cabin), and thought that it was a good engineering solution.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 18:53   #48

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Most 6V batteries are constructed with thick heavy plates due to their main use as golf cart power. The heavier the plate, the more cycles a battery will do.

If your 12V battery weighs as much as two 6 volt batteries you're fine. But it never will!

Good observation.

I’m inclined from everything said so far (at least related to the original question ) to go with the 6 volt T105s. But I’ll see if I can work out a grams per amp hour at 12 volts metric for comparison. I suspect it will favour the 6 volt cells based on your logic.
Old 16-05-2020, 18:34   #49

Boat: sloop 8.68m

I’m a live aboard running only 2 x deep cycle 12v century batteries from the local battery world in Australia.
Trojans are so expensive here and our own local stuff is just as good. 4 yrs on my units now, like yourself keeping them as fully charged as practicable. If you run 6v with the thicker plates I can only imagine your mileage. Thank me in 6yrs as you get another cold one outta your fridge.
insalt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 18:52   #50

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Good observation.

I’m inclined from everything said so far (at least related to the original question ) to go with the 6 volt T105s. But I’ll see if I can work out a grams per amp hour at 12 volts metric for comparison. I suspect it will favour the 6 volt cells based on your logic.
Matt, my boat has had 6x6 volt supercharge gc batteries as the house bank for going on 7 years now and their performance is still pretty darn good, though not quite as good as the first couple of years.
Would I buy them again, sure would.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2020, 19:28   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Matt, my boat has had 6x6 volt supercharge gc batteries as the house bank for going on 7 years now and their performance is still pretty darn good, though not quite as good as the first couple of years.

Would I buy them again, sure would.

Yes, my last pair were terrific. Something has gone wrong this time and I’m not blaming the batteries (yet).

I still feel like I’ve missed something so once I get some time this week I’ll go over things again.
Old 21-05-2020, 08:53   #52

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

For anyone with a height problem that may not be aware of these battery watering systems (I can't imagine disconnecting, removing from their shelf, watering, replacing and reconnecting all of my T105's):
**Trojan Battery HDL-UNV48/8V > 48 Volt Hydrolink Automated Golf Cart Battery Watering System
**Flow-Rite MP-2000 Qwik-Fill 12V Double RV Battery Watering System
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 19:13   #53

For those that follow such things...

I’ve gone over the whole system and I cannot find a single problem anywhere.

In summary, I have four separate digital systems that were telling me everything was fine in terms of voltages, currents and power used and returned.

I watched the batteries recharge every day, with every indication that the solar regulators were following a logical, three stage charging profile and producing the voltages that were asked for by the battery manufacturer’s own technical guy.

With 760 watts of solar, 630 AH@12V of battery capacity and an average daily energy budget of under 100 AH@12 V, these batteries should have lasted for ten years.

They’ve crapped out in a little over two years.

So, I’m ditching the lot and starting again. I’ve ordered two Victron 100/30 controllers and 6 Trojan T105s. I’ll rewire the entire main bus from scratch, just to be sure.

I really don’t know, and I’ll likely never know, what went wrong. The previous Amptech batteries served me well, and the Votronic solar regulators seem like they are working as they should, but clearly one or both were not quite right.

I saved a bomb installing the engine myself, so there’s plenty in the kitty to do the battery system right this time. I’m going with Victron and Trojan because, mostly, people have had very good results from each.

Thanks to all for the advice, particularly in regard to the original question, it was good to understand the difference.
Old 21-05-2020, 22:00   #54

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I'm following this with interest since I just got my new t-105s. you may have seen this already, but I am learning a good deal from this site as well:
https://batteryuniversity.com/
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 22:15   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I'm following this with interest since I just got my new t-105s. you may have seen this already, but I am learning a good deal from this site as well:

https://batteryuniversity.com/

Thank you, a great site. When combined with the real world experience of CF members there are not many questions left. [emoji846]
Old 21-05-2020, 22:21   #56
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
For those that follow such things...

With 760 watts of solar, 630 AH@12V of battery capacity and an average daily energy budget of under 100 AH@12 V, these batteries should have lasted for ten years.

They’ve crapped out in a little over two years.

What degree of confidence do you have that the batteries were tickety boo when first purchased and fitted?

Perhaps more important, what degree of confidence will you have that the new T-105s will be factory fresh?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 03:49   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
What degree of confidence do you have that the batteries were tickety boo when first purchased and fitted?

Perhaps more important, what degree of confidence will you have that the new T-105s will be factory fresh?

Not a lot on either count. I mean, in each case they were ordered in from the distributor for my purchase, I know my retail guys keep nothing on the shelf, but who knows what goes on in the background. Adelaide is not a big market.
Old 22-05-2020, 05:39   #58
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Not a lot on either count. I mean, in each case they were ordered in from the distributor for my purchase, I know my retail guys keep nothing on the shelf, but who knows what goes on in the background. Adelaide is not a big market.
I don't know much about the manufacture and distribution of FLA batteries but surely there must be documentation available detailing the manufacture date, the date of initial filling, first charging etc.

Can't hurt to ask some questions this time around or is this OTT???
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 06:54   #59

Boat: Privilege 37

Amused by the comments on T105s being heavy and tall. Personally don't have space for lots of batteries so have 2 x Trojan TL16H

TL16H 435 AH 425mm tall and 57kg
T105 225AH 281mm tall and 28kg

My battery space constrained by length/width dimensions, but not height

Have to admit, if I was renewing today I would be fitting Battleborn batteries.
Old 22-05-2020, 06:56   #60

I liked my 6v..... lasted longer
pkirkll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries