Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2020, 04:56   #91

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: 6 volt vs 12 volt Trojan batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo_Kai View Post
You will want to equalize your trojans which is a process which intentionally causes them to gas off. It's critical battery maintenance if you want to get the most out of them. I won't go in depth here and Trojan does not offer specific guidelines. You will want to research that. I bought 4 x 6v (105) in 2017 and had them parallel and in a series to bring them up to 12v. Works very well.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Actually, my L16H-ACs have very specific guidelines as to bulk, absorption, float and equalization voltages.

EQ is 16.2, which is unfortunate as neither of my charging sources (Xantrex 2000XC and Blue Sky solar controller) will reach that number, 16 being the highest.

FWIW, the Balmar Smart Guage gets upset with a little more than 15 and gives me an error message. The good news is that I never see it unless it's reached C100 (fully charged)...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 09:40   #92

Boat: Costco boogie board
Re: 6 volt vs 12 volt Trojan batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
Actually, my L16H-ACs have very specific guidelines as to bulk, absorption, float and equalization voltages.

EQ is 16.2, which is unfortunate as neither of my charging sources (Xantrex 2000XC and Blue Sky solar controller) will reach that number, 16 being the highest.

FWIW, the Balmar Smart Guage gets upset with a little more than 15 and gives me an error message. The good news is that I never see it unless it's reached C100 (fully charged)...

I meant more as to guidelines about when, how and how often. Although, that may have changed (level of info) in the last 4 years. Good news is the T105s are still going strong and they work hard.

Good luck with it all!
Kimo_Kai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries