Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2017, 04:33   #1

Boat: 1995 SeaRay 440 Sundancer
8.0 Westerbeke Generator want start

Good Day All

I just joined the forum and need some help. I can not get my generator to start at the remote station or on the generator itself. On the remote station the switch doesn't even move. I tried the reset button on the unit and it doesn't seem to do anything. I have fully charged the batteries and it want even turn over or click no movement from the unit at all. Please help
Thanks
Darrell
Chitimacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 04:42   #2

Re: 8.0 Westerbeke Generator want start

The switch at the remote panel does not move? Do you mean the switch is Frozen. If so the first thing would be install a new Switch
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 04:45   #3

Boat: 1995 SeaRay 440 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
The switch at the remote panel does not move? Do you mean the switch is Frozen. If so the first thing would be install a new Switch
Yes the switch want go up or down. Where Can I locate a new switch. Sorry but very new and green to all this. I just purchased the boat it is a 1995 SeaRay 440 Sundancer

Thanks
Chitimacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 06:31   #4

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

It might help if you are more specific about the model. I have a Westie BTD 8.0 generator, and there is no "reset" switch - the switch on the unit is a kill switch (emergency stop). On the remote there should be 3 switches - stop, preheat and start. Which one is frozen? All 3 are single-throw, spring return switches - that is you have to hold them in the on position, and they will return to off when released. The start and preheat are "press to close" and the stop switch is "press to open". As said before you will need to replace a broken switch - part numbers are start/preheat 024732 and stop 024731.

If you don't have the operator instructions, you can search on the net for them, or PM me an email address and I can send a PDF. I also have the technical manual and parts list if those would be useful.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 07:17   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

It would probably be worth your time and money to contact someone locally who is familiar with your unit that can help you. Going from nothing to something can be a very steep learning curve. Did the generator start during the survey? Maybe the surveyor made a comment about it on the report.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 09:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Chitimacha and welcome to the forum.

Another thing that might assist in getting you advice and assistance, you should tell us where you're located. This is a global forum and you would get very different recommendations if you're in Sydney Australia vs Vancouver British Columbia.

I think Deepfrz has a good point. From the context of your questions I'm guessing you have very little electrical and mechanical experience. If that's the case it may be time to go hire someone to help. Some things are just too complicated to figure out if you have no background in the are to build on.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 09:06   #7

Agree with the advice about getting local help.. very hard to remote diagnose this.

However, one small thing to check... on the rear of the instrument box mounted on the engine you may find an unlabeled switch. Change its position and try again to start. It seems to be some sort of master off switch.

Ross
yachtgemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 09:48   #8

I don't agree with the advice to call in the pros (just yet). First you've got to tackle it yourself, get all greasy, bruised and bloody; spend a lot of money on parts you probably didn't need, swear up and down and get just to the cusp of wanting to burn the boat to the waterline - then you call in a pro, who will overcharge you, not fix the problem until the third or fourth call-out, have you spend a lot of money on more parts you probably didn't need and will treat you like a moron. Since you're new to boating, I thought you might want to know the way it's done

If you can figure out how to post a picture of the offending switch, that might help. Also let us know the model number.
Old 19-03-2017, 12:05   #9

Boat: Colvic 34 - 40' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
.... and will treat you like a moron. Since you're new to boating, I thought you might want to know the way it's done
It also fun if you are new to boating (I started on dinghies, crewed on yachts and then did a yachtmaster) and female, but the best fun is that I am a rare beast, Im an electronics engineer so I let them treat me like the dumb ignorant bimbo, then I get my revenge, they never expect that, but I too have succumbed to the four vistis and an engine change because I'm not (or wasnt) a diesel engineer. I am now; I took my old engine, rebuilt it and proved it was just the timing chain slipped not lack of compression due to piston rings rotting away.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 12:45   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaJC View Post
It also fun if you are new to boating (I started on dinghies, crewed on yachts and then did a yachtmaster) and female, but the best fun is that I am a rare beast, Im an electronics engineer so I let them treat me like the dumb ignorant bimbo, then I get my revenge, they never expect that, but I too have succumbed to the four vistis and an engine change because I'm not (or wasnt) a diesel engineer. I am now; I took my old engine, rebuilt it and proved it was just the timing chain slipped not lack of compression due to piston rings rotting away.
Have to agree 100% that it's better to be an educated customer than to go and throw oneself on the mercy of the mechanics. Regrettably it isn't too uncommon for tradespeople to prey on those (who they perceive) as an easy target, and women are often considered part of that group.

Would love to be there when you reveal your expertise to a condescending repair person. Bet it is quite amusing.

So, what did you do after you found your dead engine wasn't dead? I hope at the very least informed the mechanic of their profound mistake.

To drift a little, this reminds me of something that happened to my nephew. He was in South America doing field research with a biologist and met a local girl also working on the project. They grew quite close (now married and with a new baby) so she invited him to visit her home and meet the family.

He arrived and first met her brothers who were fluent in English, greeted him in English so he replied in kind. The brothers, thinking he was just an opportunistic gringo taking advantage of their sister started discussing my nephew in Spanish in very disparaging terms. A bit later mom, who speaks only Spanish, came home and my nephew greeted her in perfect Spanish. Needless to say, the brothers were a bit chagrined.
Old 19-03-2017, 13:10   #11

Boat: Colvic 34 - 40' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Would love to be there when you reveal your expertise to a condescending repair person. Bet it is quite amusing.

So, what did you do after you found your dead engine wasn't dead? I hope at the very least informed the mechanic of their profound mistake.
I let them waffle on and then say "Oh I didnt know that, obviously the laws of physics have changed since I did my engineering degree, or as I suspect you think you can blind me with pseudo science, shall we start again without the ********?" Thats my usual line, I do have to let them pickup thier bottom jaw first. I'm old enough to be bold enough.

I bought an engine on ebay, I then re-built it to a running state with new parts. The mechanic fitted it. I must admit its a better engine, quieter, the right power and a marine engine not a converted car engine. I then re-built and sold the old engine. I told my mechanic who fitted it for a very reasonable price. - "You know my old engine? I rebuilt it and found the fault was the timing chain not the rings" I have now sold it working and it paid for the new engine and your fitting, thanks for the advice, even if your diagnosis was wrong, I'm better off. After all he did me a favour and I stopped him calling me and probably every other woman "darlin"
when I did the mechanics part of my degree they didnt teach us that
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 15:10   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS

Check to see if there is a small 8 amp fuse on the control box mounted on the generator.
drrmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 18:08   #13
cruiser

I disagree with all the lame, condiscending and idiotic advice you've received so far, please let me offer up some constructive advice which is more charateristic of this forum.

We had the same issue with our Westerbeke 10kw generator last summer. The problem turned out to be the three kill sensors along with the fuel start. It is a small piston like device which allows fuel to flow to the engine, it had gone bad and created the same symptoms you've described. Blown fuses to the control panel which relegated the toggle switch innoperable and cut fuel to the engine.

One other very likely cause would be a glow plug which has gone bad and is now creating a direct short. One of our glow plugs was creating a direct short which was tripping the internal control fuse, which then did not allow electrical current to the starter switch, so.... the starter switch you described wasn't working. The switch was OK, but the fuse would burn then not allow the engine to start.

The glow plug is most likely the cause of your problem. Deepfreeze is also right, it would be good to have a diesel mechanic diagnose your problem before you start throwing money at it. They will first see if there's power going to the switch, check the fuse, check the shut off sensors and test the glow plugs.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 18:08   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaJC View Post
I let them waffle on and then say "Oh I didnt know that, obviously the laws of physics have changed since I did my engineering degree, or as I suspect you think you can blind me with pseudo science, shall we start again without the ********?" Thats my usual line, I do have to let them pickup thier bottom jaw first. I'm old enough to be bold enough.

I bought an engine on ebay, I then re-built it to a running state with new parts. The mechanic fitted it. I must admit its a better engine, quieter, the right power and a marine engine not a converted car engine. I then re-built and sold the old engine. I told my mechanic who fitted it for a very reasonable price. - "You know my old engine? I rebuilt it and found the fault was the timing chain not the rings" I have now sold it working and it paid for the new engine and your fitting, thanks for the advice, even if your diagnosis was wrong, I'm better off. After all he did me a favour and I stopped him calling me and probably every other woman "darlin"
when I did the mechanics part of my degree they didnt teach us that
Darlin'? I didn't know that was UK affectation.

Sounds like you did come out OK on the engine swap but, even if the old engine paid for most of it I'm sure it was still a bit of a pain.

I've considered repowering but my 30 year old Westerbeke (which is actually a Perkins with red paint) runs like a top. It is loud, vibrates and leaks a little oil but if I keep it happy it may outlive me. The biggest concern is the thought of pulling the old engine out which would require threading the needle into the main cabin and out the main companionway. Euch.
Old 19-03-2017, 18:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I disagree with all the lame, condiscending and idiotic advice you've received so far, please let me offer up some constructive advice which is more charateristic of this forum.

We had the same issue with our Westerbeke 10kw generator last summer. The problem turned out to be the three kill sensors along with the fuel start. It is a small piston like device which allows fuel to flow to the engine, it had gone bad and created the same symptoms you've described. Blown fuses to the control panel which relegated the toggle switch innoperable and cut fuel to the engine.
See that Dale Carnegie training is paying off

A tripped breaker, bad sensor or bad fuel solenoid will all cause an engine to not start when the toggle is depressed, but none of those will prevent the toggle itself from moving up or down, as the OP described.

Tags
generator, westerbeke