Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 16:07   #16

Re: 9000btu A/C and a Honda 3000 generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvnvltn View Post
Why would Honda rate the generator for a 13,000 btu unit if it can't run a 9?

I had a Honda eu3000is and it would easily start and run my 15,000 BTU RV AC even in eco mode, with no hard start caps. Since you're using the shore power cable and plugged into the 30A outlet, yet still tripping the circuit breaker, I'm going to take a wild guess and suggest that you have other 110v loads (like the battery charger or something) that's putting you over the 30A breaker limit.

If you've shut off all other 110v loads, there is a possibility that the 30A breaker is defective.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:54   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: 9000btu A/C and a Honda 3000 generator

I ran my 9,000 BTU AC and Heat on my last boat from my Honda 2000 all the time. Even with the 40A battery charger, small fridge and a few other small loads. All through a pigtail from my 30A shore power connector to the normal outlets on the front of the Honda.

It probably pulled more than the rated loads of the breakers and cords for a second when the compressor started. But the cooling water pump, fan and compressor did start a few seconds apart, so it wasn't all at once.

See if you can gather up two or three 1,500 Watt space heaters or hair dryers. Run them through the same setup, starting one after the other, first on low (750 W) then on high. You should be able to get two of them going on high at the same time (3000 W), at least for a little while. That will prove your generator and wiring can handle the rated load. You may even be able to get a third one going for a brief while, and estimate your peak load capability from that.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda, paracelle