Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2024, 16:46   #16

Re: A nice little 56v/100amp single cylinder Diesel DC genset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
I came across and thought others here might find this interesting.

Its a single cylinder Hatz DC Genset - sells for approx $7000 USD. It has a Flywheel integrated PMG alternator - from the factory - no after marker shenanigans here ! (and its not pointed at the marine market so price is reasonable). Compare this to your Panda Fischers and others like it.

At 100% load it runs at 3000RPM and gives out 100 amps at 56v. At 3/4 load (where a genset should be run) it runs at 2300rpm and sips 1.2 litres of diesel - pretty frugal ! At 2300 RPM its putting out 75 amps @56v.

It is J1939 equipped so all the sensors needed are onboard from the factory to be able to monitor the genset. It can communicate with the outside world so can be monitored remotely and is ready for the IOT (Internet of things).

Best part ? I came across a company in the USA who says in thier brochure that it can talk too and be controlled by a Victron Cerbo using CAN.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...f?v=1696344804
And what are you going to do with 56V?
col50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 18:55   #17

For the last two years we have been running a WhisperPower 3.5kW generator that uses a Kuboata engine to drive a permanent magnet alternator that feeds DC power directly to our 24V battery bank. The engine AND the alternator are fresh water cooled. It has a foot print and weight just a fraction of the 6kW Onan it replaced.

Between the sound shield, an exhaust water separator, and a well insulated engine room nobody outside the boat knows it is running. We literally have had people hull-side in a dinghy not know we were running the generator. It auto-starts and stops with a simple connection to our Victron control system. We have a complex electrical system, and all of our 220V/50Hz and 110V/60Hz is made by inverters. It is very much like driving a Prius. You know there is a generator in there somewhere, but you can basically ignore it and just use power when and where you want.

The system is neat, clear, efficient. Sips diesel. The only way we could be happier is if it cost $7000. But I suspect the OP will discover that he will spend a LOT more than he thinks to PROPERLY marinize a diesel genset not designed for the ocean world. Not to mention transforming 56V DC into something suitable for battery charging.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 20:37   #18

Boat: Garcia Alu retractable keel 42

Some good intel there Harmonie, thanks.

Yes lots to consider. I am going ahead on this genset - placing an order this week. Seems like the best way is in one of the lazerrettes - but will see. It surely cant go in the engine bay - that hot dry exhaust is too much to deal with. The vibration is something I haven't thought about that though and thats does require careful consideration.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 20:41   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by col50 View Post
And what are you going to do with 56V?
Charge LiFePo4 batteries. This genset is essentially a diesel powered battery charger. It interfaces via CAN to the Victron Cerbo.

A LiFePo4 battery fully charged correctly is 56v (3.5v per cell where a LiFePo4 cell should be charged to and no more - very little energy in the cell above that and it just stresses the cells to sit at a higher Voltage)
Old 03-06-2024, 20:47   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
For the last two years we have been running a WhisperPower 3.5kW generator that uses a Kuboata engine to drive a permanent magnet alternator that feeds DC power directly to our 24V battery bank. The engine AND the alternator are fresh water cooled. It has a foot print and weight just a fraction of the 6kW Onan it replaced.

Between the sound shield, an exhaust water separator, and a well insulated engine room nobody outside the boat knows it is running. We literally have had people hull-side in a dinghy not know we were running the generator. It auto-starts and stops with a simple connection to our Victron control system. We have a complex electrical system, and all of our 220V/50Hz and 110V/60Hz is made by inverters. It is very much like driving a Prius. You know there is a generator in there somewhere, but you can basically ignore it and just use power when and where you want.

The system is neat, clear, efficient. Sips diesel. The only way we could be happier is if it cost $7000. But I suspect the OP will discover that he will spend a LOT more than he thinks to PROPERLY marinize a diesel genset not designed for the ocean world. Not to mention transforming 56V DC into something suitable for battery charging.
Not going to marinize it. It will stay air cooled out in a lazerrette. There is another option on my boat but its very boat specific and I am not sure if it will fit or not - but will figure it out. This is a very small genset and I like not dealing with the so called "marine" companies. As much as possible I source things that have nothing to do with marine - dont like the price gouging that goes on because they can - but then who does. Sure, some things there is no choice but to bend over and take one, but I believe tis little genset is a very significant step forward for me in solving some challenges I have on my boat and my particular situation -ymmv.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:07   #21

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Not to mention transforming 56V DC into something suitable for battery charging.
56V is suitable for charging a "48V" LFP bank. I am pretty sure that is the reason he is interested in this model they make other models too.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 08:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
56V is suitable for charging a "48V" LFP bank. I am pretty sure that is the reason he is interested in this model they make other models too.
Yes that is correct - this diesel battery charger is for charging LFP. A 48v battery that is actually reading 48v on a mulitmeter is almost flat or close to it.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:55   #23

7g for a one bang air cooled Gen set? I don't think that is even close to being a good deal. And then of course you got to convert 56 volts to something you can use
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 10:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
7g for a one bang air cooled Gen set? I don't think that is even close to being a good deal. And then of course you got to convert 56 volts to something you can use
Why do people keep saying to convert it? Nobody would convert it.

56V is the charging voltage for a "48V" (which is never 48.0V) LFP. You would never buy a 56V generator if you didn't have a 48V (actually 56V) system the same way nobody would buy a 24V alternator and then convert it to charge a 12V battery.

Would I get this? Probably not. Aircooled makes it noisy and hard to integrate and one could just get an aircooled AC generator to power a battery charger instead. However the voltage is correct (for a "48V" system). They likewise have a 28V option (for "24V" system).
Old 05-06-2024, 10:03   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Depends on what your needs are. This little genset suits me very nicely thank you very much. I prefer the air cooling - in my specific use case.

The 56v is needed for charging LFP - it integrates with Victron's Cerbo via CAN. If you want to get 16 LFP cells up to 3.5v ea - then you need a charger with a voltage of at least 56v.

This genset is a diesel battery charger. My need is to charge batteries. I dont know of too many 48vnom DC gensets. A few out there, all very expensive.

A DC genset is the most efficient way to charge a battery using a genset - I know of a petrol one as well based on a Honda motor.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:08   #26

Quote:
A DC genset is the most efficient way to charge a battery using a genset
True especially if it is brushless but don't miss the forest from the trees. AC battery chargers are usually 95% efficient. If you save 5% fuel annually what is that in saved dollars ($50?). If you pay $2k more that puts a break even at 40 years of usage.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:16   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
True especially if it is brushless but don't miss the forest from the trees. AC battery chargers are usually 95% efficient. If you save 5% fuel annually what is that in saved dollars ($50?). If you pay $2k more that puts a break even at 40 years of usage.
Its horses for courses. I need to be able to charge my battery banks up when out on anchor somewhere. I dont want to use the main diesel engine for charging purposes when anchored. Besides that I am considering deleting the main diesel anyway - not sure yet.

An AC charger will be used for dockside charging - the diesel battery charger is for when away from the dock. No room for a bigger AC style genset and even if there was room for this its not the most efficient way to charge a battery.

This genset suits me very well for my situation. I get it may not suit yours.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:24   #28

Quote:
No room for a bigger AC style genset and even if there was room for this its not the most efficient way to charge a battery.
Again the efficiency is essentially a rounding error of nothing.

Comparing apples to apples you certainly could fit an AC generator and just plug it into the shorepower inlet when offshore.

https://www.absolutegenerators.com/y...=&gad_source=1

I am not saying don't get it just that if your reason for getting it is for efficiency you likely won't live enough decades to make up for the higher up front purchase cost.
Old 05-06-2024, 23:08   #29

I think it will get way too hot if you put it in a lazarette. I tried this with a small Honda 10 years ago. Added sound proofing, 2 large engine blowers and custom exhaust to the transom. It could run 5 minutes then overheated to degree that was seriously dangerous, Don’t do it is my advice
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 00:19   #30

Boat: Island Packet 40

Now that large capacity inverters, and high storage capacity batteries and solar panels are economic and readily available the AC gensets of cruising yachts is a dead concept.

Tags
diesel, single