Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2020, 09:27   #1
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
AC circuit breaker Q?

Do i really need two double pole circuit breakers in my AC line before the distribution panel? According to code (ABYC?) we're supposed to have one breaker inline within 10' of the shore power inlet plus, we have an additional one at the distribution panel (at least mine currently does). If my new AC distribution panel is within 10' of the shore power inlet...can i eliminate one of the circuit breakers, assuming Ac power goes directly from that breaker to the AC switch panel?

A secondary question i guess would be...is there any advantage to having the dual pole circuit breaker incorporated into the AC panel -vs- having it seperate? Paneltronics has an AC switch panel im eyeing that does not have the mains circuit breaker incorporated but they have them as standalone panels. i am thinking of wiring my shore inlet to a standalone breaker panel switch then feed that to the AC switch panel.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:19   #2
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Re: AC circuit breaker Q?

If you want to comply with the ABYC Standard, there needs to be a circuit breaker (2P for 125VAC, 3P for 250VAC) within 10', measured along the conductor, of the shore power inlet. If the panelboard is within 10', the installation complies. If it isn't within the 10', then an additional CB is required between the shore power inlet and the panelboard main breaker.
If you need to install the secondary breaker, I recommend upgrading to an ELCI to keep your boat, and the water around it, safe from AC leakage.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:40   #3
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: AC circuit breaker Q?

Much thanks. Good to know. That will make my distribution panel layout a little cleaner.

Maybe I will look at the Blue Sea 2 pole breakers for my main AC breaker. I dont think Paneltronics makes/has ELCI breakers. Will have to ask.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote