Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 08:17   #16

Boat: Cascade
Thanks for clarifying the reason for getting rid of the fuse box Gord. As I understand it the protection needs to trip both polls at the same time and a fuse could never do this.

I have some boat time today so I’ll start shopping around.

I put on a GFCI outlet in the fist outlet in line. It is a standard Rona speacial does that need to be changed or is it effective?

Thanks for the tip David I'll shop around
Old 07-11-2009, 08:19   #17
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Gord-Yes. It appears that they have met the requirements for UL and UL Marine tests, which is a lot different (and less expensive) then being UL Listed and they "comply" with ABYC requirements by virtue of the independent third party testing perfomed by the IMANNA Lab. See the July 9, 2009 entry at: News About SmartPlug Systems Also note that unlike galvanic isolators (ABYC A-28) or the work in progress standard for battery switches (E-1107) there is no detailed test criteria provided in E-11 for shore power plugs and receptacles.

That being said, E-11.6.3.1.2.1 certainly implies that grounding and locking fittings with a male inlet and female inlet are acceptable:

Quote:
11.6.3.1.2.1 Except where the shore power cable is permanently connected to the boat, the boat end of this cable shall be terminated with a locking and grounding female type connector to match the boat
power inlet. (See FIGURE 13 and FIGURE 14)
...that is until the cited section completes with the referenced figures that show standard NEMA fittings.

Are they compliant or are the standards behind the state of the art? I will say that I have replaced a very large number of 30A/125V and 50A/250V inlets and cable ends that showed signs of heat stress from scorching, to overheating through the spectrum to a molten fire causing mess. This new kit looks to be a solid improvement.

By the way, E-11 is out for comments as we speak.

Best regards,
Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, fuses