Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2020, 20:13   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR
ACR issue.

I’ve got a 30 ft Catalina. Older one. Replaced old wiring and batteries. Used the 7650 add a battery from Blue sea. Also battery monitor. All working good. Finally got fridge working on 12 volts. Over night fridge kills house battery when no solar charging. My house is I believe 800 amp. I’m thinking of adding a second or 3rd battery for house. Do i need to add another 7650 and ACR. Was going to have the 2 or 3 more house batteries in Parallel. I know guys have more than one house bat but do they also have a separate charging for each controlled by an ACR.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 20:23   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: ACR issue.

What is your current house bank, I would be doubtful you have 800ah bank. Even at half that you should have 3 days with no additional charging. Odds are you have an 800cca start battery running your fridge.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 19:07   #3

Ya. I believe my house is 800 amp bat. The fridge draws 5 amp and runs intermittent. It’s a good box. What i did also was not shut off the on/off switch also that night. The battery monitor only draws a small amperage. It’s LED. Only other thing is the bilge whic might of kicked in once if that. Engine did start as the BS controller locked it out. Just house voltage was about 4 when i got to it. I know i need another one or two house batteries. What I’m kind of looking for is if i need another couple BS switches and combiners for the extra bank of batteries. I was thinking to have them in parallel
Old 15-01-2020, 19:37   #4
rbk

800ah battery or bank...? If you think you have an 800ah single battery you do not. Even if your fridge drew 10 amps that’s 80 hours of continuous use. I am certain you are running an 800 cold cranking amp start battery with maybe 80 amp hours, which is more in tune with your overnight battery drain. I would suggest you start doing some battery and electrical research before you do something regrettable. This stuff can kill you if done wrong and you’re on track for an award. The questions and statements you’re posting show you need outside help or a good crash course to give you a healthy respect for this stuff.
Old 15-01-2020, 20:21   #5

Your not talking to some idiot here. I’m sick of you guys treating people like they know nothing. I haven’t been on this site for some time due to that reason. Ive read post where you thin k everyone’s an idiot. I’ll stop here. Goodbye. I.m done with Cruisers forum for good.
Old 15-01-2020, 20:51   #6

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
800ah battery or bank...? If you think you have an 800ah single battery you do not. Even if your fridge drew 10 amps that’s 80 hours of continuous use. I am certain you are running an 800 cold cranking amp start battery with maybe 80 amp hours, which is more in tune with your overnight battery drain. I would suggest you start doing some battery and electrical research before you do something regrettable. This stuff can kill you if done wrong and you’re on track for an award. The questions and statements you’re posting show you need outside help or a good crash course to give you a healthy respect for this stuff.
Ditto, that's what I thought as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnimigon View Post
Your not talking to some idiot here. I’m sick of you guys treating people like they know nothing. I haven’t been on this site for some time due to that reason. Ive read post where you thin k everyone’s an idiot. I’ll stop here. Goodbye. I.m done with Cruisers forum for good.
Well, that went well didn't it. You got a good response, apparently not to your liking and so spat the dummy. Goodbye.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 23:37   #7
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Well, that went well didn't it.
Guess I could have left out the award comment. Not everyone can laugh at themselves I guess.
Old 16-01-2020, 04:51   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Guess I could have left out the award comment. Not everyone can laugh at themselves I guess.
You did your best
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 05:11   #9

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnimigon View Post
Ya. I believe my house is 800 amp bat. The fridge draws 5 amp and runs intermittent. It’s a good box. What i did also was not shut off the on/off switch also that night. The battery monitor only draws a small amperage. It’s LED. Only other thing is the bilge whic might of kicked in once if that. Engine did start as the BS controller locked it out. Just house voltage was about 4 when i got to it. I know i need another one or two house batteries. What I’m kind of looking for is if i need another couple BS switches and combiners for the extra bank of batteries. I was thinking to have them in parallel

OK, lets reset. Your house bank is 800amps. What is your setup? how many batteries of what type make up that bank? Is it regular lead/acid, AGM, lithium? without the fridge on, can your solar fully recharge the bank in a day, and how many watts is your solar?
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 06:48   #10

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You did your best
I agree. This is from an old post: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2569453
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clip.png
Views:	71
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	207039  
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass