Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2021, 19:23   #16

Re: Adding inverter with existing battery charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterix View Post
A Switch like this?
Position 1 : connect battery charger to battery and inverter disconnected
Position 2 : connect inverter from battery and battery charger disconnected
No the switching needs to happen on the ac side. Not the dc. Otherwise the charger is still being powered by the inverter. It’s not charging the batteries but it’s still on. Which is silly.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 00:22   #17
cruiser

Even though I'm into electronics, it would be irresponsible to explain here because I haven't the language to assist terminating your system..

Did similar.
Had choices of easy.
$21 switch. Need 2 of them. Only 1 can be operational at any one moment. Throwing the switch manually or automatically to accept mains throws metal conducts via a moment of no power can physically draw though system.
With AC requirement of inverter no longer required, inverter sits there doing wait. Load on batteries barely a ripple in a bath.
As well as switches, system requires wires, a base to mount switches, a waterproof housing, plug that makes waterproof housing seem silly yet why not. Housed anyhow to protect children, may as well water proof.

Or bigger switch built to do that pictured below. I chose $21 switches (made from 40+ year old switches that were in the spares). Robustness. Security of ultra fast switch rate that when watching a tv, radar, etc from 220v you wouldn't see the switch. Thus because quick hands don't pull much sheet, a very stable system.

But if interested and lacking knowledge. I'd ask an electrician prior purchasing parts. If lucky enough to know an electrician.

Straight tell and ask
" I want a fast physical lock out switch for mains .
Prioritised to mains, such that my inverter will shut down and batteries will charge whilst on mains power."

Show him battery charger manual. Show him inverter standby usage. He will have a better understanding whether batteries will cook or if inverter system is inefficient during no inverter load. Eg during on mains.

Other ways around this include inverters remote switching that comes with power converting inverter. Will disable didn't even blink mains blackout feature but enable even less draw from charging batteries. I don't use that.
Although in a house, soon moving into a houseboat known as a yacht.

To me it is to easy to blow things up.
For that reason I'm planning to switch through smaller battery banks enabling only on charge, only on discharge and never failing to halt to reduce fetch of electrical network. Eg calm seas.

1 bank here. I risk an extended fetch with a very small withdrawal rate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210126-225656_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	240479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210128-005807_eBay.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	240480  

CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 16:14   #18

Boat: '84 Tayana Vancouver 42

I appreciate all of the feedback. I thought about a combination inverter/charger, but since I already have a nice charger I didn't want to pay the extra cost. I still might end up going that route though.

I spoke to an electrician and he suggested adding an on/off switch before the charger. Such a simple solution, I'm embarrassed for not thinking of it. Thumbs up to StarCruiser, Stu Jackson (et al) for suggesting the same thing.
SVRealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 03:24   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carole ann View Post
Magnum makes an inverter with a 50 amp charger built in and when shore power is on it cuts out. Great gadjet.
Thanks..
Researching.
Lazy too.
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger, inverter