Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2024, 14:40   #1

Adding Solar to Existing Freedom 25/Link 2000 System

Hi All,

I recently purchased another new to me, yet older, boat, and am in the process of figuring out all of the electrical systems. As it is set up, I've got a Xantrex 25 charger/inverter coupled with a Link 2000. It's been a pretty good setup, and I definitely enjoy the Ah used feature for when I'm away from shore power for any extended period of time.

I've decided to add solar. I don't want to worry about being able to start the boat after running what I want to off of the batteries for a couple/few days. I'm going to start with a single 100W panel, since I have room for it on my radar arch. I'll get a digital MPPT solar controller, probably bluetooth.

My big question is how to wire in the solar (from the solar controller) so that the Link 2000 registers the Ah put back into the battery? I've seen diagrams with the positive wire from the solar going to a battery switch, rather than directly to the battery. I believe there is a wire from the Link 2000 to the battery switch, so that may work?

In the Link 2000 Manual, on page 12, it reads:
"F05 - ALTERNATIVE ENERGY MODE
DEFAULT: OFF
ON = USE ALTERNATIVE ENERGY DEFAULTS
Turn this mode on if your Link 2000 is used in Alternative Energy Systems.
This function
1) reduces the time necessary to satisfy the charged parameters from five minutes to one minute;
2) sets Batt #2 discharge floor to 100%;
3) prevents Batt #2 from doing Ah resets;
4) changes Charged V parameter to 13.5 V (27 V). If you're using a semi-mechanical photovoltaic controller, we strongly suggest you also consider changing Charged Current to 4%"

Does that mean that if I just connect the solar controller directly to the batteries, as shown in all the solar controller manuals, the Link will note the charge going back into the battery?

Any and all help or suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan
DanK319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2024, 20:15   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Adding Solar to Existing Freedom 25/Link 2000 System

The answer to your question at the end of your post is no.

The owners manual for the Link 2000 is not great but it does have a diagram that should help you understand. The diagram is on page 41 of the version of the manual I found online and shows a system with a solar panel. Ignore the fact that there is just a solar panel shown and not a solar controller - the solar controller would be wired in as it shows the solar panel wired w.r.t. the rest of the system.

There is a current measurement shunt between the negative battery terminal and the negative power distribution bus such that all the current passing from the battery to the loads and back passes through this shunt and the current is measured. The measured current is totalized with time to give an amp-hour measurement. Current from the inverter/charger also flows through this shunt so that the total amp-hours taken from or put back into the battery can be tracked. The solar controller should also be wired, as shown in this diagram, so that charge current from the solar controller flows through the shunt.

I have no opinion to offer on if the alternative energy mode is useful. It looks pretty old school. I've never heard of a "a semi-mechanical photovoltaic controller".
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 07:44   #3

Re: Adding Solar to Existing Freedom 25/Link 2000 System

Doug,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. That was extremely helpful! The version of the manual I was going off of was only 40 pages long, and has no such diagram.

After some searching I did find the version you were referring to, and the diagram on page 41 helps clarify your post even further. I think that with this, I'm good to go! Thank you very much for your help.

Dan
DanK319 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom 25, solar