Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2010, 12:15   #1

Boat: Compac 27 Miss B. Haven
Air-X Wind Generator Woes

Need some advice! I have an Air X Marine 400 turbine mounted on my sailboat and yesterday a tree fell on it ! It looks like the only damage that it sustained was a broken blade but will know more once I get it off and run some testing. My current question is; Does anyone out there have any expierence with the aftermarket blades that I see advertised? Is there any advantage to the longer or wider blades? Any reason to consider modifying the blade angle as some of these aftermarket blades offer? They always make it sound so much better, more efficient, and cheaper!

What is the consensus out there?

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions, you guys (and gals) always have words worth listening to!

Jim
Old 26-04-2010, 13:13   #2

Silentwindgenerator makes it silent without loosing power.
Joshua1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 13:59   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I replaced mine with a longer set.(Ebay) They DO start turning in much less wind and as they are turning they ARE making power even if it's a miniscule amount. I was trying to cure a problem which turned out not to be a problem after all. If you email me I have an original set I'll let you have for the price of the shipping. Let me know.....martin
Old 26-04-2010, 17:24   #4

Boat: Compac 27 Miss B. Haven
Joshua1,

Thanks for the link, the Silent Power blades look very interesting and had Turtle's owner not made the very generous offer he did I would consider them. I have their site on my "Favorites" and perhaps when the money is better.... or better yet a hint or two around Christmas time....

Cantxsailor,

Thank you so much for the offer! I will send to you my address via e-mail, and would be happy to pay for any shipping and packaging costs. Also, if come Christmas time and Santa brings a set of the Silent Power Blades I will be sure to return them or make every attempt to locate them another home for the same wonderful offer that you are presenting.

Jim
Old 26-04-2010, 21:55   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
how did they come up with that price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua1 View Post
Silentwindgenerator makes it silent without loosing power.
$259 for a set of three blades. Carbon fiber. For that price I'd be expecting blades made of titanium.

Tags
generator, wind generator