Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2010, 00:23   #16
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Your unit must be pretty old to have that much movement. I'm surprised you didn't have problems with the brushes keeping contact with all that moving around. The wedges do work well its just a matter of increasing the size of the pointed edge. They won't go in far. So make like 3 to a point, then 3 that are 1/8" at skinny end then 1/4" . Don't forget to remove snap ring, I had to buy some snap ring pliers, are the other bearings holding up? I'm amazed that they last as long as they do. We had a whole night of gale force winds recently where the darned thing was spinning at mach speed with the ammeter buried.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 00:43   #17

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
Mine is a 2002 model. So its getting on a bit. The other bearings seem okay but I might change them all if its not too much trouble. I've taken out the electronics, so now I don't have to be quite so careful. I got some plastic wedges from the hardware but they kept breaking. Nothing is moving,yet. What did you make your wedges out of ?
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 01:18   #18
cruiser

They were hardwood scrap that was available on boat probably teak.
Old 26-01-2010, 05:55   #19

Jim,

The cup puller is only for the bearing. My shaft came out pretty easy by tapping with a mallet. I would try the wedges with penetrating oil on the shaft.
Soiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 12:49   #20

I'll put some penetrating fluid on for a few days and try again at the end of the week.
Thanks for your advice.
Jim
Old 29-01-2010, 19:01   #21

Yeh ! I did it.

Well, I finally got the yaw shaft and the bearing out.... a lot of penetrating fluid, some hardwood wedges and a fair bit of smashing. Unfortunately, in my enthusiasm, I manage to break the red led on the underside of the housing. I'm hoping that this can be replaced without too much drama.
It will be nice to stop destructing and start constructing.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Jim
Old 29-01-2010, 20:59   #22
cruiser

Where are you at. I've got a whole. Box of parts including 2 LEDs. I'm in St pete florida currently
Old 29-01-2010, 22:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Where are you at. I've got a whole. Box of parts including 2 LEDs. I'm in St pete florida currently
I'm in sunny Queensland, Australia. Thanks for the offer. I should be able to buy an led at the local Dick Smith Store (our Version of Radioshack). If I have anymore problems, I'll post a query. Thanks again.

Jim

P.S Apart from the stuck bearing, I am really surprised at how easy the Air x is to pull apart. I just hope it all works when I put it back together.
Old 04-02-2010, 13:14   #24

Does anyone know the VOLTAGE OF THE RED LED on the Air X ? I have to put a new one in and I don't want to have to put it together and pull it apart because I got it wrong.

Thanks
Jim
Old 06-08-2010, 05:44   #25

spares for Air X

Wow this forum is helpfull does anybody where I can buy a potentiometer ? from I think mine is faulty as the air x keeps switching on and off very quickly.
mike
Paget lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:25   #26

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpemb7 View Post
Does anyone know the VOLTAGE OF THE RED LED on the Air X ? I have to put a new one in and I don't want to have to put it together and pull it apart because I got it wrong.

Thanks
Jim
An LED is a diode (light emitting).
A generic one will work fine. You can use the color of your choice Just make sure the polarity is correct or it won't light. If you look closely at the wiring inside the LED, you will see a pattern to the metal bits. Install the new one in the same configuration.

BTW, why do you need to replace it?

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 16:13   #27

senormechanico

Thanks for the info. I posted quite a few months ago. And it's now all fixed and up and running beautifully (touch wood). I broke the led removing the bearing. Got a bit carried away. But like you say it is easy to replace, just get the polarity right. The assistant at Jaycar Electonics was very helpful. It's great to go to a store where the electronics assistant knows something about the subject. I installed a white led that lights up red when the Airex is functioning. This is much easier to detect a problem.

Paget lady asks about the potentiometer. I don't really know if it can be replaced or not but what I do know is that the symptoms you describe occur if the wiring is not correct. If the airex regulator is detecting higher voltages because of other charging sources ( such as a solar panel). It tries to start up, detects higher voltages and then switches itself off and keeps cycling that way until it drives you insane. Try wiring the wind generator directly to a battery, with all other wiring removed and monitor the voltage. Of course if the test battery is already close to fully charged/ or shorted you will get the same result.
Before I put my Airex back on the boat I used an electric drill to fire up the generator ( remove the blades first) and wired it up to my car battery in the garage using some jumper leads. I used a cut off allen (hex) key. The led lit up ( about 600 rpm I think) and voltmeter showed my car battery charging. So i knew the unit was working before I installed it on the boat.

Don't know if this helps but my point is to make sure the problem is the potentiometer before you start pulling the Airex apart.

Good luck
Old 07-08-2010, 23:52   #28

Thanks for that, when this problem happens, I am sailing with no other charging available and the batteries are down around 12.3 volts. I originally attempted to turn up the voltage turn off to more than 12.4 but unfortunatly when I tried to turn the small screw clockwise the whole unit turned, I then oiled the screw and tightened the lock nut and was then able to adjust the screw, since then I have had this problem, I wonder if it is necessary for the body of the potentiometer to earth to the Air x body or may be must not as moving it seems to have caused the problem. I have not been inside mine yet, can you tell me if there is sufficient wire on the potentiometer to alow it to turn or do you think I may have damaged a wire or connection, i should say that as soon as the unit moved just a few thou i stopped.
regards Mike
Old 08-08-2010, 05:16   #29

Paget Lady

There is heaps of wire in the housing to allow you to turn the whole thing around many times. I doubt whether that is your problem. I don't really know enough about electronics to be of much help though.
However, when I had my problems forsailbyowner was very helpful.I know he is very faimiliar with the electronics. You could send him a PM and he might be able to help you more. I do feel for you. I know how frustrating it can be.
Goodluck
Old 29-08-2010, 09:57   #30

Paget Lady

Hi I have finally taken it apart possibly a little stupid as I now find that it is still under warranty. Any way the slip rings are a terrible mess the Positive one in the middle has a deep grove in it the Neutral is less groved but the whole unit is full of carbon dust.I have removed the Slip rings so now am waiting to see what Southwest have to say about it, has anybody removed the slip rings and replaced them without any problem getting them to run true with the Yaw bearing ?
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05176reduced.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	18763   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05171reduced.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	18764