Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2015, 12:58   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Venezia 42 Owner's Ver.
Re: Aix X blade question

Canibul, I'm also thinking about upgrading to the blue blades but the best price i can find is from eMarine for about $400. Where do you get them for $255????
Mainstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 13:46   #17

Boat: S&S 52 Design#2126

Due to the similar shape the 'blue' blades are not that quiet either-less noisy tho... but if the noise in the cockpit is so great that you can't hear the conversation maybe you need to check the bearings as well, and since by shorting the wires do nothing ( should just slow the turbine to free spin/rotation with no charge but never stop completely) then if that happens to me I will pull the unit apart and check everything inside... hope by removing the blades you didn't push shaft to far in as this my damage inside components, so best way is to make a spacer from the PVC tubing before you put the nut back ( of course if you removed blades with the hub together). I just rebuild couple of old AirX recently.
Capt.Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 14:05   #18
hlk

I have blue blades. My friend has black blades from my boat I can hear is blades louder than mine. I agree, you'll never be sorry.
hlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 14:36   #19

Boat: 1 off, Composite, Longkeeler with centrecockpit, Ketch, Launched 1960, 49 ft.

Hi there! Certainly, chipped blades make the noiselevel a lot worse, but I can highly recommend the blue blades. Changed mine in 2008, was anchored out in a river with lots of wind and - suddenly even could hear the nightingales singing!!! It doesn't matter any more to me for how much cheaper I could get the regular blades, I'll always replace with the blue ones if they should get damaged. They are a real improvement in life-quality for me.

One thing that might help for all those with the black blades (but is also important with the blue ones): make sure the distance between the tips of the blades is 100 % equal.

Fair winds
Dody
Dody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 14:56   #20
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstay View Post
Canibul, I'm also thinking about upgrading to the blue blades but the best price i can find is from eMarine for about $400. Where do you get them for $255????
I was looking at bluemarinestore.com where they have them at 239 euros, (ex. VAT) which at the moment is $ 259. Right? I think it was 255 when I looked before.
Old 23-04-2015, 16:25   #21

Boat: looking for next boat

Don't waste your money on the black ones, I used the blue blades from silent wind on my AirBrease and it made a big difference ,You will have to change the hub as well.
Garethk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 20:44   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I was looking at bluemarinestore.com where they have them at 239 euros, (ex. VAT) which at the moment is $ 259. Right? I think it was 255 when I looked before.
Good that you pointed out the €238.84 ex. VAT price as I never noticed that, always stared at the €289 price; what happened to my eyesight?? lol
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 21:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
How did you know the regulator died? Output stop entirely, or did it get erratic? I have been assuming that as long as I can measure voltage on the output wires and shorting them brakes it, that the system is still basically working. Just loudly.

Would love to junk it and buy a new one, but twelve hundred dollars seems to be the going rate for a brand I recognize, and that's US prices. There are some considerably cheaper wind generators with some really good specs on the internet, but the one manual I downloaded was in a character set I couldn't translate.

Doesn't give me a warm feeling about customer support from a distance.
This shop was mentioned before, but they might be ale to help you, I noticed they sell the circuit replacement kits, among other things:
Bluemarinestore.com

another one I found is:
emarinesystems.com

Also this article might be of interest:
Can not recommend Spreco Silentwind Wind Generator - S/V Gudrun V

And lastly, I would stay away from the cheap chinese wind gennys as I haven't heard anything good about them, apart from the price.
Old 23-04-2015, 21:16   #24

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Mike, thanks for your Kind words!
The Blue Blades are a HUGE improvement in sound levels. Although I resell them, I cannot match the prices above, as here in NZ I have to buy through a regional distributor, and the stuff has already been freighted to this part of the world, which ads cost.
I can confirm that these blades are a direct replacement for an Air X, but an Air Breeze will require a hub and nose cone as well.
The Standard Air X or Air Breeze blades are primitive and roughly made in comparison - which you will see if layed side by side. The Spreco blue blades are matched sets - for balance. You can improve the original or current blades for the Air X or Air Breeze just by sanding them smooth. That makes quite a difference! However, they never will be as quiet as the blue blades!
Personally, I'd never have anything else on my wind gen.
Oh, and the complaint above about the SilientWind. The old 600 series controllers were a bit problematic. The new 1000 series controllers have fixed that issue, and is a worthwhile upgrade.
Matt
Old 23-04-2015, 21:25   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
This shop was mentioned before, but they might be ale to help you, I noticed they sell the circuit replacement kits, among other things:
Bluemarinestore.com

another one I found is:
emarinesystems.com

Also this article might be of interest:
Can not recommend Spreco Silentwind Wind Generator - S/V Gudrun V

And lastly, I would stay away from the cheap chinese wind gennys as I haven't heard anything good about them, apart from the price.
And I forgot to mention the very helpful Matt at Neptune's Gear
Old 23-04-2015, 23:04   #26

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you have, can rig up, or borrow, the gear to check the weight & balance of your blades, then it'd likely be worth filling in the pits & other defects. Especially to include the leading & trailing edge profiles. It should help both with the noise issues, & likely boost the generator's output a bit as well.
I've done as much on a couple of different types of wind genny's, & it was surely worth it.

While I'm not familiar with this brand of wind genny, I know that some guys will rig up a brake from a bicycle (disc, or standard pads) to help with stopping the blade. And or locking it in place.
The feasibility of such would depend on the configuration of the generator's hub, & one's tinkering skills. A friend did one years ago, & other than it eating rubber brake pads a little often, it was a good mod'.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote