Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2021, 22:52   #1

Boat: Roberts 57 Schooner
All electric galley

I am about to replace the cooker in our boat and am trying to figure out which of these options to choose:
  • Straight replacement propane cooktop + propane oven
  • Propane cooktop + fancy microwave/oven/air fryer combo thing
  • Induction cooktop + fancy microwave/oven/air fryer combo thing

It's a pretty attractive thought to get rid of the propane altogether, but not if that means we have to give up on some of the other electrical comforts.

We have a 1120 a/h LiFePO4 @12v bank with 1520w of solar keeping it topped off. With current usage we seem to use the top 20% - 25% of the battery capacity and are generally topped off by lunch time on a reasonably sunny day. We have no genset and do not want one.

What do you think?
pwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 23:04   #2

Re: All electric galley

I am considering doing the third option, but my preferred alternative would be to use a hybrid cooktop that has one burner propane and one induction. Unfortunately, the one available is 2 inches wider then the gap in my galley. So I am going with option #3.
The major benefit for me is to get rid of the need to find propane, especially in the islands where the standards are not always what we have in USA/Canada.
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:10   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L

We removed all our propane and are replacing with an induction hob and a countertop oven (not a microwave), so it’s option 2.5 I guess. We are installing a 700aH 12V LFP house battery and have 1000W solar (soon to be increased to 2600W). Based on our prior experience with 660aH of AGM batteries we should have plenty of energy. We do have a small AC generator for cloudy days and long winter nights.

From various reviews it seems an induction hob is a no-brainer as a first step to an electric kitchen - the efficiency of the induction method far out weighs propane. I’m not sure that a split system is worthwhile, but I have seen people keep their propane hob and oven and use a portable single induction hob - this definitely has the lowest cost of entry and is a way to test without full commitment.

The propane oven is harder to replace, especially if you bake or roast. We will see how well the countertop oven (a Breville Smart Oven Pro that will store and operate in the oven cavity) performs and the energy it consumes.

Microwaves are particularly good at quick heating - likely less common when long-term cruising and lessened time pressures - so we decided it wasn’t worth the extra expense for an all-in-one unit. YMMV
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:25   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Our last two galleys have been all electric, and worked well for us. We even once did a turkey for our Thanksgiving holiday in the combo microwave/convection oven, turned out great.

The cooktops weren't induction, though.... and I'd imagine induction would work even better.

-Chris

Tags
electric, galley